Campfire - Solaris
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #1,546 of 12,035
I told you guys :D You nailed it in a few words there!

Yesterday I was listening to Manu Katché "Unstatic" and the whole album is a treat with the Solaris, exactly what I meant when I said textures are off the charts :grin: I have never appreciated drummers as much as I am now!
Yes trance, dubstep, EDM sound great and I am listening to those again it had been a while... but the quality bass is so good you want to have the subwoofer like bass :man_dancing:

Also many albums where I discover how "flat" they sounded before the Solaris, the 3Dness is amazing...

Manu Katchè, wow, He is a fantastic drummer. I remember a record he played on, Joe Satriani (1995) and he Made an outstanding work on that record. In some way he reminds me Omar Hakim.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,547 of 12,035
I guess you can call this my very first impression ever and it seems that I've missed a couple of stops in my audio journey. Most of my limited experience comes from entry level gear (SE215, ATH-M40x, HD598). I've felt I was done wasting time reading impressions/reviews and take a step into the big leagues with the Solaris.

I do have a collection of my CDs ripped to FLAC but most of my music comes via streaming services, specifically Google Play Music and Amazon Prime Music (not the Unlimited version). My initial impression out of my S9+ was that I've made a horrible mistake! The sound was not cohesive as if there where gaps between the high/mid/low frequencies. I've tried different sources HP EliteBook (meh), Macbook Pro (not bad). It wasn't until I went to my Win10 tower feeding my XMC-1 via USB that I got that wow moment. All that has been written in this thread is true! (Thank You All !) A well balanced sound and speaker like presentation with laser imaging! :L3000:

After some tip rolling, I've settle on the large silicon tips (still waiting on the Symbio Ws to arrive) but moving my head can loosen the seal. I've found that the Marshmallow tips dampens the high end a touch. The Final Audio tips became uncomfortable and made the bass too boomy. Will definitely look into getting custom sleeves (thank you Jackpot for the suggestion) if the Symbios don't work out.

I must say it is hard to go back to just plugging directly into laptops/phones without a proper DAC. The Solaris only gets better when fed the right source. Coming from the SE215 to the Solaris has some similarities to driving base model car that has several hundred thousand miles and upgrading to a luxury super car. The total cost of ownership goes up. Instead of pumping regular unleaded and being easy to maintain, you now have to pump premium fuel to maintain top performance.

Also, do yourself a favor and let the Solaris burn-in. Things do start to coming together by doing so.

For those that have stayed in the entry-level game like me and want to make the leap past mid-fi into the deep end I'd like to say... "Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet." :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,548 of 12,035
Same, added on top of poor Aussie dollar, ended up been 2680 aud, which is much more than the 2000 sgd Jaben selling it for.

I'm just gonna wait for A2A, last time I was there they said that it should be in sometime in December for around 2.4k.

If it is good as good as others have said here, I might give in, after the audition.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,550 of 12,035
I still have the TF10 in a drawer :wink:
The Solaris don't stick out so much when you have big ears and canal like me you can push them all the way (yes they do stick out a bit) but I guess it won't be most people.
The thing on the go is that those lightweight aluminium shells don't isolate well even with a good seal.

Suprised that Andromeda S mirror like shells would not shine even brighter than the Solaris :wink: the gold plating is not that shiny in the end, but yes they stick more.
What does interest me is the difference in signatures as before the Solaris got out I was looking at Andromeda S :)

4200? Did you add a zero there?

Had a good hour long session with the Solaris last night before putting them back on the burn in. I can believe that the Solaris is a combination of a bunch of techs CA has incorporated into one earphone but sound balancing .

Coming from the Andromeda S. They have similar sound tuning. BA bass on the Andromeda is crazy good. I remember talking to Ken at Can Jam while I had his Andromeda S in my ears auditioning it. I forget what track I was listening to but the bass end sounded more like a dynamic to my ears and I asked Ken. How did you get the BA sounding like a dynamic? He told me it was his crossover he was using which made a huge difference in the bass region.

