Campfire - Solaris
Mar 9, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #3,961 of 12,035
The Korean weather is actually pretty nice today however I'm held up inside doing cable comparisons for all you lovely people. (please note I'm not the best at reviewing but here I go)

SLitz: Compared to the SE version of the same cable the soundstage does widen but just by a little, for some tracks I couldn't hear the difference and also was the same with separation. Now the bass did seem to be just a pinch deeper but not a real big difference, could only tell on bass heavy tracks. Now I don't have a problem with the mids, to me they are a little recessed but I like it that way, the balanced cable to me brings it forward and makes vocals sound a little better. The treble before didn't have that sparkle to me in SE but with the balanced, it's all there in its glory, similar to the Andromeda. Little to no microphonics

Ref 8: This cable changes the Solaris to more of a V-shape, the bass gets a nice and deep boost and the treble gets a cleaner sparkle. Easy to tell wider soundstage and better separation compared to SLitz. The mids take a step back but not too much to sound recessed or hollow. A good amount of microphonics can overpower quite tracks.

SCX 8: Another interesting change this time the Solaris has a warm sound signature with a fantastic upper treble sparkle. Out of the three, it has the best soundstage and separation, compared to the Slitz it is easier to hear the difference but compared to the Ref 8 the difference is less noticeable but still there. The one things that gets me is everything seems boosted, using the same DAP and not changing the volume compared to the other two everything is louder and I needed to turn it down by a little. The microphonics is a real big problem here, the noise can over power any song you listen to.

did u find, unplug Ref8 is very difficult??
Ref8 MMCX is really hold on tight to Solaris

SCX 8 needs 'em Rosenkranz Auto Rosen sticker.
hahaha... you getting carried away :triportsad:

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #3,963 of 12,035
@fokta, fortunately on all three cables the MMCX connectors are the same and I find them to be very well done. No issues what so ever and they do hold wonderfully even through what I do to them. If you like to SLitz SE cable that came with the Solaris it's the same one on the Ref 8.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #3,964 of 12,035
1552191590449923927401.jpg
Kek

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,966 of 12,035
How do you find the Z1r compared to the Solaris. i am having trouble deciding what to get.

Depends on what sound signature you want, solaris is more flat and z1r is U/V shape. I'm not going to get into the techincalities since I'm bias.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #3,969 of 12,035
Nice...

btw, is it true u need to warming up 30 minutes if u want to use the tube amp SE??
and what about noise? (habit)

Warm up of the Korg Nutube is only 5 seconds, however the tube cable only be used in SE not balanced so I have not been using the tube or SE output. The N8 is a pretty sick player.

Ken will you and the team be at axpona this year. I hope so I am looking forward to trying the gold cables with my Solaris .

I think we have to skip Axpona this year. But would have to check with Caleb on that one. Def LA though.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #3,970 of 12,035
Lol, OK, you got me. I remember the Polaris diagram, but some of your biggest hitters like the Andromeda and the Solaris didn't get this kind of attention. I just think it would give some extra "credibility" to your description of the products (and to be frank, I just like looking at this kind of stuff).

Candlejack,

10-4 I hear you, me too! very cool stuff. We have been kind of stretched thin over the last year working on stuff which is why the extra polish got put on the back burner. We do want to do more vides and info campaigns.

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,971 of 12,035
Can anyone comment on the bass response of the Solaris, in particular if and how it responds to burn-in (and also the general response to burn-in)? My understanding is that it has the same driver as the Atlas but that it's been toned down considerably. TIA.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #3,972 of 12,035
Candlejack,

10-4 I hear you, me too! very cool stuff. We have been kind of stretched thin over the last year working on stuff which is why the extra polish got put on the back burner. We do want to do more vides and info campaigns.

Kb
Big thumbs up from me then!

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #3,973 of 12,035
Can anyone comment on the bass response of the Solaris, in particular if and how it responds to burn-in (and also the general response to burn-in)? My understanding is that it has the same driver as the Atlas but that it's been toned down considerably. TIA.

There are some impressions before and after burn in on the review I posted recently (too long to post the sections here, so it's on the link below):

https://audioprimate.blog/2019/02/17/campfire-audio-solaris-sound-like-the-sun/

Hope that helps!

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,974 of 12,035

I find solaris quite reactive to burn in. For first two days I thought it was just too dull and congested, so was about to sell it off but on its 3rd day it magically opened up. Now it is one of my favorite iem.

The bass is not too heavy. I cannot handle too much bass like LX is overly done. The solaris has just a right amount of slam.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,975 of 12,035
I find solaris quite reactive to burn in. For first two days I thought it was just too dull and congested, so was about to sell it off but on its 3rd day it magically opened up. Now it is one of my favorite iem.

The bass is not too heavy. I cannot handle too much bass like LX is overly done. The solaris has just a right amount of slam.

Agreed. Have the LX and phantom and those are great headphones but my solaris is my favorite so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back