Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Apr 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,293 of 2,306
Not selling mine!  The only scenario would be a Stax setup but..........I've not heard one.  Plus that would be a ways off.  The LL would be top of my list for that.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,294 of 2,306
I'd want to have both for sure. 

:D

Can't see mine leaving anytime soon either.

Quote:
Not selling mine!  The only scenario would be a Stax setup but..........I've not heard one.  Plus that would be a ways off.  The LL would be top of my list for that.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,295 of 2,306
Alright tube rollers. I need your help. What kinds of tubes can I use in the LF? 6922 obviously, but what should I be looking for in a potential tube to make sure it'll work alright?

Finally getting curious about swapping out the JJs.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,296 of 2,306
I'm mainly just trying to make sure they'll work and then just pick a set myself. Not looking for anything too high, but there's plenty of NOS tubes in my price range from what it looks like.

I just don't know what to look for in the specs and numbers to make sure they'll work. First experience with actually doing it myself. I've used vintage tube gear before but never looked into actual tubes.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,297 of 2,306
@Morbid - Siemens/Halske E88CC with "A" frame getters are a very good and relatively inexpensive way to start. My personal preference were the Siemens/Halske E88CC with "O" getters, but like the newbie above said, Telefunken, if you can find them, can be quite the cat's meow.

I'd also be interested in how a NOS Mullard would sound in the LF. I know Skylab's been rather fond of them in other amps.

Bottom line is toss the JJs.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,298 of 2,306
One more thing, Morbid. Tubes in positions 1 and 3 from the left will impact the sound quality the most, so conceivably you could also start with just a pair of better tubes. I verified this myself by inserting JJs in slots 2 and 4 and the sound degradation was minimal.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #1,299 of 2,306
At ~200 bucks a tube the Telefunken is more than I'd want to spend at the moment but I could see it in the future I suppose. 

Mainly trying to get an idea of how much the sound really changes with new tubes and then I'll decide if I really want to invest or not. Price to performance ratio is null at this level, but 800 bucks could be used elsewhere in my rig at the moment.

EDIT: I'd probably be going for a quad set of whatever I picked. I'd have a heart attack mixing and matching like that. lol

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,300 of 2,306
Well, I did the mixing temporarily to try something out.

The sound difference with better tubes is impossible to go unnoticed. With the Siemens, the LF is IMO a much, much better performer. Try it, you'll see. Actually, I have a spare set of Siemens E88CC I can loan you. If interested PM me.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,301 of 2,306
I've experimented with the following NOS tubes in my Liquid Fire. I paid around $100 a tube for each of these. In order of preference:

1. Siemens CCa (1960s): best balance from top to bottom, fantastic bass quantity, very musical.
2. Amperex 7308 USA-made Orange Globes: best imaging, best upper end detail, relatively bass-light but very tight bass
3. Mullard CV2493 (the ones made for the Swedish miliary in the molded Styrofoam boxes): fantastically warm and musical, great imaging, great bass quantity but relatively sloppy in quality, lacking in top-end detail

I ditched the JJs after one day.

Note that Cavalli does not recommend using ECC88 tubes, even though many resources claim that E88CC and ECC88 are completely interchangeable. He also maintains that the Matsu****a 7DJ8s (I think that's right) should not be used.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,302 of 2,306
I might take you up on that.

It's definitely one that I was looking at. It's about at the cap of what I'd want to spend right now. Seems like it's tough to find atm.

Has anyone tried the Tungsram E88CC? Price is right and I'd like something that could possibly give me more detail.

Quote:
Well, I did the mixing temporarily to try something out.

The sound difference with better tubes is impossible to go unnoticed. With the Siemens, the LF is IMO a much, much better performer. Try it, you'll see. Actually, I have a spare set of Siemens E88CC I can loan you. If interested PM me.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,303 of 2,306
I use the TUngsram Red Print E88CCs.. I like them a lot especially cause of the weight they bring toi the presentation in the speaker rig. Not as detailed or smooth as the siemes though. 

Give the 6N23s that Don suggested a try though. 

I just haven't had that much interest in audio gear lately, else that would be definitely something high on my list of things to try. And the price is right.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #1,304 of 2,306
If only my LF was a preamp, too. 

I'm still riding Alex to make a pre. :D

EDIT: The Tungsram Reds are at the top of my list atm, but has anyone used a current production tube like the Gold Lion E88CC?

Quote:
I use the TUngsram Red Print E88CCs.. I like them a lot especially cause of the weight they bring toi the presentation in the speaker rig. Not as detailed or smooth as the siemes though. 

Give the 6N23s that Don suggested a try though. 

I just haven't had that much interest in audio gear lately, else that would be definitely something high on my list of things to try. And the price is right.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,305 of 2,306
Well, I just bought Nick's (mwilson's) Liquid Fire.
biggrin.gif

Happy to be joining the club and thanks for the discussion on tube rolling. I plan to right after the amp shows up next week. But I'll need to jetison some of my WA22 tubes as well (and amp in case anyone is interested).

Quick question, how low is the noise floor for low impedance / efficient dynamic headphones like the W3000ANV with this amp?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back