Campfire - Solaris
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #7,426 of 12,035
The clear ones are the best because of the larger bore opening but the larger second flange can sometimes irritate the inner ear if you push it too deep. The middle black one has a slightly smaller bore but is also quite good and less irritating because of the smaller second flange. The last black one is not very good as it doesn’t have a long enough “stem” before the first flange, causing it to go over the Solaris body. Unfortunately I can’t find the clear ones anywhere but I managed the find the smaller bore black ones with a long stem on amazon.

the double flange really do sound the best! just tried tip rolling vs a lot of other tips i have and these fit the best, isolate the best and sound the best. might even go and make a custom tip sometime.
now it's a double flange hunt :^)

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #7,427 of 12,035
Every day I'm more and more impressed with what a "total package" IEM Solaris is-- everything hits just the right note, nothing overshadows anything else...CFA truly has achieved a Zen level of balance here imho. Nicely done.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #7,428 of 12,035
Every day I'm more and more impressed with what a "total package" IEM Solaris is-- everything hits just the right note, nothing overshadows anything else...CFA truly has achieved a Zen level of balance here imho. Nicely done.
i'm using the 9038s right now and in my personal opinion, the solaris could use a bit more bass, with more resolution in the mids.
it seems that the lower mids affect the higher frequencies a bit too, do those issues get fixed with the n6ii?

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #7,429 of 12,035
i'm using the 9038s right now and in my personal opinion, the solaris could use a bit more bass, with more resolution in the mids.
it seems that the lower mids affect the higher frequencies a bit too, do those issues get fixed with the n6ii?

I should clarify and stay that I'm not trying to claim that Solaris is perfect or anything-- I don't think any IEM is, or could be really given that our own tastes and preferences factor very heavily into what we like. That being clarified I will say that Solaris comes closer to hitting all my personal targets with minimal sacrifices than anything else I have heard. So YMMV, and all that.

Regarding your comment-- my one nitpick about OG Solaris was that I wished for a bit more bass from time to time...but I don't find myself feeling this way at all with SE. I don't think this has to do with it having more impact per se (which I don't think it does) but more with the subtle refinements and the gestalt of the whole presentation. When I want more bass I throw on my LX for a bit but after a while I always missing the air and balance of Solaris. In terms of the n6ii-- it doesn't provide a subtle, I wouldn't say boost, perhaps "emphasis" is the better word...to the low end.

I don't personally find the mids lacking resolution in general-- though the upper mids/lower treble are tucked into the background a wee bit, though I don't notice it all the time. I've been toying with n6ii's very effective EQ and right now I'm running Solaris with a 2.5DB boost at 4k and a 1DB and 1.5DB drop at 1 and 2k each respectively-- and this has opened things up top a wee bit and is a slight improvement to my ears.

Edit: Further to your query, if you could provide a reference track maybe I could listen and see if I can hear what you're hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #7,430 of 12,035
I should clarify and stay that I'm not trying to claim that Solaris is perfect or anything-- I don't think any IEM is, or could be really given that our own tastes and preferences factor very heavily into what we like. That being clarified I will say that Solaris comes closer to hitting all my personal targets with minimal sacrifices than anything else I have heard. So YMMV, and all that.

Regarding your comment-- my one nitpick about OG Solaris was that I wished for a bit more bass from time to time...but I don't find myself feeling this way at all with SE. I don't think this has to do with it having more impact per se (which I don't think it does) but more with the subtle refinements and the gestalt of the whole presentation. When I want more bass I throw on my LX for a bit but after a while I always missing the air and balance of Solaris. In terms of the n6ii-- it doesn't provide a subtle, I wouldn't say boost, perhaps "emphasis" is the better word...to the low end.

I don't personally find the mids lacking resolution in general-- though the upper mids/lower treble are tucked into the background a wee bit, though I don't notice it all the time. I've been toying with n6ii's very effective EQ and right now I'm running Solaris with a 2.5DB boost at 4k and a 1DB and 1.5DB drop at 1 and 2k each respectively-- and this has opened things up top a wee bit and is a slight improvement to my ears.

