Campfire - Solaris
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #3,046 of 12,035
You want the majority to suffer for your benefit. Pass.

You're talking out of your butt. I use a Galaxy S8 as my only DAP, so I definitely don't need a balanced cable anytime soon. I just don't see a need for all these different terminations. USB was not the only standard out there 15 years ago, but the world quickly converged to it. I'm hoping we get something similar in audio.

If you don't think it as a horrible waste to have two identical cables with the only difference being the jack termination (which I bet is also the cheapest part of the cable), then you probably need to think again.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #3,048 of 12,035
Has anyone here tried spinfits with the Solaris yet?
hmm... when I had it first, my impression is the High is quite pinch.... that's what I remember, then I when back to my TFZ silicon, my ear alrd adapt to this eartip.... in comfort wise...

20190115_072105.jpg
Back to my daily gear.... Fiio X5iii - Ref8 - Solaris...
must adapt to it... while the quest searching for DAP still continue for me...

HIBY R6 pro....

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #3,049 of 12,035
That's not what I'm suggesting though. What I'm suggesting is to always use a balanced cable, sometimes in native form, sometimes with a balanced-to-single-ended adapter, depending on the output of the source. That's quite different that plugging a common ground jack into a balanced receptacle. An adapter wouldn't even be necessary if the design of the female side of the connector would be the same form factor for both the SE and the BAL. If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason they made the BAL connector smaller is to prevent people from accidentally sticking a SE jack in there and "short-circuiting" the two grounds together.

I'm pretty sure that the difference between the SE and BAL outputs (based on what I read these are two completely independent DAC/amp ciruits) of the SP1000 far outweigh any difference in the cables used. Just consider that the two outputs have a different Zout.

In all but very few cables, the only difference between a single-ended cable and a balanced one is the plug attached to the end. In other words, they all have 4 wires (or a multiple of 4), so you are always using a "balanced cable". Unless the different plugs have different crosstalk (that turned out to be an issue in some cases), or you plug it into a device that has different circuits for SE and balanced, the difference will be zero for the same model of cable. The cable that comes with the Solaris and the Ref 8 use different wire types and gauges. That is why they have subtle differences in how they affect the sound. If it weren't the case, Campfire/ALO audio wouldn't have multiple cable designs available.

Given the poorer contact area, and the numerous issues with correct tolerances, DAP makers should be abandoning the 2.5mm connector and switching to the 4.4mm connector instead. Indeed then, as you say, "An adapter wouldn't even be necessary".

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #3,050 of 12,035
In all but very few cables, the only difference between a single-ended cable and a balanced one is the plug attached to the end. In other words, they all have 4 wires (or a multiple of 4), so you are always using a "balanced cable". Unless the different plugs have different crosstalk (that turned out to be an issue in some cases), or you plug it into a device that has different circuits for SE and balanced, the difference will be zero for the same model of cable. The cable that comes with the Solaris and the Ref 8 use different wire types and gauges. That is why they have subtle differences in how they affect the sound. If it weren't the case, Campfire/ALO audio wouldn't have multiple cable designs available.

Given the poorer contact area, and the numerous issues with correct tolerances, DAP makers should be abandoning the 2.5mm connector and switching to the 4.4mm connector instead. Indeed then, as you say, "An adapter wouldn't even be necessary".

Agreed! I have had many astell and the 2.5 is garbage imo. 4.4 is much better. So sturdy!

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #3,051 of 12,035
20190115_154433.jpg
I got this Lunashop silver cable from @Dsnuts recommendation and...this thing literally doesn't work, as in there no sound coming out from one side of it...

I'm not sure if I will even bother sending it back to China. The cable does look nice though, and supple too.

Just left it here for anyone who considering buying it. I mean I doubt this happen on all of their cable but still...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #3,053 of 12,035
Have any of you tried the Gold cables with the Solaris yet? It’ll match but might make you look like Mr T
98% of the population aint looking.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #3,055 of 12,035

I got this Lunashop silver cable from @Dsnuts recommendation and...this thing literally doesn't work, as in there no sound coming out from one side of it...

I'm not sure if I will even bother sending it back to China. The cable does look nice though, and supple too.

Just left it here for anyone who considering buying it. I mean I doubt this happen on all of their cable but still...
Wew... that's unfortunate for you...
Is there no job Custom cable workshop in your area.. ??

Still, I think you should try to contact the Seller... see how they react... I found some of them are responsible that they send the replacement... and did not demand for the broken to be return..
ANYWAY.. TRY FIRST BRO>...

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #3,056 of 12,035
Hi guys, whats the best way to burn in earphones, Solaris in our case? I mean, do I need to do it with the source I intend to use it with? Or a simple laptop will do too? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #3,057 of 12,035
Wew... that's unfortunate for you...
Is there no job Custom cable workshop in your area.. ??

Still, I think you should try to contact the Seller... see how they react... I found some of them are responsible that they send the replacement... and did not demand for the broken to be return..
ANYWAY.. TRY FIRST BRO>...
yeah I think I will try to contact some local diy guys. If the problem lie with in the connector then it a simple fix but if there something wrong with the cable itself then it will get much more complicate...

I think I like the change in the sound though, kinda remind me of the original Effect Audio Thor Silver in a sense that it sound smooth unlike many pure silver cable although I can't really tell much with only one side working.

update: On closer inspection there actually a sound coming out from it but the volume is just really really low (like 10 on one side and 1 on other) anyone got any idea what might be wrong with it?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #3,058 of 12,035
Hi guys, whats the best way to burn in earphones, Solaris in our case? I mean, do you need to do it with the source I intend to use it with? Or a simple laptop will do too? Thanks!
This brings up a good point.

If the manufacturer is going to ship an unfinished product (in this case the manufacturer openly stated that the IEM requires burn-in to sound as per design) then they should at least provide instructions for how to get the product to a finished state.

I know many people will roll their eyes and say I'm just being pedantic, but that's probably because you've been in the game too long and have learned to put up with all the shortcomings of the service you are getting from this industry.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #3,059 of 12,035
update: On closer inspection there actually a sound coming out from it but the volume is just really really low (like 10 on one side and 1 on other) anyone got any idea what might be wrong with it?
Maybe not all wires are making contact? That would lead to much higher impedance for the side missing contacts and thus lower volume in the end.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #3,060 of 12,035
This brings up a good point. If the manufacturer is going to ship an unfinished product (in this case the manufacturer openly stated that the IEM requires burn-in to sound as per design) then they should at least provide instructions for how to get the product to a finished state. I know many people will roll their eyes and say I'm just being pedantic, but that's probably because you've been in the game too long and have learned to put up with all the shortcomings of the service you are getting from this industry.

You bet I am rolling my eyes...

I don’t see how the Solaris is an unfinished product, or else you consider all manufacturers aside a few exception like Audeze (for their TOTL products) to ship unfinished products...

For example the JVC FW10000 I just got is not burnt in and I think it requires it to sound its best, more so than the Solaris by the way. Not sure Sony will burn in the IER-Z1R either...

Hi guys, whats the best way to burn in earphones, Solaris in our case? I mean, do I need to do it with the source I intend to use it with? Or a simple laptop will do too? Thanks!

I don’t think the quality of the source matters, I know I use the cascade burn in file someone over the IT01S pointed me towards at moderate volume.

This being said, the Solaris dynamic driver is pretty great out of the box already it’s not like the Vega in that respect burn in will make the Solaris marginally better (tighter bass) but not by that much IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back