Campfire - Solaris
Jun 23, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #5,551 of 12,035
Decided not to order the Solaris when I visit the states in July. CA has a new distributor in Korea, so I’ll be able to try it soonish(?) after I get back.

It’s up against some stiff competition, so I’m interested to see how it stands up.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #5,552 of 12,035
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,553 of 12,035
What do you consider the top contenders?

That particular store just got the Oriolus Percivali, and they’ll be getting the Wavaya lineup soon (interested the Penta personally).

The other store I go to often has the Z1R and Legend X, and they’ll be getting the Elysium, Wraith, and Valkyrie soon. I was also looking at the Canary and Khan there, but I’d take both the Z1R and LX over those.

Basically I’m looking at any and all flagship-level hybrids.

Edit: I guess I’m also considering the Jomo Trinity. However, both it and the Canary require too much power to drive IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,554 of 12,035
That particular store just got the Oriolus Percivali, and they’ll be getting the Wavaya lineup soon (interested the Penta personally).

The other store I go to often has the Z1R and Legend X, and they’ll be getting the Elysium, Wraith, and Valkyrie soon. I was also looking at the Canary and Khan there, but I’d take both the Z1R and LX over those.

Edit: I guess I’m also considering the Jomo Trinity. However, both it and the Canary require too much power to drive IMO.

I'm curious about the Khan and the Z1R. The LX, though I haven't heard it, seems like it would be too bassy for me. The Valkyrie sounds interesting and I look forward to hearing reports on it. I heard the Wraith is going to cost upwards of $3500 which is absolutely crazy imho. I've read a lot of conflicting reports on how easy the Z1R is to drive. At this point if I can't power it perfectly with my zx300 (meaning I'm not going to be craving another amp or more powerful source) then that's a deal breaker for me. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of Solaris.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #5,555 of 12,035
I'm curious about the Khan and the Z1R. The LX, though I haven't heard it, seems like it would be too bassy for me. The Valkyrie sounds interesting and I look forward to hearing reports on it. I heard the Wraith is going to cost upwards of $3500 which is absolutely crazy imho. I've read a lot of conflicting reports on how easy the Z1R is to drive. At this point if I can't power it perfectly with my zx300 (meaning I'm not going to be craving another amp or more powerful source) then that's a deal breaker for me. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of Solaris.
It is ironic you mention the LX. I am writing my review after a year. Should be done in a couple of days.

Jun 23, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #5,556 of 12,035
It is ironic you mention the LX. I am writing my review after a year. Should be done in a couple of days.

Cool...hopefully some comparisons with Solaris and Atlas in there :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,558 of 12,035

Looking forward to reading your impressions!

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,559 of 12,035
Has anyone found a DAP that has no hiss with the Solaris? I was looking at picking up the Kann Cube if this was the case. Currently running a M11, its great but in quiet songs the hiss does bother me. The only dac/amp that I have that is truly silent is the RME ADI 2 DAC and using the ifi ie match on said M11. On my samsung S10+ is quiet as well.

I use both the Pioneer XDP-300R and Astell & Kern SR15 and no hiss with them on either single or balanced.

From my experience, every fiio dap has hissy output with sensitive in-ears.

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #5,560 of 12,035

Which store do you go to?

Jun 23, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #5,561 of 12,035
Which store do you go to?

I’ve been to a few, but Schezade is the closest to where I live. GSoundLab used to be decent, but it seems like they lost/terminated most of their distributor agreements (CA, EE, VE, etc.), and they only really have QDC/UM/InEar now. Soundstream (1910Shop) recently moved, so it’s pretty easy to stop by now as well.

Soundcat’s hours don’t really work with my daily schedule, and Earphone Shop is okay, but not as nice of a listening environment.

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #5,562 of 12,035
I’ve been to a few, but Schezade is the closest to where I live. GSoundLab used to be decent, but it seems like they lost/terminated most of their distributor agreements (CA, EE, VE, etc.), and they only really have QDC/UM/InEar now. Soundstream (1910Shop) recently moved, so it’s pretty easy to stop by now as well.

Soundcat’s hours don’t really work with my daily schedule, and Earphone Shop is okay, but not as nice of a listening environment.
Thanks,
I've been wanting to do some comparisons with the Solaris, but haven't made my way up to Seoul (unless I had to for work), I really need to make a trip out there.

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #5,563 of 12,035
Playing with some different cables. Anyone have any rec’s for cables in the $1-200 range that work well with the Solaris? Looking for pure occ copper. Possibly solid silver or SPC. Anyone have any experience with larger core count cables, like 8+? If anyone has any good brands I should look at it would be greatly appreciated

C2AFDDDD-3FFA-433D-911E-A2039A58336D.jpeg

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,564 of 12,035
Playing with some different cables. Anyone have any rec’s for cables in the $1-200 range that work well with the Solaris? Looking for pure occ copper. Possibly solid silver or SPC. Anyone have any experience with larger core count cables, like 8+? If anyone has any good brands I should look at it would be greatly appreciated

I personally like PW audio.

If you like the Atlas, I don’t think there’s anything that’d be too bassy. (Maybe the Rhapsodio Zombie?) I think the Legend X is pretty unique in that it’s a basshead IEM that still manages to have top-tier resolution.

Price is always a factor (though I’m planning to splurge a bit this time), but relative prices can really differ depending on where you’re located. I think the Elysium will be $3000+ everywhere, but Valkyrie/Wraith might actually be cheaper in Japan and in that $1000-1500, $2500-3000 range respectively, seeing what happened with Legend X pricing.

Thanks,
I've been wanting to do some comparisons with the Solaris, but haven't made my way up to Seoul (unless I had to for work), I really need to make a trip out there.

Yeah you definitely should! Feel free to send me a PM if you want to meet up or want to know where to find certain brands.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #5,565 of 12,035

I have a PW Audio No.5 ($199) and its an amazing copper cable. Highly recommend its super soft and feels great to wear around the ears.

Jl1eNwG.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3193.jpg
    IMG_3193.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back