Campfire - Solaris
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #4,276 of 12,035
I really have a hard time understanding what this term 'technicalities' refers to. Reminds me of the famous Mark Twain comment-- "apparently Wagner's music is better than it sounds". The job of a speaker/headphone/iem, is to convert the electrical signal it is being fed, into the correct air motion that created the recording in the first place. (Or, the voltages that were recorded from electronic sources). It either gets it right or it doesn't. If you recorded a sax being played, then the recording should sound like that sax, being played just that way, in that acoustic environment. If the sax player farted audibly during the recording, you shoud be able to hear that fart in the recording. Bright recordings should sound bright, dull ones dull. A trasnsducer that makes all of your recordings sound the same, or makes all the sources sound the same- something is wrong with it- you may like it, if it does something you like, but it is wrong. See, didn't have to use the word 'technicalities' at all! A treble-happpy EQ curve is not detail, or resolution, it is an alteration of the intended sound--

Please, by all means, know what you like, seek it out, and enjoy it without finding the need to justify or defend your taste.

Technicalities (technical ability) refers to soundstage, separation, decay, etc.

I do seek it out and have no reason to justify my taste. I think you misunderstood my frustration with having a hard time finding IEMs that suite my taste with justification.

Thats a funny quote btw.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #4,277 of 12,035
It's interesting that listening to my iTunes library on my desktop is similar to listening to youtube on a laptop and significantly better than to doing the same thing on this desktop. Guess I've taken the role of a ghetto king. No one cares. One compliment I can pay to the Solaris that I couldn't to full size-headphones is that it may indeed be sensitive to source. I just don't know if it amounts to a transformation.

Uhm, who's rocking a $500 dap or chain with the Solaris and is happy?

I'm getting much better sound from my iTunes library. It's remarkable.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #4,278 of 12,035
What do people think of the Sony ZX300 as a source for the Solaris? Does it have a decent EQ? I've read something about a volume cap? Would this be a problem for Solaris?

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #4,279 of 12,035
So here's something that sounds pretty damn good listening through my iTunes library. It came from a CD I bought, but everything I've listened to so far from my library has sounded significantly better. Why is that?

ieqcgl.jpg

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #4,280 of 12,035
So here's something that sounds pretty damn good listening through my iTunes library. It came from a CD I bought, but everything I've listened to so far from my library has sounded significantly better. Why is that?

ieqcgl.jpg

I'm not sure about the rest of your library but 128kbs is pretty bad. There's also the mastering of the recording, the quality of the rip, the original quality of the burn onto CD etc.

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #4,281 of 12,035
Where are you people getting high quality files of the music that you actually want from? From my understanding high quality music is limited, so unless you happen to have a particular taste it's not something readily available.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #4,282 of 12,035
@Rockwell75 ZX300 is sufficient enough for Solaris, Consider no Hiss in each Jack out 3.5 or 4.4. Since u said the bass is enough, so I believe ZX300 will be good... IMO.
My best experience is pairing with DX200 Amp1 at that time....

@rutter Solaris is Source dependent, DAP, AMP, File Song is really affecting SQ... in ur case, if iTunes is enough, that u already good, enjoy.... for my case. Flac is a must to get to my expectations, with very low Hiss/Noise.... I still do streaming just looking or see update song.
again, Trust ur ear more....
My DAP is only Cayin N5iiS... well, in the future I want DX220 or try M11... but the point, try it

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #4,283 of 12,035
Where are you people getting high quality files of the music that you actually want from? From my understanding high quality music is limited, so unless you happen to have a particular taste it's not something readily available.

Can't help you there, but I wanted to share this cool book I found!

9780152018481_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #4,285 of 12,035
@rutter , I use the Solaris with YouTube a lot actually, either through my phone which is a Samsung Note 9 or my Shanling M5s ($420) using it as a DAC for my laptop. I do find the quality on the Note 9 to be good but not great, prefer to use the M5s as a DAC more when it comes to listening to YouTube. I don't do straight out of my laptop as it's not easy to use the headphone jack on it because it's in the back.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #4,286 of 12,035
@rutter - re: your $500 DAP comment, I'm very happy with the Solaris / Cayin N5iiS pairing. I prefer the DX200 / Amp 8 setup I have when I'm at home and have time for a proper listening session, as I find it to portray a slightly more "realistic" sense of imaging in my head, but I certainly don't have any issue using the N5iiS - think it sounds superb with the Solaris too.

