Campfire - Solaris
May 7, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #5,041 of 12,035
hehehe... I used TFZ silicon eartips mid size Large Bore....

but already buy 6-7 other type of eartips... still going back to TFZ...
Cant use foam, because I get irritation in my ear canal.

Sound sig, use foam can emphasize on Mid,
Small bore for Bass.

May 7, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #5,042 of 12,035
I'm wondering if the sound signature is affected by different tips that all more or less fit.
Honestly, it depends on the iem. (SPL) sound pressure level is low on some iems, like the CL2, and insertion depth is critical. A wider bore, at least for me is the most preferable, it opens up the soundstage, and balances out the different frequencies.
Sony tips have a narrow bore, which as I hear it, exaggerates the bass too much, it can act like a funnel.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #5,043 of 12,035
How much did you spend on that and where did you shop from? Do tips really matter?

I think @antdroid is an extreme case. The stock selection that comes with Campfire Audio IEMs is diverse enough that most people should (I think) be able to find something that works for them. I use spiral dots but they're basically a more comfortable version of the silicons.

Yes tips matter a lot. I've spent a lot on tips over the years. Some come with IEMs I own and some are cheap things I buy in big sets on Amazon, and some are fancier tips like Symbio-W, SpinFits and Spiral Dots which are like $10-15 for one size of one type. I am most definitely an extreme case, but I have also collected a lot of this stuff over the years and write random reviews now and then so want tips available to give each IEM it's best effort.

I have a ton of foam tips for consistent measurements.

The Solaris, with its unique shape and fit is important for it as well. I've gotten very little seal on small tips and incredible seal on really large tips and I normally wear small tips. Some large tips seal so much, the bass feels like the CFA Atlas or a super boomy headphone, while some tips with slightly different shape make things sound awfully hollow because of leakage.

I currently am using spinfit CP100 tips now and it's about the perfect blend of fit, comfort and sound quality for my preferences until my custom tips come in.

May 7, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #5,044 of 12,035
I concur, tip selection matters for a variety of reasons that you have to balance.

#1 Fit:

Some tips will inevitably fit better than others, not only because of size. Foam exerts pressure on your ear canal which isolates better but for some is uncomfortable. Others report a very comfortable fit from foam, so it is up to you.

#2 Isolation:

Isolation will probably be better from foam than silicone, although that is no real concern for me. I choose my tips based on comfort. But I think the rules of open vs closed headphones apply here. Better Isolation may mean a more closed experience whereas lower Isolation improve the sensation of openness.

#3 Bore size:

Tips with a short and wide exit hole will tend to expand the soundstage in the treble and reduce sub bass. I disagree with the assessment that this reduces bass overall, on the contrary. I think it emphasizes mid and upper bass and makes the bass response more dry and punchy as opposed to rumbly and expanded.
Narrow bore with deep insertion makes for a more intimate sub-bass experience but for some causes a muffled sound.

#4 material and resonance:

Different types of material have different properties. A quiet room will have foam-layered walls, because of their ability to absorb sound. Foam tips will take away some of the high frequencies and can tame the treble, if desired. Sibilance, for example will occur less if the volume is kept the same. But I found that I had to increase the volume with foam to get the same dynamics across all the frequencies negating the effect. Usually, foam tips come with a wide bore and are inserted deep. That makes, in my opinion, for a balanced bass with reduced highs.

When it comes to the Solaris, I prefer the Campfire Audio wide bore standard silicon tips. They do not take away the soundstage, make the bass response very balanced and make for a very balanced presentation, overall. But this may be different for you. The point being, you get a fantastic selection of tips supplied with the iem that will give you all the chance to find out your own preferences.

And here is a lesson:
Don’t think of the matter of the tips as a problem. It’s a means to switch things up. Tips will not make you love an iem that you didn’t love in the first place. They can put emphasis on things that you prefer, but will not transform your iem.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #5,046 of 12,035
When it comes to the Solaris, I prefer the Campfire Audio wide bore standard silicon tips. They do not take away the soundstage, make the bass response very balanced and make for a very balanced presentation, overall. But this may be different for you. The point being, you get a fantastic selection of tips supplied with the iem that will give you all the chance to find out your own preferences.
+1.

Agree with you. For me... TFZ... huehehehe...

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #5,048 of 12,035
Hey man .. Let me ask. Do you prefer the cable 130 on solaris to the stock Slitz?. Do they sound similar or different?.
OK, will answer it gladly...