I can't speak for the standard Andromeda but the S version is like a little brother of the Solaris due to the sound tuning being similar. But then the Solaris cranks the best aspects of the Andromeda S up a few notches. Bass especially. the Andro S bass is realistic. Solaris bass sounds real that is the difference. Mids have greater space and imaging to go with it, I am thinking the larger housing may contribute to this. Treble has more separation and even better extension. Then there is the speaker like presentation overall. Andro S sounds like an excellently tuned earphone. The Solaris sounds like your hearing floor speakers.

Solaris can be worn out doors and enjoyed on your walks no problem with that. It is just that the Andromeda S isolates better and actually sounds just as good as the Solaris out doors if not better due to the excellent isolation. Due to the Andromeda S using stainless steel for the housing. The isolation is amazing on these. Definitley my choice for out door listening.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,552 of 12,035
I can't speak for the standard Andromeda but the S version is like a little brother of the Solaris due to the sound tuning being similar. But then the Solaris cranks the best aspects of the Andromeda S up a few notches. Bass especially. the Andro S bass is realistic. Solaris bass sounds real that is the difference. Mids have greater space and imaging to go with it, I am thinking the larger housing may contribute to this. Treble has more separation and even better extension. Then there is the speaker like presentation overall. Andro S sounds like an excellently tuned earphone. The Solaris sounds like your hearing floor speakers. Solaris can be worn out doors and enjoyed on your walks no problem with that. It is just that the Andromeda S isolates better and actually sounds just as good as the Solaris out doors if not better due to the excellent isolation. Due to the Andromeda S using stainless steel for the housing. The isolation is amazing on these. Definitley my choice for out door listening.

Exactly the kind of feedback I wanted to have, since I mostly listen at home this won't be a blocker for me and I have other gear (CIEM) that can isolate perfectly outside... If the Andro S had been different enough... I might have...

Always wanted to try the phantom so was lucky enough to buy them used. I figure if I don't like them, I will resell them and I'll just buy these. I know I'll like them as I've been a big fan of cfa products and impressions are very positive.

I have posted a comparison between Solaris and Phantom in my Solaris review, those are two complimentary signatures of course one can prefer one to the other but I love both :)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,553 of 12,035
I have posted a comparison between Solaris and Phantom in my Solaris review, those are two complimentary signatures of course one can prefer one to the other but I love both :)
Yes I read it and it was a great comparison honestly. I have legend x as well. Only problem is all my cables are 2 pin so that was the big decision maker.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,554 of 12,035
Had a good hour long session with the Solaris last night before putting them back on the burn in. I can believe that the Solaris is a combination of a bunch of techs CA has incorporated into one earphone but sound balancing .

Coming from the Andromeda S. They have similar sound tuning. BA bass on the Andromeda is crazy good. I remember talking to Ken at Can Jam while I had his Andromeda S in my ears auditioning it. I forget what track I was listening to but the bass end sounded more like a dynamic to my ears and I asked Ken. How did you get the BA sounding like a dynamic? He told me it was his crossover he was using which made a huge difference in the bass region.

I can't speak for the standard Andromeda but the S version is like a little brother of the Solaris due to the sound tuning being similar. But then the Solaris cranks the best aspects of the Andromeda S up a few notches. Bass especially. the Andro S bass is realistic. Solaris bass sounds real that is the difference. Mids have greater space and imaging to go with it, I am thinking the larger housing may contribute to this. Treble has more separation and even better extension. Then there is the speaker like presentation overall. Andro S sounds like an excellently tuned earphone. The Solaris sounds like your hearing floor speakers.

Solaris can be worn out doors and enjoyed on your walks no problem with that. It is just that the Andromeda S isolates better and actually sounds just as good as the Solaris out doors if not better due to the excellent isolation. Due to the Andromeda S using stainless steel for the housing. The isolation is amazing on these. Definitley my choice for out door listening.
I use foamies with Solaris and isolation is just as good as customs. Solaris sits flush in my ears so that probably helps too

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,555 of 12,035
Yes I read it and it was a great comparison honestly. I have legend x as well. Only problem is all my cables are 2 pin so that was the big decision maker.

