Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #9,466 of 19,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats on getting the ultimate Headphone bro! 
size]

Thanks, but don't be surprised to see it on the F/S forum in March. There's only so much pie, and the slice Stax took was intended for speakers. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #9,467 of 19,143
^^ Pretty much what these guys said. I like to use my A2 as a pre-amp with my high powered vintage receivers in order to give me more play on the volume pot. For me, it's nice to have a pre in the chain to give you some flexibility. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9,468 of 19,143
Quote:
It would help if you told us what you're trying to do. If your computer has the Essence STX in it, the Burson Conductor DAC is superfluous. Also, since the Burson is also a head amp, you don't really need the LD III.

Personally, I think its highly unlikely that the Burson DAC is any better than your STX. And the LD is likely not any better an amplifier than the Burson or the Pioneer.

So, if you are using your SX-750 as a headphone amp, I personally would get rid of the Burson and LD and go straight from the STX to your Pioneer.

Thank you.lol.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #9,469 of 19,143
Quote:
Yeah Mike, you can add any dac or pre-amp to your receiver as they all have rca outs and your receiver has Aux/tape rca inputs. There is a pre amp out of your Burson so you may not need the LD pre. I'm assuming this will be for speaker use as a pre amp will not be needed for hp's unless you want a little more control of the volume pot. 

Yes it would be for speakers i want to use the littledot as preamp to see  how tubes sounds with the pioneer and of course i need a dac . the way its setup now the DAC OUT  of the Burson is plugged in AUX on sx750 and volume is controlled by pioneer where would i plug in the littledot TAPE ? would i be using the volume of the pioneer or the littledot you . Thanks for your input 

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #9,470 of 19,143
Quote:
Yes it would be for speakers i want to use the littledot as preamp to see  how tubes sounds with the pioneer and of course i need a dac . the way its setup now the DAC OUT  of the Burson is plugged in AUX on sx750 and volume is controlled by pioneer where would i plug in the littledot TAPE ? would i be using the volume of the pioneer or the littledot you . Thanks for your input 

In that case then you will need to have the Little dot in between your Burson and the Pioneer. Rca outs (Dac out) from the Burson - inputs of LD amp - LD pre outs - Pioneer Aux. 

Oh, and I would have as loud as poss on the pre amp to find a comfortable level on the Pioneer :) You'll be able to use both volumes this way Both LD and Pioneer

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #9,471 of 19,143
Quote:

Nice selection of playmates to choose from indeed !  Which vintage speakers are you considering for the Sansui

I can perfectly understand "out of order based on opportunity" purchase(s) - sometimes it is "now or never" 
L3000.gif
with vintage rare gear, sometimes it is just too great an opportunity in financial sense to pass up...

I would like to audition 009 at some point - 007 and its matching tube amp did not convince me enough to even consider direct exchanging it for Lambda Pro/SRM1MK2, let alone paying the difference in price. With a better amp, things might have been different. 009 is a more convincing animal they say, enjoy yours !

Thanks, analoguesurviver. Because my audio plans are continually revised on-the-fly, I use Rhodia pencil on Rhodia paper. And a BIG eraser! Long story made shorter, the SR-009 was never a consideration, speakers were. Nor was the Shindo monoblocks & preamp on the list, the Yamamoto A-09S and HE-6 were. The HiFiMan's were going to see double-duty and serve the vintage Sansui and Pioneer, along with the Shindo blocks. Also, I didn't particularly care for having to buy a dedicated amp for the 009's either, so they were dropped from the list early on. Now that I own them, they still might get dropped.

I ordered the HE-6 from my consultant but learned after a week that he wouldn't be available. In audio, we want things like 
ksc75smile.gif
yesterday! And I didn't want to sling the cans around country - Receive them, then ship them back out to get re-cabled; hardwired. My cat would have dolled them up, then shipped 'em out. And when I realized the Dollar/Yen rate had changed yet again, I said "Hmmm..."

But a few weeks prior, the day before I ordered the Yammo, the Shindo blocks suddenly came to my attention. My current living arrangements will not allow for speakers. However, that day will 
evil_smiley.gif
 come. For the Sansui G-22000, I'd like to try Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Heresy's and other vintage fare. No need for me to worry about the room and treatment if I don't know where I'll be living. I'm prepared to buy-sell-trade vintage speakers and take it from there. Play it by ear, if you would... 
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, I'm waiting on a pair of DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 88's to pop-up pre-owned for the F2a Sinhonia blocks. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #9,472 of 19,143
Quote:
It would help if you told us what you're trying to do. If your computer has the Essence STX in it, the Burson Conductor DAC is superfluous. Also, since the Burson is also a head amp, you don't really need the LD III.

