Campfire - Solaris
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #7,306 of 12,035
Well, the OG is more aggressive. I wouldn’t necessarily equate aggressive to better or more refined, there are plenty of instances of overly aggressive IEMs that become unpleasant (in my opinion the OG is an example). But I’m sure there are some who prefer the rougher tuning and harder transients of the OG to the SE - Crinacle is one.
Interestingly, this is why I'd prefer the OG over the SE; I think the original Solaris has a pleasantly aggressive tone. I'm sensitive to harsh peaks in the higher registers, but I didn't find anything that remotely offends me in the Solaris' treble presentation.

In any case, I wish I could find some time (read: stop being lazy) to try the SE for myself.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #7,307 of 12,035
Interestingly, this is why I'd prefer the OG over the SE; I think the original Solaris has a pleasantly aggressive tone. I'm sensitive to harsh peaks in the higher registers, but I didn't find anything that remotely offends me in the Solaris' treble presentation.

In any case, I wish I could find some time (read: stop being lazy) to try the SE for myself.

To add a conflicting view, imho there is nothing remotely aggressive in OG Solaris' sound. In fact, one of the reasons I was swayed over to the VX for a little while is that I preferred its slightly more aggressive presentation. The OG Solaris is comparatively very polite. Going further I would say that that SE Solaris is slightly more aggressive than OG, while not quite at the level of VX, which works for me as I found that IEM to be a little fatiguing in certain regions of the treble at times. To my ears SE has a more "in your face" nature than OG, which is to my liking, as it does not venture into harshness at all for me. YMMV and all that, however.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #7,308 of 12,035
“The best fights are the ones we avoid.” – Jackie Chan
"You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend."
- Chong Li, vinyl enthusiast and 3 time World Kumite Champion

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #7,309 of 12,035
"Stop please" (c) fullbass

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #7,310 of 12,035
I never really thought that tips really made a difference besides comfort, I’ve been using the medium dekoni tips for awhile now but had to change them today, they were getting a bit worn so I switched to the small and it became much brighter and sharp to me. Is that from the air moving threw my ear canal now that there is more space between tip and skin? My setup is Solaris with mojo/poly. Any tip suggestions?

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #7,311 of 12,035
I never really thought that tips really made a difference besides comfort, I’ve been using the medium dekoni tips for awhile now but had to change them today, they were getting a bit worn so I switched to the small and it became much brighter and sharp to me. Is that from the air moving threw my ear canal now that there is more space between tip and skin? My setup is Solaris with mojo/poly. Any tip suggestions?

My bias with tips is anything that will give you a good seal-- this is the most important factor for me. Also, people say that the wider the bore -> more treble and less bass, but I haven't noticed this as much myself.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #7,312 of 12,035
CMIIW, what I understand, you must know where you sound to be,
Big bore diameter is tends bright, and reduce the mid bass impact,
Small Bore diameter tends to make Mid bass punchier, but roll off the Hi Treble.
Long Bore canal, often make treble spike, and can roll off Mid bass
Short bore canal, often make the bass more weight, but also reduce a lot of treble.
and so on... Material, foam etc, I can not define each..
Based on my exp....

Eartip is a quite long journey, but the sound different you will perceive at once, not like cable.. hehehe...

edit: like rockwell said, Seal on Solaris is the crucial part..

edit 2: found in short explanation given to me.. I was mixed up on my statement above...
Wide bore = bright
Narrow bore = warm
Long stem = bright
Short stem = warm
the fun part.. it can be combined or mixed, e.g. Wide Bore with Long stem, Bright-Warm, the result can be vary...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #7,313 of 12,035
can anyone please who has both solaris and solairs Se compare them using this song

which model do the vocals sound more forward and detailed, as Brendan Perry has an ethereal voice, so the more details in mids the better

also if you can comment on bass, highs and sound stage comparing both versions

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #7,314 of 12,035
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #7,315 of 12,035
also if you can comment on bass, highs and sound stage comparing both versions

Bass is more impact in M9 on this track. Impact and powerful, but detailed and layered.
I don’t hear there especially highs. Can't say anything here

Soundstage.
Solaris OG - Vocals and instruments sound at approximately the same line; they are a short distance from you.
M9 - The vocals are highlighted and sounds very close. The instruments also sound closer than in Solaris, but I hear more details.

Brendan Perry's magic.
I think with M9 I fall into a trance stronger than with Solaris

Unfortunately, I do not have Solaris SE

UPD: Cayin N6 II A01 / Sony IER-M9 with ALO Audio Pure Silver Litz / CA Solaris with ALO Audio Refercence 8

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #7,316 of 12,035
Bass is more impact in M9 on this track. Impact and powerful, but detailed and layered.
I don’t hear there especially highs. Can't say anything here

Soundstage.
Solaris OG - Vocals and instruments sound at approximately the same line; they are a short distance from you.
M9 - The vocals are highlighted and sounds very close. The instruments also sound closer than in Solaris, but I hear more details.

Brendan Perry's magic.
I think with M9 I fall into a trance stronger than with Solaris

Unfortunately, I do not have Solaris SE

UPD: Cayin N6 II A01 / Sony IER-M9 with ALO Audio Pure Silver Litz / CA Solaris with ALO Audio Refercence 8

hmmm i have ier z1r how different is it from m9

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #7,317 of 12,035
hmmm i have ier z1r how different is it from m9

Z1R is more fun and tuned to me

Solaris and M9 are more balanced and natural. So yes Z1R will sound differently

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #7,319 of 12,035
URGENT !!!
I need your help urgently. Recently, there are a bunch of deal on taobao and ebay that sell Ref 8 or Gold 16 cables with crazy low prices. Some resources claim they are fake, some claim they aren't. Could you please confirm for me to recognize a legit Alo cable? And is it have Alo trade mark on 4.4 Jack on Ref 8 or 16 Gold cable? Because there is on my SXC-8 cable.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #7,320 of 12,035
URGENT !!!
I need your help urgently. Recently, there are a bunch of deal on taobao and ebay that sell Ref 8 or Gold 16 cables with crazy low prices. Some resources claim they are fake, some claim they aren't. Could you please confirm for me to recognize a legit Alo cable? And is it have Alo trade mark on 4.4 Jack on Ref 8 or 16 Gold cable? Because there is on my SXC-8 cable.
This question is for ALO themselves. My answer is no, there is no way to confirm legitimacy. Except for listening to the cable to see if it improves bass impact, treble sparkle and expands the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back