Campfire - Solaris
Nov 15, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,501 of 12,035
I am so tempted by the ALO Gold 16... eagerly waiting on black friday and maybe christmas would be early :p

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,502 of 12,035
@davidmolliere, I finally read your review on the Solaris and thanks for writing it up. Good job. I find your take on the soundstage comparing the Solaris to the LCD4i interesting as you were saying the LCD4i is a bit larger than the Solaris. Couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy the last pair of Final’s Lab2 in the US as they were limited Edition. The Lab2 is a single DD driver much like the Atlas but with a 12mm DD driver and upon initial listening to the LCD4i I immediately notice one characteristic difference in terms of soundstaging between the two. The LCD4i soundstage on comparison although large but seems to have an invisible limitation or wall. I notice with the LCD4i sound will travel and promulgate but up to a certain distance will stop and dies off as if it runs into an invisible wall both in width, depth and height creating or defining a sense of space. The Lab2 on the contrary sound will travel in all directions without limitation and will naturally fade out regardless of distance creating a sense of openness almost like an out door concert whereas the LCD4i although large but you are always cognizant of the size of the stage or the fact that there is a stage. Ever since noticing that experience I always pay attention to that characteristic in headphone and I find headphones with an invisible sound stage constricting. I have yet to receive my Solaris but I am curious as to the quality of the soundstage with the Solaris.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,503 of 12,035
@davidmolliere, I finally read your review on the Solaris and thanks for writing it up. Good job. I find your take on the soundstage comparing the Solaris to the LCD4i interesting as you were saying the LCD4i is a bit larger than the Solaris. Couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy the last pair of Final’s Lab2 in the US as they were limited Edition. The Lab2 is a single DD driver much like the Atlas but with a 12mm DD driver and upon initial listening to the LCD4i I immediately notice one characteristic difference in terms of soundstaging between the two. The LCD4i soundstage on comparison although large but seems to have an invisible limitation or wall. I notice with the LCD4i sound will travel and promulgate but up to a certain distance will stops and dies off as if it runs into an invisible wall both in width, depth and height creating or defining a sense of space. The Lab2 on the contrary sound will travel in all directions without limitation and will naturally fade out regardless of distance creating a sense of openness almost like an out door concert whereas the LCD4i although large but you are always cognizant of the size of the stage or the fact that there is a stage. Ever since noticing that experience I always pay attention to that characteristic in headphone and I find headphones with an invisible sound stage constricting. I have yet to receive my Solaris but I am curious as to the quality of the soundstage with the Solaris.
You still have those gems or you moved on cause now they not as good ?

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,504 of 12,035
No the Lab2 is for keeps for life. In fact, after I have the Lab2 for couple of months, I can still remember at that time the Tia Fourte was on hype train but not too many people have heard it. I was waiting at the LA Can Jam and was first in line, as soon as I got in I went straight to the 64 booth and audition the Tia Fourte, that was a big let down as I was accustomed to the Lab2 at the time and that was proven true later as 64 had to retune the Tia quite a bit.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,505 of 12,035
Coming back to Solaris, when I heard these words “holographic, life like, and imaging” in describing the Solaris sound, I reacted with excitement because these are no small orders to achieve these characteristics in headphone let alone in iems. Let me share an experience of how I got into HiFi to make my point. Many years ago I was at a high end stereo store in a hifi room with the Wilson Watt Puppy speakers and Mark Levinson systems and the sales person was going to demonstrate the system to me. I was looking around at some equipments or cables with the speakers behind me. The sales person played “I can see clearly now” by Holy Cole Trio. Unique to that song is that there is no music introduction and Holly Cole will just start singing. I was just looking around and all of a sudden I heard this person singing behind me like a life person singing. I still remember I was startled and jumped around to discover that it was a CD playing. But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day. As two channels audiophiles know these are the life like experiences they chase after in the two channels domain to the point people spent millions of dollars just to create that experience in a room. I only hope that the Solaris can achieve a small portion of that feast as advertised by Campfire and reported in some of these discussions with Ah Ha moments then I will feel the money is well spent. If it can do more than that, then the Solaris deserves the word “miracle” as described by some.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,506 of 12,035
Dear Campfire Audio,

While I am saving money for the Solaris, please consider making other finishing options available.. yellow gold is just not for everyone, and creates too much unwanted attention in this part of the world.. there are other more subtle precious metals, such as white gold, platinum, palladium, etc..

Thank you and all the best to you!

