Campfire - Solaris
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #4,291 of 12,035
@rutter - re: your $500 DAP comment, I'm very happy with the Solaris / Cayin N5iiS pairing. I prefer the DX200 / Amp 8 setup I have when I'm at home and have time for a proper listening session, as I find it to portray a slightly more "realistic" sense of imaging in my head, but I certainly don't have any issue using the N5iiS - think it sounds superb with the Solaris too.

With regards to the music, a lot of the main download sites make stuff available in 320kbps MP3 these days. Personally, I tend to mostly buy CDs and rip them to FLAC files (so, 16/44 quality). Some prefer to buy their music from sites like Qobuz or HDTracks, where you have the option of getting full Hi-Res files (24/192, DSD etc). That find with additional cost attached, though.

Personally, FLAC is "good enough" for my ears and tastes. Telling the difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3 is hit and miss for me on well recorded music (done some abx testing), but I can pick out the difference between 128 and 320 in the same tests.

I just prefer to keep the music in a similar form to the CD when ripping, to avoid introducing any additional compression or other interference to the recorded sound if I can avoid it.

As previous comments state, if you are happy with what you are hearing from sites like YouTube, that's all you need. I'm perfectly willing to accept done stuff on there will sound excellent. Don't tend to listen through my desktop and CMA400i DAC/amp setup much these days, but next time I do, I'll try out the YouTube / Tidal comparison.

What's the comprehensive rundown on hi-res options- sources, costs, what it does and why it makes sense, the music available? Are there risks in torrenting, should I decide to do some soul seeking myself?

This was a long time coming:
Rutter, has anyone ever told you that you talk too much? 1000+ posts in less than a year is way too many. No one has that much meaningful things to say. Try using some spam filter on yourself before posting.
Rutter, has anyone ever told you that you're being rude? People here don't owe you anything and they're not responsible for your buying choices. I saw you losing your mind in the z1r thread. Just remember, it's a privilege to be here, not a right.

I don't care about your opinion of me nor do I care for your analysis of what privileges and rights are. Use the ignore function and move on. If you can't understand the problem of a reviewer who himself admits he exaggerates and is acting "asinine", to use his own word, on his youtube channel I don't have a second for you.

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #4,292 of 12,035
Technicalities (technical ability) refers to soundstage, separation, decay, etc.

I do seek it out and have no reason to justify my taste. I think you misunderstood my frustration with having a hard time finding IEMs that suite my taste with justification.

Thats a funny quote btw.

I was not trying to single you out-my bad! It was later at night than I generally allow myself to post replies. I do have a pet peeve about the term 'technicalities'. It never seems to be used in the context of a positive comment..

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #4,293 of 12,035
I don't care about your opinion of me nor do I care for your analysis of what privileges and rights are. Use the ignore function and move on.
Thanks for pointing this out. Somehow I never realized this option existed.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #4,294 of 12,035
What are some good options for 4.4mm balanced cables for Solaris? @twister6 you referred to an iBasso cable in your (very helpful) review...do you know if there is a version or equivalent of this cable with a 4.4mm jack? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,295 of 12,035
Just sufficient? How would you compare it to the N5iiS? I keep hearing that Sony DAPs pair the best with Solaris and since I'll probably never shell out for the WM1A or Z the ZX300 seems like the best bet.

Yup I had to do a lot of soul seeking.
Get the WM1A, you will not have to buy another dap for a long long long time.
It is end game SQ for me, no need to go for anything higher up in the food chain, unless you are into collecting gear.

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #4,296 of 12,035
Get the WM1A, you will not have to buy another dap for a long long long time.
It is end game SQ for me, no need to go for anything higher up in the food chain, unless you are into collecting gear.

I would love one, but right now I could get the zx300 for 40% the cost and, from what I gather, most if not all of the sound quality.

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,297 of 12,035
I would love one, but right now I could get the zx300 for 40% the cost and, from what I gather, most if not all of the sound quality.
Some people say it’s close enough. Some say it’s night and day. Who knows man. I’m happy with my ZX300 for sure though SQ wise, the Pioneer 300R has it beat in balanced mode. Too bad the 300R is as fragile as a baby, mine doesn’t leave my house whereas the ZX300 is a dirty person and likes to be dropped and beat up a bit. Very dependable DAP.