Edit: Further to your query, if you could provide a reference track maybe I could listen and see if I can hear what you're hearing.
bank account by 21 savage, particularly the string instrument in the beat, in comparison to my ier z1r and 1am2, it's simply different, it feels more compressed and less revealed even tho the imaging and seperation in solaris SE is far better than both. maybe it's just the FR that's being wonky? anyways, hope n6ii will bring more uppermids and treble to the mix, will EQ if it doesn't

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #7,431 of 12,035
bank account by 21 savage, particularly the string instrument in the beat, in comparison to my ier z1r and 1am2, it's simply different, it feels more compressed and less revealed even tho the imaging and seperation in solaris SE is far better than both. maybe it's just the FR that's being wonky? anyways, hope n6ii will bring more uppermids and treble to the mix, will EQ if it doesn't

It could be the FR, specifically since you seem to be talking about something within the upper mid region. Solaris has a recession in that area and on the Z1R they are much more prominent (whereas on the Z1R it's the lower mids that are recessed and less prominent than on Solaris). Tit for tat, etc. I will take a listen to the track though.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #7,432 of 12,035

I get this impression too, especially after listening to an iem that doesn’t have this like the Legend X.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #7,433 of 12,035
I got my new brand IER-Z1R last week and I have decided to sell Solaris.

Solaris have a more balanced bass, and maybe a little better midrange (although I am willing to argue and compare in the test tracks). In all other sound aspects, they are behind Z1R. Sony wins in the width and depth of the soundstage, spacious, holographic, immersive, sound volume. Z1R are very close to the sound of full-size headphones. Compared to Z1R, Solaris sounds like a smaller model of big sound.

I also read here earlier about the coherence issue of Z1R. Absolutely disagree with this. All sound is fed together and in one sound stream.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #7,434 of 12,035
I got my new brand IER-Z1R last week and I have decided to sell Solaris.

Solaris have a more balanced bass, and maybe a little better midrange (although I am willing to argue and compare in the test tracks). In all other sound aspects, they are behind Z1R. Sony wins in the width and depth of the soundstage, spacious, holographic, immersive, sound volume. Z1R are very close to the sound of full-size headphones. Compared to Z1R, Solaris sounds like a smaller model of big sound.

I also read here earlier about the coherence issue of Z1R. Absolutely disagree with this. All sound is fed together and in one sound stream.

Yeeessssss!

ViwL.gif

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #7,436 of 12,035
In all other sound aspects, they are behind Z1R. Sony wins in the width and depth of the soundstage, spacious, holographic, immersive, sound volume. Z1R are very close to the sound of full-size headphones. Compared to Z1R, Solaris sounds like a smaller model of big sound.

I owned the Z1R last summer and spent hours going back and forth between them and would strongly disagree with all of this. I will give the Z1R points for bass texture and sub-bass extension...but the Solaris wins on everything else imho. That said, we all hear things differently and I'm glad you found something you like. Enjoy the Z1R and your apprenticeship under Darth Candlejack.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #7,437 of 12,035
If possible, do try SP2K, seems it may fullfill what u wanted.

Yeeessssss!

ViwL.gif

hahaha... why you always make disturbance and mixed the Force...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #7,438 of 12,035
I owned the Z1R last summer and spent hours going back and forth between them and would strongly disagree with all of this. I will give the Z1R points for bass texture and sub-bass extension...but the Solaris wins on everything else imho. That said, we all hear things differently and I'm glad you found something you like. Enjoy the Z1R and your apprenticeship under Darth Candlejack.

I am the master myself.

I also spent a lot of time comparing between different headphones. I also have TOTL isodynamic headphones with a natural, lively, large, smooth sound. Z1R is much closer to them because they sound like full-size headphones and has a big sound with more bass, and Solaris has compressed sound and sounds just like IEM

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #7,439 of 12,035
I am the master myself.

I also spent a lot of time comparing between different headphones. I also have TOTL isodynamic headphones with a natural, lively, large, smooth sound. Z1R is much closer to them because they sound like full-size headphones and has a big sound with more bass, and Solaris has compressed sound and sounds just like IEM

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that...again, glad you've found something that works for you.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #7,440 of 12,035
I am the master myself.

If you like a bigger more open sound go with the ALO Gold 16 cable with the Solaris. This was running them balanced on the WM-1Z.

Supposedly my Double Helix Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver Type4 8 wire is suppose to ship out tomorrow and will be interested in seeing who it compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back