Campfire - Solaris
Jul 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5,838 of 12,035
I will have the Kann Cube in the next couple of days and am looking forward to pairing the Solaris. It has been a while since I have had an A&K. I had the Kann briefly, but prior was the 100 ii and 120 ii.

It should be an interesting comparison between the QA361 and Cube even though the Solaris is so easy to drive.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #5,840 of 12,035
I have tested the Mojo a friend let me use his and it is really good but I don't like the look of it, was hoping the Q5 or xdsd would be as good or better. Thanks for the input.

I have both the Mojo and the Q5 and I prefer the Q5 in most regards. I rarely use the Mojo anymore.

I had also considered the xDSD but ended up going with the Q5 instead. What I didn’t like about the xDSD: reports of Bluetooth problems, the non-standard balanced output jack size, it being a fingerprint magnet. Also, what I liked about the Q5 was the additional flexibility with swappable amp modules.

You way wish to wait for the Q5S, available in August, or get a deal on the current model.

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #5,841 of 12,035
I have both the Mojo and the Q5 and I prefer the Q5 in most regards. I rarely use the Mojo anymore.

I had also considered the xDSD but ended up going with the Q5 instead. What I didn’t like about the xDSD: reports of Bluetooth problems, the non-standard balanced output jack size, it being a fingerprint magnet. Also, what I liked about the Q5 was the additional flexibility with swappable amp modules.

You way wish to wait for the Q5S, available in August, or get a deal on the current model.

I am most likely going for the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. I'm not sure how much better the Q5S will be in terms of sound quality in comparison.

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #5,842 of 12,035
Again been at it all morning and I still have no crazy hiss, with my CDM. I tied with my IfI imatch and without it and it sounds around the same. Maybe it’s my tong sol 6111 tubes, I have not change tubes yet. I have Andromeda also and no hiss with my unit.

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #5,843 of 12,035
Again been at it all morning and I still have no crazy hiss, with my CDM. I tied with my IfI imatch and without it and it sounds around the same. Maybe it’s my tong sol 6111 tubes, I have not change tubes yet. I have Andromeda also and no hiss with my unit.
maybe , i have the stock tubes....

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #5,846 of 12,035
Posted in the Andromeda thread and probably relevant here.
@audio123

Physical differences are the inner core/stem is color coded on the ++.
It also seems to be slightly firmer and and have a better lip to grip the IEM nozzle for a better seal.

The ++ outer is more a smoother matt and soft feeling (but still firm) finish, whilst the original has a more shiny harder surface.

The original has good body when a correct seal is achieved with a slight V.

The ++ has more mids.

@audio123 care to weigh in?

As can be seen above the size is generally the same. The bore opening is generally the same if not identical.

Above a comparison to the (original) Andromeda Silicone tips - not sure if they have changed. And the original JVC spiral Dots.
Could you measure what is the inner bore diameter for Size M ?

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #5,850 of 12,035
Is there a way to get large spiral dot ++ shipped to Canada?
Super expensive everywhere I have seen them and I am in the States. I will wait a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back