Campfire - Solaris
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #7,081 of 12,035
Had a first longer listen today- I had no trouble selecting the right tips this time around (compared to my experience with the OG Solaris);
I cannot wait to get my CustomArt eartips for the best possible fit/seal.

The SE haven't seen a proper burn in just yet but I am already liking the sound signature across lows, mids and highs.
Loving it so far!

EDIT: time for a quick comparison using my Hugo 2 (vs Mojo&Poly)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #7,082 of 12,035
Time to update the avatar again, then? :)
I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Although, I can't help but think that if you weren't happy enough with the OG to keep it, the SE will probably not keep you satisfied in the long run either.

The tide of events certainly lends itself to that thought, however it's also possible that my selling them earlier was rooted less in dissatisfaction than the excitement of trying new gear. My interest in the SE Solaris I think owes itself at least a little to the fact that part of me was very much missing the Solaris sound...and my first hours with the SE have confirmed that. Time will tell though.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #7,083 of 12,035
Fotor_157696562887453.jpg

It's beautiful thing.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #7,084 of 12,035
OK updated impressions. I burned the SE in for 180 hours on high gain. Again I listened to a mix of 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files and some DSD. I'm using Advanced Sound Custom Tips which makes switching better the OG and SE easier along with ensuring that the depth and seal is consistent. For my final impressions I switched to the ALO SXC 8 Balanced Cable which is more common than the ALO Gold 16 I previously used. Also after my previous impression post, I did some experimentation with the OG and SE on the Sony NW-WM1Z and found I preferred Low Gain Direct Mode over High Gain Direct Mode.

I added a new track for the testing, so here is the updated list in an easier to read format:

Track List.jpg

Before doing the comparison I went thru every track to determine the best volume while using the OG. It was interesting that the volume levels ranged from a low of 50 to a maximum of 75. But the most common level was 60.

For the comparison, I would set the predetermined volume level for a track and then listen to it start to finish with the OG and take notes while listening. Then I would switch to the SE and again listen start to finish and write down what was different to me.

So what's the verdict? It's a keeper.

Why? Overall I found that the SE sounds more open and has a wider and deeper soundstage. More of a 3-D sound. I also find that the vocals on the SE are more forward than the OG which at times seems to be recessed. A lot of the acoustic instruments; drums, strings, horns and piano sounded more natural. To me, the SE sounds cleaner more refined. Be warned, there was a big difference in the bass between first listen and 180 hours. So don't rush your opinion.

During the comparison session it felt to me that the bass on the OG (which has over 300 hours on it) was more muddy versus the SE which was just as deep but cleaner more defined. So the SE doesn't have more bass, it just has better cleaner bass.

Finally, the more I listened to the Solaris SE I keep thinking of the Andromeda Gold SE. The sound is very similar, but the Solaris can go much deeper. I'm going to have to do a head to head with a lot of different genres and track resolutions to see which is best for what. I consider myself lucky that I can afford both SE models.

Thank you @KB for another outstanding IEM.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #7,085 of 12,035
I also find that the vocals on the SE are more forward than the OG which at times seems to be recessed.

This...this right here. As I've indicated given how long it's been since I've heard OG I'm reluctant to make any definitive pronouncements about the relative differences...however the one thing I'm very confident of is that vocals sound way better on the SE-- more forward, more intimate, richer. Mark Knopfler and Morrissey sound like they're in the room with me singing right into my ear. Listening to Michael Jackson on OG I felt I had a little idea what was meant by the "nasally mids"...not so on the SE...MJ sounds wonderful.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #7,086 of 12,035
OK updated impressions. I burned the SE in for 180 hours on high gain. Again I listened to a mix of 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files and some DSD. I'm using Advanced Sound Custom Tips which makes switching better the OG and SE easier along with ensuring that the depth and seal is consistent. For my final impressions I switched to the ALO SXC 8 Balanced Cable which is more common than the ALO Gold 16 I previously used. Also after my previous impression post, I did some experimentation with the OG and SE on the Sony NW-WM1Z and found I preferred Low Gain Direct Mode over High Gain Direct Mode.

