Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #5,671 of 19,143
As you indicate, Optonica made very nice gear. I had an Optonica integrated for a while, amazingly well made and sounded great. It's an off-brand that can be a tremendous bargain.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5,672 of 19,143
Wow, $65 for a PL-550 is an amazing score.

Sweet! I dont know much about it. Just that it's big and heavy and looked nice. No auto return is the only downside. I'm not a big fan of full auto but I do like auto return. Just swapped my m91ed onto the head shell for it. After a slight connection mix up it sounds really good. Liking it more than my Yamaha TT.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5,673 of 19,143
Quote:
Sweet! I dont know much about it. Just that it's big and heavy and looked nice. No auto return is the only downside. I'm not a big fan of full auto but I do like auto return. Just swapped my m91ed onto the head shell for it. After a slight connection mix up it sounds really good. Liking it more than my Yamaha TT.

Pics would be awesome 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Might be more appropriate in the turntable thread, but I'm sure they'd be welcome here.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5,674 of 19,143
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

went to pick up the 2270 at my buddies shop.  we put it on the scope to push it...
and the same popping sound that led me to take it to them in the first place showed back up
frown.gif

they recapped the power supply, main filter caps and both amp boards along with the service bulletin mod.  and replaced differential input matched pair on both amp boards.  we assumed they were the issue causing the popping.  obviously not.  im really sad, but i know i wasn't the most upset person in the room.  my buddy that did 90% of the work was the saddest.  cause he's the kind of guy  that won't stop until its fixed.  I know this thing had been his albatross for the last few weeks.  he took the job because it was out of his comfort zone and had battled it for the first 2 weeks.  but he said then he really got used to the workings of these things.  he mainly specializes in repairing PA systems, pedals, mixing boards and guitar/bass guitar amps.  But the good thing is he is good.  very good.  so i have no doubt that he'll figure it out.  I really felt bad for him. 

while i was there they seemed to be able to quickly start narrowing down other possibilities.  hopefully i'll get her back this weekend.

there's the PL550.  So far it sounds great except i screwed up either the original headshell or the Shure M91ED cart or stylus or all three trying to change it over to the original head shell for the 550.

not the best luck today.  but i did get a decent new TT.  so not all is lost i guess

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #5,677 of 19,143
Thanks!
The anticipation of hearing it with my 2270 might kill me
My 2235B is having to hold me over for now

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,678 of 19,143
Quote:
Thanks!
The anticipation of hearing it with my 2270 might kill me
My 2235B is having to hold me over for now

I have jacked my dads 2270 until the rest of the stuff arrives... Using my STX as a source and my Denons... HOLY !@#$%^& I really like what I hear

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #5,680 of 19,143
I'm also very satisfied with the M2270. I've actually stopped visiting Head-Fi daily since I got the M2270/LCD2R2-combo. Which I do not like, at all! But I guess it shows that I really enjoy my M2270 :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,682 of 19,143
turn up the volume, tone pots while on the scope to make sure at high output it was still giving nice flat waves

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #5,683 of 19,143
Well after reading so many threads on headamps and looking forward to one, I decided to get my circa 1975 H/K 330B out of the closet to use as a headamp in the meantime. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. My vintage K340 electrostats have never sounded so good. I'm still looking for the sub. At 10 o'clock the bass just gets so deep. Great low extension. Mid-bass packs a real kick. Real tight. The mids and highs are, well just outstanding  (though that was never an issue) At 11 it's like you can feel it. Past that it's just way too loud though still awesome sounding. The cans needed good power but I really didn't thing a receiver would be so good.

As for my FA-011s, well deep bass is even deeper, but it brings out everything I love about them. Surpisingly the mids are what get's the best improvement. One amp for both, I'm a happy camper

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #5,684 of 19,143
Quote:
turn up the volume, tone pots while on the scope to make sure at high output it was still giving nice flat waves

Hm. It's possible the protection circuit was breaking in to save the output transistors; if the amp was driving speakers instead of dummy loads (big power resistors), the probability of protection-circuit intervention increases.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #5,685 of 19,143
Any thoughts/opinions on a Kenwood KR-6060 for ~$50 or a Sony STR-7065 for $140?

Are these units well regarded and prices reasonable. Not much here on Headfi, but the Sony seems well thought of and both prices seem pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back