Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #9,451 of 19,145
I really need to get my Marantz serviced. The background hum is annoying me. Same level it's always been, but it's starting to drive me insane. But at the same time, I really need a turntable since my old vintage one broke.

This hobby is going to bankrupt me. I'm a college kid.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #9,452 of 19,145
Quote:
Got an SX-780 for -$20 today. You read that right. I was paid $20 to obtain this. It has very little use from new, and other than some dust it's basically brand-new inside. So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Let's just hope it doesn't explode like my ST-120 did.

You are hereby nominated for Deal of the Year ! !

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #9,453 of 19,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got a big promotion at work today, so maybe an HD800 is in my future. 

Wow, congratulations dude !   

I have heard many excellent things about the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog headphones, and he likely will accept T50RPs with Alpha Pads for upgrades at lower cost at the end of September.  So stay tuned (for what some are calling the "closed HD800s").

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #9,454 of 19,145
Quote:
I really need to get my Marantz serviced. The background hum is annoying me. Same level it's always been, but it's starting to drive me insane. But at the same time, I really need a turntable since my old vintage one broke.

This hobby is going to bankrupt me. I'm a college kid.

That's what my 430 does HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... I need to re-cap it and new power filter capacitors put in. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #9,455 of 19,145
Quote:

No, I don't actually. But your rapid rise at work places you
ksc75smile.gif
 in my target market. In mid-to-late September, I have the Stax SR-009/WEE combo coming in and I'm looking forward to seeing what I'll get when paired to either my Sansui or Pioneer. To be clear, I got the Stax for my vintage vacuum tube amps. But, I might as well play around 
evil_smiley.gif
and experiment with 'em! 

Hmm - did you think
blink.gif
 that Stax bit out ? Electrostatics need much higher voltage and lower current to operate than normal dynamic speakers or headphones. SR 009 will not work off Sansui or Pioneer - they do not provide polarising voltage/bias and even if they did, voltage output is FAR too low.
You will need a transformer box ( an adapter in Stax' parlance, like SRD7 for example ) to go in between receiver(normal power amp) and ESLs. Or replace both by a dedicated high voltage "direct drive" amplifier such as Stax' numerous offerings or ( I assume, never saw one in my life ) the WEE .

The words in audio starting with TRANS.....   elicit peculiar behaviour from me. If the next letter after the S is I, everything remains normal and calm. But if it is an F
angry_face.gif
 - meaning it will be a transformer - by the time you pronounce O, my hand will be on my holster, by the time gets pronounced, my imaginary Magnum will be pointed dead center of that corpus non delicatess, at I will fire , at I will be blowing the smoke off the barrel, at the gun will be back in the holster, peace and order restored 
rolleyes.gif

Now, (vintage) tube amps (with the exception of OTL designs ) first have step down transformer, then Stax adapter has step up transformer - that is why I carry two imaginary Magnums...

Funny thing - as much as I object to any transformer anywhere in the audio signal path, in some midrange centric systems they can sound quite decent. But it is like a flavour of some tea I would never consider buying again - tried out of curiosity and forgotten for all practical purposes.

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #9,456 of 19,145
Quote:
Got an SX-780 for -$20 today. You read that right. I was paid $20 to obtain this. It has very little use from new, and other than some dust it's basically brand-new inside. So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Let's just hope it doesn't explode like my ST-120 did.

Dude, get that Pioneer off that cd player quick before it's crushed!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #9,457 of 19,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm - did you think
blink.gif
 that Stax bit out ? Electrostatics need much higher voltage and lower current to operate than normal dynamic speakers or headphones. SR 009 will not work off Sansui or Pioneer - they do not provide polarising voltage/bias and even if they did, voltage output is FAR too low.
You will need a transformer box ( an adapter in Stax' parlance, like SRD7 for example ) to go in between receiver(normal power amp) and ESLs. Or replace both by a dedicated high voltage "direct drive" amplifier such as Stax' numerous offerings or ( I assume, never saw one in my life ) the WEE .

The words in audio starting with TRANS.....   elicit peculiar behaviour from me. If the next letter after the S is I, everything remains normal and calm. But if it is an F
angry_face.gif
 - meaning it will be a transformer - by the time you pronounce O, my hand will be on my holster, by the time gets pronounced, my imaginary Magnum will be pointed dead center of that corpus non delicatess, at I will fire , at I will be blowing the smoke off the barrel, at the gun will be back in the holster, peace and order restored 
rolleyes.gif

Now, (vintage) tube amps (with the exception of OTL designs ) first have step down transformer, then Stax adapter has step up transformer - that is why I carry two imaginary Magnums...