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,507 of 12,035
@davidmolliere, I finally read your review on the Solaris and thanks for writing it up. Good job. I find your take on the soundstage comparing the Solaris to the LCD4i interesting as you were saying the LCD4i is a bit larger than the Solaris. Couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy the last pair of Final’s Lab2 in the US as they were limited Edition. The Lab2 is a single DD driver much like the Atlas but with a 12mm DD driver and upon initial listening to the LCD4i I immediately notice one characteristic difference in terms of soundstaging between the two. The LCD4i soundstage on comparison although large but seems to have an invisible limitation or wall. I notice with the LCD4i sound will travel and promulgate but up to a certain distance will stop and dies off as if it runs into an invisible wall both in width, depth and height creating or defining a sense of space. The Lab2 on the contrary sound will travel in all directions without limitation and will naturally fade out regardless of distance creating a sense of openness almost like an out door concert whereas the LCD4i although large but you are always cognizant of the size of the stage or the fact that there is a stage. Ever since noticing that experience I always pay attention to that characteristic in headphone and I find headphones with an invisible sound stage constricting. I have yet to receive my Solaris but I am curious as to the quality of the soundstage with the Solaris.

Oh my the Lab 2 is one of the item I'd dream to have a listen to :D

I never quite put my finger around what you're saying about soundstage but it actually makes a lot of sense and now that you say it, I totally agree about the LCD i4 having kind of an invisible wall or at least decay is faster which doesn't give the sense of continuum the Solaris does provide. So sheer size is not the only thing, the Solaris does indeed feels more natural this way like there is no boundary indeed.

I had some ahah moments indeed, and the people I had audition the Solaris were all in agreements as to this special quality, and imaging as well... one of them tried a track that is busy and somewhat usually rendered messy (need to retrieve the artist and track, forgot to take notes) and he said "oh my I always thought the mastering was sh%t but it was not the master just my gear laying it out all wrong...now it all makes sense!". He was shocked :D

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,508 of 12,035
Dear Campfire Audio,

While I am saving money for the Solaris, please consider making other finishing options available.. yellow gold is just not for everyone, and creates too much unwanted attention in this part of the world.. there are other more subtle precious metals, such as white gold, platinum, palladium, etc..

Thank you and all the best to you!

How to like a post more than once?! They'd save some money too just offering it in matte or piano black, like the insides are now, but selling at same price.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,509 of 12,035
Coming back to Solaris, when I heard these words “holographic, life like, and imaging” in describing the Solaris sound, I reacted with excitement because these are no small orders to achieve these characteristics in headphone let alone in iems. Let me share an experience of how I got into HiFi to make my point. Many years ago I was at a high end stereo store in a hifi room with the Wilson Watt Puppy speakers and Mark Levinson systems and the sales person was going to demonstrate the system to me. I was looking around at some equipments or cables with the speakers behind me. The sales person played “I can see clearly now” by Holy Cole Trio. Unique to that song is that there is no music introduction and Holly Cole will just start singing. I was just looking around and all of a sudden I heard this person singing behind me like a life person singing. I still remember I was startled and jumped around to discover that it was a CD playing. But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day. As two channels audiophiles know these are the life like experiences they chase after in the two channels domain to the point people spent millions of dollars just to create that experience in a room. I only hope that the Solaris can achieve a small portion of that feast as advertised by Campfire and reported in some of these discussions with Ah Ha moments then I will feel the money is well spent. If it can do more than that, then the Solaris deserves the word “miracle” as described by some.

Cool story bro! No, I mean really: cool story! :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,510 of 12,035
Thanks Candle

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,511 of 12,035
I didn't get a chance to hear my Solaris last night due to writing about a $10 earphone. Lol but I have a good recollection of how the bass was on open box. Will be interesting to hear them today after 2 days of burn in. Will report with any changes later tonight.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,512 of 12,035

I can totally relate to that coming from a hifi world. Similarly it was just mid-fi until I stepped into one of those high end store and was just mesmerized by good tube set up. It sounds so lifelike and romantic and that started my journey to pursue a endless endgame. Its an expensive hobby.
Owned a few iem and headphones but its a different experience. I am just waiting for the distributor to bring in the Solaris.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,513 of 12,035
Soooo... I just got the Solaris in the mail.

Straight out the box, no burn-in, from an iPhone/Mojo, they are easily best thing I’ve ever heard!

Please note that I immediately swapped the cable to the Dita Truth (silver) because I hate cables with memory wire. I also love the Dita cable so I knew it couldn’t hurt. That said, I don’t even know what the stock cable sounds like. I’m also using the Final audio tips but I’ll start rolling this weekend.

- No Hype

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,514 of 12,035
Soooo... I just got the Solaris in the mail.

Straight out the box, no burn-in, from an iPhone/Mojo, they are easily best thing I’ve ever heard!

Please note that I immediately swapped the cable to the Dita Truth (silver) because I hate cables with memory wire. I also love the Dita cable so I knew it couldn’t hurt. That said, I don’t even know what the stock cable sounds like. I’m also using the Final audio tips but I’ll start rolling this weekend.

- No Hype

Awesome, I should be getting half a dozen silver cables from Trevor (Norne Audio) these couple of days. Will try when the Solaris is in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back