With regards to the music, a lot of the main download sites make stuff available in 320kbps MP3 these days. Personally, I tend to mostly buy CDs and rip them to FLAC files (so, 16/44 quality). Some prefer to buy their music from sites like Qobuz or HDTracks, where you have the option of getting full Hi-Res files (24/192, DSD etc). That find with additional cost attached, though.

Personally, FLAC is "good enough" for my ears and tastes. Telling the difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3 is hit and miss for me on well recorded music (done some abx testing), but I can pick out the difference between 128 and 320 in the same tests.

I just prefer to keep the music in a similar form to the CD when ripping, to avoid introducing any additional compression or other interference to the recorded sound if I can avoid it.

As previous comments state, if you are happy with what you are hearing from sites like YouTube, that's all you need. I'm perfectly willing to accept done stuff on there will sound excellent. Don't tend to listen through my desktop and CMA400i DAC/amp setup much these days, but next time I do, I'll try out the YouTube / Tidal comparison.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #4,287 of 12,035
I mean, as long as you’re happy with it, then that’s all that matters, right?

Don't try to sass me if you can't read.

This was a long time coming:
Rutter, has anyone ever told you that you talk too much? 1000+ posts in less than a year is way too many. No one has that much meaningful things to say. Try using some spam filter on yourself before posting.
Rutter, has anyone ever told you that you're being rude? People here don't owe you anything and they're not responsible for your buying choices. I saw you losing your mind in the z1r thread. Just remember, it's a privilege to be here, not a right.

And now, about file quality. I wanted to give steaming a try (after all, it's what all the cool kids use these days), but wasn't ready to jump straight to $20/month Tidal, so I started with basic Spotify. That's 128kbps. I was listening to an Iron Maiden song (not the mount Everest of recording quality, production and mastering) and just out of curiosity I paused it and opened the same file from my local library of FLACs (standard CD quality rip). The transformation was more than noticeable, it's like I was wearing earplugs with Spotify. And this is coming from a guy who can't usually tell DAPs apart when it comes to sound quality, so my ears are probably not the most sensitive.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't listen to 128kbps mp3s with your Solaris, do whatever makes you happy (like Mr. Banana said), but try to understand what it is you're doing.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #4,288 of 12,035
fokta said:
@Rockwell75 ZX300 is sufficient enough for Solaris, Consider no Hiss in each Jack out 3.5 or 4.4. Since u said the bass is enough, so I believe ZX300 will be good

Just sufficient? How would you compare it to the N5iiS? I keep hearing that Sony DAPs pair the best with Solaris and since I'll probably never shell out for the WM1A or Z the ZX300 seems like the best bet.

Can't help you there, but I wanted to share this cool book I found!

Yup I had to do a lot of soul seeking.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #4,289 of 12,035
Just sufficient? How would you compare it to the N5iiS? I keep hearing that Sony DAPs pair the best with Solaris and since I'll probably never shell out for the WM1A or Z the ZX300 seems like the best bet.
It is, You will never go wrong with ZX300, for me using solaris combo, only get more detail Rumble, but less Puncy.... not a problem for me as long as no Hiss...
Why I choose N5iiS, is because UAPP (which is not fully optimized for it). MQA to be exact... I already bought it before having N5iiS.
Soundwise, N5iiS have a bit juice in Power, so Dynamic fell better, and SS a bit wider.
PoP noise is more on N5iiS.
UI exp, ZX300 is better, N5iiS is a bit delay on physical play button.
IMO, ZX300 is crispy in treble, and I read have more filter for Low Freq...

But this is based on my ear, u should try it your self. I see you like listening in Low Volume, Give Cayin a try... for me this is suitable for it, since Hiss is consider good...

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,290 of 12,035
It's interesting that listening to my iTunes library on my desktop is similar to listening to youtube on a laptop and significantly better than to doing the same thing on this desktop. Guess I've taken the role of a ghetto king. No one cares. One compliment I can pay to the Solaris that I couldn't to full size-headphones is that it may indeed be sensitive to source. I just don't know if it amounts to a transformation.

Uhm, who's rocking a $500 dap or chain with the Solaris and is happy?

I'm getting much better sound from my iTunes library. It's remarkable.

I use an Oppo HA2-SE and absolutely love the pairing. I stream tidal (regular, not MQA), but will check out versus YouTube for fun next time I get a chance.

I had a Chord Mojo and didn't like how it paired with the Solaris (even though it's more expensive).

Based on your comments, it still doesn't sound like you're getting a good seal. I have small ears but still manage to get a good seal with Symbio mandarin tips (without the foam). I liked the silicone tips best of what came with the Solaris. Used the smallest size. Final tips weren't bad either.

Play around with how you insert them into your ear. Once you get a good seal, you'll know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back