I get where you come from... you can request a balanced superlitz when ordering for 99$ now so you should be good it's a great cable :)

I use foamies with Solaris and isolation is just as good as customs. Solaris sits flush in my ears so that probably helps too

It will help but I don't get a full isolation, I think aluminium is very thin and conductive of external sounds... try to run your finger on them you'll see...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,556 of 12,035
I get where you come from... you can request a balanced superlitz when ordering for 99$ now so you should be good it's a great cable :)

It will help but I don't get a full isolation, I think aluminium is very thin and conductive of external sounds... try to run your finger on them you'll see...

Can you post picture of han sound cable?

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,557 of 12,035
I've been saving up to pick up the Phantom during black friday but this thread is starting to make me reconsider.

I had the Zeus R and fell in love with their sound but sometimes would wish they had more bottom end. I ended up selling them and was about to pull the trigger on the Andromeda but it was around the time the Vega came out and I fell for the hype and purchased those instead. The Vega was good but it simply was not my cup of tea. IMO they were hot and had too much energy. I would come home from an exhausting day at work and would want to relax, close my eyes, and listen to sweet sounds. Unfortunately the Vega was like a wild horse in my ears that made it impossible for me to unwind. I ended up gifting those to my Brother in Law who at that point swore by his beats set. They seem to work for him really well.

A couple of years ago at Can Jam LA I auditioned the Andromeda and realized that this was the set I should have gotten.

Would it be safe to assume that the Solaris is somewhere between the Zeus R and Andromeda?

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,558 of 12,035
Had a listen to Solaris at Audioshow today, just 10mins, but I liked it very much. It was not fully burnt in, just like 1-2 days of playing from what I understood, but still impressed me quite a bit.
I know that it is only 10mins, but having Atlas and Andromeda and remembering how I felt about them after such a short time, I am pretty sure I would fall in love with Solaris even more after some extended session.

Soundstage, 3D imagining is astonishing. I'm a fan of DD sound, prefer Atlas over Andromeda and loved Solaris bass. It has great texture and I don't think it's light or thin. Guitars, violins just sound for me right and natural, like on Atlas contrary to Andromeda.

Listened also to U18t, Trio and Fourte and liked them all, but U18 was my favourite. U18 sounds great, I didn't expect that BAs could sound so natural. I thought that these make instruments sound unreal, but this one proved me wrong. I think I would like to have it, but after these 10mins auditions I would go for Solaris as it was more emotional than U18.

Hopefully will have more time with them tomorrow so my thoughts will be more insightful.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,559 of 12,035
I've been saving up to pick up the Phantom during black friday but this thread is starting to make me reconsider.

I had the Zeus R and fell in love with their sound but sometimes would wish they had more bottom end. I ended up selling them and was about to pull the trigger on the Andromeda but it was around the time the Vega came out and I fell for the hype and purchased those instead. The Vega was good but it simply was not my cup of tea. IMO they were hot and had too much energy. I would come home from an exhausting day at work and would want to relax, close my eyes, and listen to sweet sounds. Unfortunately the Vega was like a wild horse in my ears that made it impossible for me to unwind. I ended up gifting those to my Brother in Law who at that point swore by his beats set. They seem to work for him really well.

A couple of years ago at Can Jam LA I auditioned the Andromeda and realized that this was the set I should have gotten.

Would it be safe to assume that the Solaris is somewhere between the Zeus R and Andromeda?
Yes! As above. I decided to buy the Vega as my first iem, and it wasn't for me. Too much on the bottom and the top for some genres. I went to the other extreme, with an InEar PP8. Incredible clarity, precise spatial details, extension without sibilance. I tend to dial in a some addition bass and lower midrange on EQ. Still, I don't believe a pure BA iem gets bass, piano, and Coltrane's lower tenor notes correct. I enjoyed these on the Vega, but, for example, Paul Chambers bassline at the start of Kind of Blue (via my 1Z) was boomy and not musical.
I'm intrigued by the Solaris, but only if it is a significant departure from the Vega, which had a similar hype-train at the beginning (along with CA's multiple subsequent releases....).
And I can't help but have the whole shill thing pop into my head, but perhaps I'm too cynical....

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,560 of 12,035

There is a lot more bass on the phantoms than I was expecting. I also had the same experience with the vegas and they were great but I don't really miss them much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back