1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Campfire - Solaris

First

Back
381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390
392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401
Next

Last
  1. subguy812
    Super expensive everywhere I have seen them and I am in the States. I will wait a bit longer.

Rockwell75 likes this.
  2. Rockwell75
    I can only find the ML size on ebay...but they're $60 so fuqdat.

3. fokta
    hmm, quite difficult to get...

but TFZ I used... inner bore diameter is 6 mm...

4. AlanU
    Just tested the large bodied cube. It really does sound incredible with the Solaris. Full Body sound with that combo. My little highly portable Norma sounds anemic in comparison.

5. Rockwell75
    That's how I feel about Solaris with the N6ii-- the Solaris DD really does respond well to extra power. I'm curious how the N6ii compares with the Cube. The Kann Cube is out of the running for me as it's even larger than the N6ii (which is about the upper limit of what I'm willing to carry around) and alas still relies on a 2.5mm balanced connection. I would love to demo it though.

AlanU likes this.
  6. fzman Contributor
    I had both for a short time (the Cube was a loaner), and they weigh about the same, but the Cube is much bigger- the N6ii was about the size of the screen-area of the Cube. Keep in mind that the below comments are a brief impression

They both drove the Solaris very well in balanced mode, the Cube via Soalirs 2.5 supplied cable, the N6 via a 2.5--4.4 adapter. That said, and volume 'matched' by ear, the N6 was a bit warmer, fuller sounding, and had slightly more natural instrumental timbres. Both were very dynamic and resolving. The Cube had a bit more punch and bass control, and the individual images were a touch more 3-D holographic. I could easily live with either. (I own the N6,so that's what I use. May buy the Cube anyway, as it was really good- kind of a blend between the smoother sound of the AK1000 and the more etched, but still pretty smooth and natural SE100. I may wait to really test drive the new AK 2000 before I make a final decision......

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Rockwell75 likes this.
  7. KB Contributor
    Fzman,

Good read sir, I sampled the SP2000 and the Cube, each his own but I tended to like the Cubes more muscular slightly less ultra detailed sig vs SP2000. The SP2000 has a incredible amount of resolution but I felt the pairing with the Solaris to be best (for me) Cube. On a side note I am loving the Tidal and Bandcamp streaming apps on the with the Cube, highly recommended to put a ear on that :wink:

Ken

ALO Audio Stay updated on ALO Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.aloaudio.com/
    adcustom and subguy812 like this.
  8. Jackpot77
    Have you had a chance to try the Solaris with the N6ii yet, Ken? Hoping to hear the Cube at Canjam London later this month, but took the plunge on the Cayin about a fortnight ago and I echo @fzman 's comments - the N6ii has a beautiful warm, full sound with plenty of detail when paired with the Solaris. Has now replaced the DX200/Amp8 as my "reference" source, and just makes the Solaris sing. If the Cube betters it, that will be a seriously impressive DAP.

fokta likes this.
  9. fokta
    20190717_082637.jpg 20190716_080736.jpg

Cayin is one DAP that I must try, especially with Solaris.

Just got new pure cable UP-OCC Silver.
    Love the airy High, and micro detail.
    Bass still puncy, but least rumble (I dont mind)

Good day guys...

Kitechaser, cycheang and B9Scrambler like this.
  10. subguy812
    The Cayin N6ii was on my radar, but I went with the Cube. Since I only received it last night I can't really give sound impressions. I will say the Cube is not just about power. I have heard some say it has a bright sound, I do not think it is bright. This is my fourth A&K, with my least favorite being the Kann, it just didn't check my boxes. The other two were the 100ii and 120ii. Both of those players had a warmer, organic smoothness, but lacked power to drive. The Kann Cube has a real energy with the Solaris and an immersive stage which surrounds you.
    Thus far I am enjoying the signature of the Cube. It really makes my Hybrid collection shine. The Jazz at the Pawnshop has never sounded better.
    20190716_215147.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    adcustom and Rockwell75 like this.
  11. AlanU
    I just picked up the solaris but I'm really itching to pick up a Cube. The issue I have is the brutal size for daily commute. I also dont feel excited about paying $200 cdn for a case.

The difference from my A&K Norma and Cube is quite drastic. I do find that when I DO NOT have a reference point of swapping a to b I am finding my current Norma very good. I do know that the cube is very very different.

I really like the A&K sound signature. I am hoping the produce a smaller package with similar SQ in the 2 grand CDN$ range.

12. AlanU
    With my quick audition i had a hard time telling the difference between the fiio balanced cable vs Alo Reference 8. I know there is a difference but it's not a profound difference in my quick test.

Going single ended to balanced with the A&K amp was huge!

13. BananaOoyoo
    Kann Cube is such a weird DAP. It doesn't feel as heavy as it actually is, but that size is just ridiculous.

14. fokta
    True... then at least you know where you want to go, after acquiring it....
    please also consider the combination with DAP, Source, and also your taste.

AlanU likes this.
  15. Rockwell75
    Try the N6ii-- it might surprise you. It's within your price range, much more portable than the cube and based on everything I've read has a similar sound sig.

AlanU likes this.
First

Back
381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390
392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401
Next

Last