Campfire - Solaris
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #5,807 of 12,035
Hello. I got my solaris yesterday and had a quick question.

I am looking to buy a portable dac but don't know which one to get. I am looking at the chord mojo, fiio q5 and ifi xdsd. Does anyone else have any input or advice on those 3 or what other ones i should be looking at? My budget is around $750 CAD.

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,808 of 12,035
Given what you're describing it sounds like speakers would make you scratch your head even more.

I don't know why but I really dislike the idea of speakers in general.
I like speakers because they are social, and great when you bring girls over.
My Magnepans are babe magnets :)
And they sound pretty damn good too.

You just have to listen to a bunch of quality sets, they grow on you.

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #5,809 of 12,035

I am looking to buy a portable dac but don't know which one to get. I am looking at the chord mojo, fiio q5 and ifi xdsd. Does anyone else have any input or advice on those 3 or what other ones i should be looking at? My budget is around $750 CAD.
Better try if possible,

Mojo there's a Hiss with Solaris, can be tame by ifi iematch. but somehow, It also tame the dynamic (please try urself, this is subjective)

Fiio Q5, is nice if u like puncy low in SE.
I found a little hiss in Balanced...
never try the upgrade amp module.

ifi Xdsd, never try. so can't comment...

I had tried,
Topping NX4DSD, neutral tends to Bright, low hiss, but inbalanced in low volume. Have Bass boost.
Fiio E12A, Powerfull, Warm, Fuzzy micro detail, manageable Hiss.
Vorzuge (The small one). Bright, Cold, no Hiss...

all try with Solaris. majority with Stock cable SLitz SE.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,810 of 12,035
I like speakers because they are social, and great when you bring girls over.
My Magnepans are babe magnets :)
And they sound pretty damn good too.

You just have to listen to a bunch of quality sets, they grow on you.

Speakers or girls?

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #5,812 of 12,035

Hi , I have the Solaris the Mojo and the Q5. To my ears the Mojo is a clear winner and it is nicer to use. But the mojo docent have a balanced out and docent relay need it. On the Q5 I get some "hiss" on balanced and single ended. On the mojo I get total black, no noise. The mojo has power to spare and pairs relay well with the Solaris to my ears.

Hope this helps.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,813 of 12,035
85E05975-1ACA-4DAA-B680-FD478E6949E1.jpeg

Some upgrades, Spiral Dot++, Uranus SPC cable and 1Z. I think I’m probably done buying for a very long time. :)

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #5,814 of 12,035
Girls are replaceable.
Speakers are forever :wink:
They both look great, only 1 sounds good.

have you tried your Maggies with a pair of REL subs yet?

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #5,815 of 12,035

Some upgrades, Spiral Dot++, Uranus SPC cable and 1Z. I think I’m probably done buying for a very long time. :)

Have you compared the regular Spiral Dots with the plus versions? Any quick thoughts?

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,817 of 12,035
Hi , I have the Solaris the Mojo and the Q5. To my ears the Mojo is a clear winner and it is nicer to use. But the mojo docent have a balanced out and docent relay need it. On the Q5 I get some "hiss" on balanced and single ended. On the mojo I get total black, no noise. The mojo has power to spare and pairs relay well with the Solaris to my ears.

Hope this helps.

I have tested the Mojo a friend let me use his and it is really good but I don't like the look of it, was hoping the Q5 or xdsd would be as good or better. Thanks for the input.

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,819 of 12,035
Have you compared the regular Spiral Dots with the plus versions? Any quick thoughts?
yeah this would be nice to know

The silicone is softer so more comfortable for me, stays in my ears better. Normal Spiral Dots kinda pop out for me?
Sound wise I can't tell much of a difference, maybe the cymbals sound a little sharper/splashier?

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #5,820 of 12,035

Pretty sure @adcustom can answer your Q. He has firsthand experience with a whole lot of those combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back