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #4,298 of 12,035
Some people say it’s close enough. Some say it’s night and day. Who knows man. I’m happy with my ZX300 for sure though SQ wise, the Pioneer 300R has it beat in balanced mode. Too bad the 300R is as fragile as a baby, mine doesn’t leave my house whereas the ZX300 is a dirty person and likes to be dropped and beat up a bit. Very dependable DAP.
Looks like rough time ur ZX300 had... The build quality is top notch, never doubt Sony product...

If XDP300R* have much lower OI, I will use this... Its so Cold pairing with Solaris... No bass come out it... But power and noise background, is good....

edit*

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #4,299 of 12,035
I have both, and the WM1A is a tier up.
There is a substantial difference, at least with the iems i am using.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #4,300 of 12,035
Looks like rough time ur ZX300 had... The build quality is top notch, never doubt Sony product...

If 300R have much lower OI, I will use this... Its so Cold pairing with Solaris... No bass come out it... But power and noise background, is good....
I had Wm1a, Wm1z, opus #2, dx200, ak380cu and zx100, I sold all and only keep the zx100, it pair perfect with Solaris, zx100 bring out the best of Solaris DD

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #4,302 of 12,035
I had Wm1a, Wm1z, opus #2, dx200, ak380cu and zx100, I sold all and only keep the zx100, it pair perfect with Solaris, zx100 bring out the best of Solaris DD
Long time no see in this thread....

ZX100 is the older version of ZX300, right ?
the funny thing about sony, they give less info about Spec....

wow, u sold DX200 and WM1z.. interesting... it seems end game...

unique proposition, ZX100, let's Hunt..

btw, WM1A will have replacement...

forgot the main question, is ZX100 hiss pair with Solaris?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #4,303 of 12,035
Long time no see in this thread....

ZX100 is the older version of ZX300, right ?
the funny thing about sony, they give less info about Spec....

wow, u sold DX200 and WM1z.. interesting... it seems end game...

unique proposition, ZX100, let's Hunt..

btw, WM1A will have replacement...

forgot the main question, is ZX100 hiss pair with Solaris?

I try to get out of this expensive hobby, but once I sold 1 item I end up buying 2, this is my 3rd pair, No hiss whatsoever with zx100, also I pair it with moon audio black dragon v2 oh boy the low end hit hard and very smooth treble, you can’t get black dragon v2 with mmcx from moon audio as they no longer make it

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #4,304 of 12,035
Reminds me of the famous Mark Twain comment-- "apparently Wagner's music is better than it sounds".

Love it. Mark Twain was a true wit.

Tried out nearly all worthwhile contenders at E-earphone in Tokyo (Hifi heaven, wow) including the Ier-Z1r which is actually on sale thru 3/31 for ~$1500ish... long story short I think Solaris is still king, at least to me. Z1r is pretty sweet in midrange but not as airy and transparent on treble, really solid IEM though. The other IEM I heard for the first time and left impressed was the UM masons. Personally I still use Flamenco over Solaris but it's a toss up. Still think Solaris is incredible for the price.

Awesome to hear this. I'm still amazed how much more I love Solaris every time I hear it. Usually I'm one to nit-pick and find problems and imperfections with things over time. Not the case with Solaris-- it shines every more brightly every time I experience it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get that 100hrs burn in within the first week. That picture of the shop is insane-- I love how they have the whole Campfire and Empire Ears lineups just nonchalantly tucked in there.

@Rockwell75 ZX300 is sufficient enough for Solaris, Consider no Hiss in each Jack out 3.5 or 4.4. Since u said the bass is enough, so I believe ZX300 will be good... IMO.

The bass is definitely enough for me like 95% of the time. Coming straight from Atlas there's still part of me that would love a kick in the pants every now and again, which is why I'm hoping for a DAP with a good EQ or bass boost that I can use to flick the bass up every now and again for poops and giggles. I hear the ZX300 is a bit on the warm side, which suits my needs and tastes.

I have both, and the WM1A is a tier up.
There is a substantial difference, at least with the iems i am using.

Oh don't get me wrong I would love one...it will be a question of $$ more than anything. Who knows maybe the universe will smile at me and I'll find one for sale for a good price in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back