Campfire - Solaris
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,518 of 12,035
@davidmolliere, I finally read your review on the Solaris and thanks for writing it up. Good job. I find your take on the soundstage comparing the Solaris to the LCD4i interesting as you were saying the LCD4i is a bit larger than the Solaris. Couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy the last pair of Final’s Lab2 in the US as they were limited Edition. The Lab2 is a single DD driver much like the Atlas but with a 12mm DD driver and upon initial listening to the LCD4i I immediately notice one characteristic difference in terms of soundstaging between the two. The LCD4i soundstage on comparison although large but seems to have an invisible limitation or wall. I notice with the LCD4i sound will travel and promulgate but up to a certain distance will stop and dies off as if it runs into an invisible wall both in width, depth and height creating or defining a sense of space. The Lab2 on the contrary sound will travel in all directions without limitation and will naturally fade out regardless of distance creating a sense of openness almost like an out door concert whereas the LCD4i although large but you are always cognizant of the size of the stage or the fact that there is a stage. Ever since noticing that experience I always pay attention to that characteristic in headphone and I find headphones with an invisible sound stage constricting. I have yet to receive my Solaris but I am curious as to the quality of the soundstage with the Solaris.
Coming back to Solaris, when I heard these words “holographic, life like, and imaging” in describing the Solaris sound, I reacted with excitement because these are no small orders to achieve these characteristics in headphone let alone in iems. Let me share an experience of how I got into HiFi to make my point. Many years ago I was at a high end stereo store in a hifi room with the Wilson Watt Puppy speakers and Mark Levinson systems and the sales person was going to demonstrate the system to me. I was looking around at some equipments or cables with the speakers behind me. The sales person played “I can see clearly now” by Holy Cole Trio. Unique to that song is that there is no music introduction and Holly Cole will just start singing. I was just looking around and all of a sudden I heard this person singing behind me like a life person singing. I still remember I was startled and jumped around to discover that it was a CD playing. But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day. As two channels audiophiles know these are the life like experiences they chase after in the two channels domain to the point people spent millions of dollars just to create that experience in a room. I only hope that the Solaris can achieve a small portion of that feast as advertised by Campfire and reported in some of these discussions with Ah Ha moments then I will feel the money is well spent. If it can do more than that, then the Solaris deserves the word “miracle” as described by some.
I can't wait for your impression...what you describe is what I would desire in an IEM.

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,519 of 12,035
Coming back to Solaris, when I heard these words “holographic, life like, and imaging” in describing the Solaris sound, I reacted with excitement because these are no small orders to achieve these characteristics in headphone let alone in iems. Let me share an experience of how I got into HiFi to make my point. Many years ago I was at a high end stereo store in a hifi room with the Wilson Watt Puppy speakers and Mark Levinson systems and the sales person was going to demonstrate the system to me. I was looking around at some equipments or cables with the speakers behind me. The sales person played “I can see clearly now” by Holy Cole Trio. Unique to that song is that there is no music introduction and Holly Cole will just start singing. I was just looking around and all of a sudden I heard this person singing behind me like a life person singing. I still remember I was startled and jumped around to discover that it was a CD playing. But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day. As two channels audiophiles know these are the life like experiences they chase after in the two channels domain to the point people spent millions of dollars just to create that experience in a room. I only hope that the Solaris can achieve a small portion of that feast as advertised by Campfire and reported in some of these discussions with Ah Ha moments then I will feel the money is well spent. If it can do more than that, then the Solaris deserves the word “miracle” as described by some.

I love Wilson speakers. I might upgrade homes and if I do, I really would want a 2 channel listening room and Wilson would be my first choice in speakers. I also would want a AV room as well and a home office (first priority). I don't have kids so if I were to have a 5 bedroom home built, I could have it designed to really be 3 bedrooms and have a home office and either a listening room or a small AV room. I doubt my girlfriend would let me have all 3 rooms.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,521 of 12,035
@FangJoker The most undecided man on headfi, so many options, but there is always a doubt :)

Nah I got a list of 6 IEMs and I'll buy at least half of them. A12t, Trio/Z1R, and SE6/VE8/N8/A18 tzar are my targets unless there's new IEMs hitting the market, but I think I'm going to pass on the solaris (I don't think it pairs well with my gear and the jvc which I don't trust 100%). I'll buy the A12t and the Trio or VE8 next week although if 64 Audio has a 20% black friday sale like they did last year, the A18 tzar would have the best discount. Ok maybe I am undecided. But I'm buying something for sure. I got my impressions done and I just got paid on two closings so I got some cash burning in my pocket. That hugo TT2 with m scaler sounds amazing too, but I don't know if any IEMs could take advantage of it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,522 of 12,035
@FangJoker after you acquired all these gears please let me know I like to come and listen to them.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,523 of 12,035
@FangJoker after you acquired all these gears please let me know I like to come and listen to them.

I plan of getting more CIEMs than universals because of fit and itch issues I've had lately so if i get any universal, it might only be one. And no you can't stay with me. You can get a room on the strip if you want.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,524 of 12,035
Could be. Not done messing with tips but I think it will also depend on your source too. I liked what I heard with them. With no foam in them of course.

AD2F66A2-CECE-4BEA-B2E2-E4759A091C2C.jpeg

Now official! Symbio Mandarine Peels

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,525 of 12,035
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,527 of 12,035
Man the Solaris have seriously changed my viewpoint of what IEMs can sound like. Before Solaris I always thought I had to make compromises with them, it was simply impossible to get TOTL sound in the realm of what a high end headphone can give you in a portable ecosystem. The Solaris changes everything. These monitors can give you sound you'd be hard pressed to find even with a $2k+ headphone rig.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #1,529 of 12,035
Go NAFTA! (USMCA lol). Around CAD2000 + taxes for us.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,530 of 12,035
1,395 GBP for UK which is about 1,780 USD. I could directly import them but with customs it only works out slightly cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back