Campfire - Solaris
Jan 15, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #3,077 of 12,035
Sony 4.4mm. And Fiio 2.5. Using super lutz silver.
What cable were you using in 4.4?
IMG_20190112_140525714.jpg

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,080 of 12,035
I don’t know many manufacturer that do provide instructions for burn in, as the subject is so controversial... I know I didn’t believe in burn in until I actually heard the difference with some gear. My early IEMs were BA didn’t notice any burn in but dynamic drivers for sure need burn in, some more than others (carbon coated / diamond like coating the most). Same for DAPs, before Sony DAPs and their capacitors I never experienced burn in before... so YMMV there is no absolute rule.

And the way you do it works, that how I did it and on headfi some people suggested pink noise, why not... the cascade file I linked to is a mix of pink and white noise with octave sweeps so basically the same occurs with music but maybe more so with that kind of content that does rapid changes of high amplitude. We don’t have the end word on this as science needs to further study what does occur in electronic and physical components over time including at the microscopic level and how (if) it affects sound. I sure hear a difference, if you do too well do burn in :)
People also burn in cables. Theres a device that will burn in your cable for you.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #3,081 of 12,035
Now i have tried diverse tipps once again with Solaris. Comply TX400 had the best isolation und great fit for me in M. Unfortunately there is to lot of bass and the sound to dark. Its a bit muffled. CA stock foam tips there is a bit a problem with the fit and the solaris. Sometimes i must adjust the fit. But the sound is not exactly the some how the Comply TX400. Here you here a little bit more treble and a bit less bass. For me its the ideal sound signature . Isolation ist not as great als Comply but also good enough. Then Symbio W: Uff. Lot of treble energy and treble texture but a bit less bass than the other two. Great soundstage. Sound ist brighter and with more energy. Not for silbant recordings. Less bass makes the sound a bit thinner but airyer. With the Symbio W you have an IEM Sennheiser HD800.. But now i can here myself when the people say Comply Foams makes the sound muffled. CA stock form tips are the compromiss between Comply and Symbio W. My preferd tipps in case of sound quality. But i have tried the TX 400 with the wax guard. Could be that the normal T400 is less muffled. On classical recordings the Symbio W are my favorite tipps. They are also confortable and had good isolation. Now i must try spiral dots but i think the isolation is not as great how the 3 tips here . Unfortunaltely the reviewers often do not say what for tips they youse. Then the differences in sound signature is a lot. With the Comply the foam is more in the ear than with the CA stock tips. But this makes the sound a bit muffled.. I wish tips with the isolation and confort of the Comply but with less muffled sound.

Have you tried Comply TS400 tips?. I don't generally get on with Comply, but the TS400 was a whole new experience, all day comfort, great seal and great sound (very wide bore & no daft wax guard) on my Andromeda iem's

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #3,082 of 12,035
4.4.is 4.4...using stock cable now.
Lol yes I know that. Different cables and different components can change the sound ever so slightly. I have 3 different Effect audio cable each sound very different from stock cable so you prefer single ended with stock cable but perhaps getting stock cable in 4.4 you can appreciate the extra power the 4.4 will give you. I used to have wm1a. Love the 4.4 plugs.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #3,083 of 12,035
Hmm.. moving to 4.4mm from SE, is a long and thinning your wallet journey.. that's how I experienced... and hope in the end the result is rewarding, although the cloud of doubt and thundering issued a head...

IEM - ready
DAP 4.4mm - still searching
Cable 4.4mm - Already have but not tried it... (adapter 4.4 alrd buy, still otw)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,085 of 12,035
Embracing the gear you have....

AJA album in DSD128 - fiio X5iii - Ref8 SE - Solaris
20190116_113632.jpg
Black Background..

Converting to DSD is like long and stressfull.

Now a bit understand, why need Balanced output... U need that the volume to get the dynamic for playing DSD... but please, higher volume is also higher chance of noise background... not easy game to play here

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #3,086 of 12,035
Embracing the gear you have....

AJA album in DSD128 - fiio X5iii - Ref8 SE - Solaris

Black Background..

Converting to DSD is like long and stressfull.
Stealy Dan ? If so, thats an easy album that will sound great on most set ups.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #3,088 of 12,035
Yup.. the only album that not create noise background on fiio X5iii...

Using Topping NX4DSD, playing this Album, noise is noticeable...
I have the X5III and it sounds pretty clean with every album but Im using only Dynamic Drivers, no BA things.

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #3,089 of 12,035
Another "golden paring" for anyone who want a matching pair and don't like the WM1Z. Now you only need a matching cable and you can go full Mr.T

20190116_153540.jpg

In other news, The cable I posted yesterday works normally now. Just re-solder isn't enough and I have to cut the part that was the problem and then connect with the jack from there

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #3,090 of 12,035
Another "golden paring" for anyone who want a matching pair and don't like the WM1Z. Now you only need a matching cable and you can go full Mr.T
You mainly going for looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back