Personally, I think its highly unlikely that the Burson DAC is any better than your STX. And the LD is likely not any better an amplifier than the Burson or the Pioneer.

So, if you are using your SX-750 as a headphone amp, I personally would get rid of the Burson and LD and go straight from the STX to your Pioneer.

Since you did not have a smiley, I can only assume that either you are of the "everything sounds the same" crowd, or you have heard the Conductor and dislike it.

The Essence STX is better than DACs costing less than $99, otherwise there is no way that it can compete with the DAC in the Conductor.  Even more so if you use the USB cable to create an asynchronous connection to the Burson DAC (which makes a big difference IMHO).

To Mikelap - having read some more about the Burson Conductor, their philosophy is to use discrete design - no opamps or ICs - so it makes even more sense that their amp sounds similar to 1970s electronics because those are also discrete.

If you are serious about trying the LD with the Pioneer, then the best way would be:

PC (via USB) -> Burson -> LD -> Pioneer AUX input

all using RCA interconnects (except for the USB).  That keeps the number of connections to a minimum.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #9,473 of 19,143
(Silent one) Nevermind Stax, you need stacks of bricks and a roof over your head!! 

We worry about you in that hotel room 
size]

Get your new digs then you can sort your new set up 
size]

(just playing mother :wink: 
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #9,474 of 19,143
Quote:
Since you did not have a smiley, I can only assume that either you are of the "everything sounds the same" crowd, or you have heard the Conductor and dislike it.

The Essence STX is better than DACs costing less than $99, otherwise there is no way that it can compete with the DAC in the Conductor.  Even more so if you use the USB cable to create an asynchronous connection to the Burson DAC (which makes a big difference IMHO).

To Mikelap - having read some more about the Burson Conductor, their philosophy is to use discrete design - no opamps or ICs - so it makes even more sense that their amp sounds similar to 1970s electronics because those are also discrete.

If you are serious about trying the LD with the Pioneer, then the best way would be:

PC (via USB) -> Burson -> LD -> Pioneer AUX input

all using RCA interconnects (except for the USB).  That keeps the number of connections to a minimum.

Thanks for your time it appreciated

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #9,475 of 19,143
Quote:
In that case then you will need to have the Little dot in between your Burson and the Pioneer. Rca outs (Dac out) from the Burson - inputs of LD amp - LD pre outs - Pioneer Aux. 

Oh, and I would have as loud as poss on the pre amp to find a comfortable level on the Pioneer :) You'll be able to use both volumes this way Both LD and Pioneer

Thanks man its appreciated 

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #9,476 of 19,143
Quote:
(Silent one) Nevermind Stax, you need stacks of bricks and a roof over your head!! 

We worry about you in that hotel room 
size]

Get your new digs then you can sort your new set up 
size]

(just playing mother :wink: 
size]

rolleyes.gif
 Yeah, I'm in hot pursuit! Have not found the right opportunity yet. Sep/Oct perhaps...

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #9,477 of 19,143
Quote:

For the Sansui G-22000, I'd like to try Klipschorns, Cornwalls, Heresy's and other vintage fare. 

let us know how that goes. Klipsch Heritage horns have a tendency for harshness toward the top end & as such, loves good quality tubes esp. SET. they're super efficient so 5-10W drives em to house rumbling levels. would love to know how it goes with Sansui's penultimate TOTL monsta receiver. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #9,478 of 19,143
I shall. Efficiency is one of the reasons for the Klipsch selections, so I could leash 'em up to both the Sansui and Shindo for trial and adventure. The Shindo monoblocks put out 40 wpc. Still, would like to get my grubby lil' hands on some vintage Altec or Pioneer for the Sansui. 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #9,479 of 19,143
I purchased a Kenwood amp on Ebay (more about this after it arrives, including pictures, the auction pictures were poor, which is why it ended up being a good deal... it had a excellent review with headphones a couple of years ago in this thread).   It is missing the power cord, which plugs into:

Anyone know where I can get one of these?  Is there a name/term/jargon for this specific two-prong cord, so that I can search for it ?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, it could be a "mod" - the bottom of the receptacle appears to overlap the white line while the top does not, which might indicate a job done by hand (perhaps due to original cord breaking at the entry point).  But same questions still apply.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #9,480 of 19,143
Quote:

Thanks, but don't be surprised to see it on the F/S forum in March. There's only so much pie, and the slice Stax took was intended for speakers. 
biggrin.gif

congratz silent!

if i am ever back in SoCal i know where im stopping!  i want to see pics of the setup for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back