I added a new track for the testing, so here is the updated list in an easier to read format:

Before doing the comparison I went thru every track to determine the best volume while using the OG. It was interesting that the volume levels ranged from a low of 50 to a maximum of 75. But the most common level was 60.

For the comparison, I would set the predetermined volume level for a track and then listen to it start to finish with the OG and take notes while listening. Then I would switch to the SE and again listen start to finish and write down what was different to me.

Why? Overall I found that the SE sounds more open and has a wider and deeper soundstage. More of a 3-D sound. I also find that the vocals on the SE are more forward than the OG which at times seems to be recessed. A lot of the acoustic instruments; drums, strings, horns and piano sounded more natural. To me, the SE sounds cleaner more refined. Be warned, there was a big difference in the bass between first listen and 180 hours. So don't rush your opinion.

During the comparison session it felt to me that the bass on the OG (which has over 300 hours on it) was more muddy versus the SE which was just as deep but cleaner more defined. So the SE doesn't have more bass, it just has better cleaner bass.

Finally, the more I listened to the Solaris SE I keep thinking of the Andromeda Gold SE. The sound is very similar, but the Solaris can go much deeper. I'm going to have to do a head to head with a lot of different genres and track resolutions to see which is best for what. I consider myself lucky that I can afford both SE models.

This post makes me want to get off these forums... For the sake of my wallet.

Can you provide any more comparisons between this and the andro gold? I ha e the andro gold and really like them. But as someone who enjoys good dd bass, I find the gold's a bit lacking for me down at the low end. I could use a bit more extensions, rumble and impact. But everything else about the andro gold sounds great to me. Overall very nice, but I just find myself wishing for a bit more physicality down low. Hadn't really considered the Solaris before and I likely still shouldn't, but would definitely be interested in more comparisons.

May however have a chance to hear the Solaris SE within the next few weeks though.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #7,087 of 12,035

Can you provide any more comparisons between this and the andro gold? I ha e the andro gold and really like them. But as someone who enjoys good dd bass, I find the gold's a bit lacking for me down at the low end. I could use a bit more extensions, rumble and impact. But everything else about the andro gold sounds great to me. Overall very nice, but I just find myself wishing for a bit more physicality down low. Hadn't really considered the Solaris before and I likely still shouldn't, but would definitely be interested in more comparisons.

May however have a chance to hear the Solaris SE within the next few weeks though.

The bass on Solaris SE is really good, but it is by no means bass heavy. The real star of the show in this case is the midrange I think.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #7,088 of 12,035

I can only comment to Solaris OG , golds have more mid bass impact , you get better subbass rumble on Solaris but less overall impact . From the post here it won’t be different with the SE just cleaner :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #7,089 of 12,035
This...this right here. As I've indicated given how long it's been since I've heard OG I'm reluctant to make any definitive pronouncements about the relative differences...however the one thing I'm very confident of is that vocals sound way better on the SE-- more forward, more intimate, richer. Mark Knopfler and Morrissey sound like they're in the room with me singing right into my ear. Listening to Michael Jackson on OG I felt I had a little idea what was meant by the "nasally mids"...not so on the SE...MJ sounds wonderful.

Was also asking these in Discord... can you discribe Nasally Mid?
Which MJ song?

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #7,090 of 12,035
Which MJ song?

I have the Off the Wall album in 24 bit Flac and the track I used for reference was Get On the Floor. Nasally mids make him sound vaguely like he has a cold. It's subtle and it wasn't until I heard this song on the SE Solaris that I really understood what it meant.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #7,091 of 12,035
Which MJ song?
I can't really give any specifics because it was too long ago, but I remember thinking "nasal vocals" too when I compared it to the Andromeda S. Not a lot, but enough to make me notice.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #7,092 of 12,035

Can you try also some ABX, for the sake of science at least?

Dec 22, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #7,093 of 12,035

Great job, I know I kinda called out originally bit you certainly make a stellar recovery!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #7,095 of 12,035
Any more impressions to the original guys? Looking for reviews but they’re scarce.

I would love to hear more impressions as well but honestly imho so far I think @Lookout57 hit the nail on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back