Funny thing - as much as I object to any transformer anywhere in the audio signal path, in some midrange centric systems they can sound quite decent. But it is like a flavour of some tea I would never consider buying again - tried out of curiosity and forgotten for all practical purposes.

Silent notes made audible... and visible.

Transformers? Step up, step down?? I've a strong feeling, next time I pass by that Jazzercise class...
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif
. In all seriousness, your concern and experience is noted. Let's talk briefly about my playmates and play dates, shall we?

In consideration of my vintage irons (solid state and tube), I plan:

- HE-6 for both the Sansui & Shindo
- Efficient speakers for the Shindo; vintage speakers for the Sansui
- Stax for an electrostatic amp

The Stax/WEE purchase is an immediate stop, made out-of-order based on opportunity. Voila... my rhyme & reasons! 
ksc75smile.gif
 I'm really looking forward to all of these pieces as they fall.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #9,458 of 19,145
Quote:
You are hereby nominated for Deal of the Year ! !

I didn't really believe my luck myself. So far, it hasn't had any sort of issues whatsoever.

Quote:

Dude, get that Pioneer off that cd player quick before it's crushed!!

I do need to rearrange the desk so I can put each component in its own place, but for the time being the Onkyo is strong enough to hold the 780. There's no vents or anything on top being blocked, either.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9,459 of 19,145
Quote:

Transformers? Step up, step down?? I've a strong feeling, next time I pass by that Jazzercise class...
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif
. In all seriousness, your concern and experience is noted. Let's talk briefly about my playmates and play dates, shall we?

- Stax for a electrostatic amp

The Stax/WEE purchase is an immediate stop, made out-of-order based on opportunity. Voila... my rhyme & reasons! 
ksc75smile.gif

Congrats on getting the ultimate Headphone bro! 
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #9,460 of 19,145
Quote:
That's what my 430 does HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... I need to re-cap it and new power filter capacitors put in. 

Mine can only be heard in silence and really on headphones only. I use it as a headphone amp, though, in addition to stereo.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #9,461 of 19,145
Quote:

tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

- Stax for a electrostatic amp

ksc75smile.gif

Nice selection of playmates to choose from indeed !  Which vintage speakers are you considering for the Sansui

I can perfectly understand "out of order based on opportunity" purchase(s) - sometimes it is "now or never" 
L3000.gif
with vintage rare gear, sometimes it is just too great an opportunity in financial sense to pass up...

I would like to audition 009 at some point - 007 and its matching tube amp did not convince me enough to even consider direct exchanging it for Lambda Pro/SRM1MK2, let alone paying the difference in price. With a better amp, things might have been different. 009 is a more convincing animal they say, enjoy yours !

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #9,462 of 19,145
Quote:

Mine can only be heard in silence and really on headphones only. I use it as a headphone amp, though, in addition to stereo.

Yeah I've got a couple of amps that have a very slight hum. But it also depends what headphones I'm using... My K701's don't produce the hum at all. But the HD800's will highlight anything! I sometimes think it may be just the noise floor of a particular amp rather than there being anything wrong with it... Because remember these amps aren't designed with sensitive headphones in mind. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #9,463 of 19,145
i have a question  for you guys which involves a Pioneer SX750 a littledot mk3 that i want to use as preamp with the Pioneer and the Burson Conductors dac out to go to computer is it possible to set this up ill include picture of the 3 amps  . Thanks                                                                                                                                                 

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,464 of 19,145
Quote:
i have a question  for you guys which involves a Pioneer SX750 a littledot mk3 that i want to use as preamp with the Pioneer and the Burson Conductors dac out to go to computer is it possible to set this up ill include picture of the 3 amps  . Thanks                                                                                                                                                 

Yeah Mike, you can add any dac or pre-amp to your receiver as they all have rca outs and your receiver has Aux/tape rca inputs. There is a pre amp out of your Burson so you may not need the LD pre. I'm assuming this will be for speaker use as a pre amp will not be needed for hp's unless you want a little more control of the volume pot. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,465 of 19,145
It would help if you told us what you're trying to do. If your computer has the Essence STX in it, the Burson Conductor DAC is superfluous. Also, since the Burson is also a head amp, you don't really need the LD III.

Personally, I think its highly unlikely that the Burson DAC is any better than your STX. And the LD is likely not any better an amplifier than the Burson or the Pioneer.

So, if you are using your SX-750 as a headphone amp, I personally would get rid of the Burson and LD and go straight from the STX to your Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back