Do I like SLitz SE that come from the stock ? Yes... I loved it, the most well balanced sound signature for SOLARIS. all Freq is what make SOLARIS it is....
Unfortunately for me, I dont have the balanced version for it.

I try to be as fair as possible, 130 is will make your solaris in the most sound signature as SLitz (which is not warm), but the mid a bit recessed.
The unfair is,
- Dynamic, since 130 is balanced cable, with the smaller amount of Volume, you already get that dynamic...while on Slitz SE, u need to crank the volume or use external AMP. Which can be more than 130.
- Soundstage, 130 will be wider due to more resolution in high Freq, but if in STACK mode, Slitz can keep up...

But remember, I am comparing cable that are not apple to apple, so for current Situation I still prefer 130 because I dont need to stack. More agile on mobile.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5,049 of 12,035
I've gotten very little seal on small tips and incredible seal on really large tips and I normally wear small tips. Some large tips seal so much, the bass feels like the CFA Atlas or a super boomy headphone.

I had the exact same experience. I usually like mid to small foam tips, but the ones I have found best for me with the solaris are the large silicon tips with the largest opening. Super comfy for long periods of time once I get them sealed right, which generally takes a little twisting and fiddling.

May 7, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #5,050 of 12,035
I've been really busy with work, so I haven't had time to post any updates, but I'm very happy with both the Solaris and the WM1Z. Everything sounds so good with this combo. I haven't had time to look into a new cord yet, so still using the stock 3.5 that comes with the solaris, but it has been great.

Everything you throw at these sounds awesome. From the sparkly highs in Bob Dylan songs to the deep rumbling, textured bass in Alicia Keys 'No One'. It has been very enjoyable hearing these songs again with this combo. One of my favorite things is how the mids and highs still come through in front of the bass without getting lost. Even when I can feel that bass rumble down into my fingertips. Anyway, gotta get back to work on this project, but just wanted to drop in this quick comment saying how much i've been loving my new gear.

Baby picture:
IMG_0983.JPG

May 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #5,051 of 12,035
I've been really busy with work, so I haven't had time to post any updates, but I'm very happy with both the Solaris and the WM1Z. Everything sounds so good with this combo. I haven't had time to look into a new cord yet, so still using the stock 3.5 that comes with the solaris, but it has been great.

Everything you throw at these sounds awesome. From the sparkly highs in Bob Dylan songs to the deep rumbling, textured bass in Alicia Keys 'No One'. It has been very enjoyable hearing these songs again with this combo. One of my favorite things is how the mids and highs still come through in front of the bass without getting lost. Even when I can feel that bass rumble down into my fingertips. Anyway, gotta get back to work on this project, but just wanted to drop in this quick comment saying how much i've been loving my new gear.

Baby picture:

That's an endgame combo if ever there was one. If I can ever convince myself to invest in a flagship DAP that would likely be the one.

May 7, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #5,052 of 12,035
That's an endgame combo if ever there was one. If I can ever convince myself to invest in a flagship DAP that would likely be the one.

Just go on ebay and offer $500 under the buy it now price like I did. Haha. It was brand new, unopened and has been working great with no issues. It's probably stolen or gray market, but it's been great. I also use the WM1Z's bluetooth in my studio playing through my klipsch stereo speakers. Haven't had any connection issues and I love how you can fine tune the volume. I'm glad I just got this instead of messing around with the other stuff. I like to get gear that just accomplishes exactly what I'm looking for so I can move on. This setup has 100% met my expectations and has worked exactly as I hoped, Not a single complaint from me!

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,053 of 12,035
How much did you spend on that and where did you shop from? Do tips really matter?
Unfortunately.... Yes.

Frankly, I'd love to think that using stock tips would suffice, and no further changes are necessary. In reality, tip rolling is important as you can get noticeable changes in sound.

Thankfully, what you get in your default set is usually good enough for the job. If you're not picky, you can be happy with them. If you want to experiment further, by all means, tip roll until you find a gem of a combo. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #5,054 of 12,035
Just go on ebay and offer $500 under the buy it now price like I did. Haha. It was brand new, unopened and has been working great with no issues. It's probably stolen or gray market, but it's been great. I also use the WM1Z's bluetooth in my studio playing through my klipsch stereo speakers. Haven't had any connection issues and I love how you can fine tune the volume. I'm glad I just got this instead of messing around with the other stuff. I like to get gear that just accomplishes exactly what I'm looking for so I can move on. This setup has 100% met my expectations and has worked exactly as I hoped, Not a single complaint from me!
wow... for that price, its a real great deal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back