Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5,641 of 19,142
I have owned both stock and modded Stereo 70s in the past. Nice amp. Dynaco sold huge amounts of them, so they've stayed pretty affordable, and as OJNeg said, lots and lots of ways to mod them. I think Audio By VanAlstine still sells upgrade kits for them as well. I had a VanAlstine modded ST70 for my whole college years and 4-5 years after, beautiful sounding.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,642 of 19,142
My dads 2270 refurbed.

Still waiting on the Musichall MMF-5.1  and the HD650, personally I don't like the SS with the D7000..... 

Chilling in my flat for now.

Sounds amazing, like seriously, we had some issues with the bass on the "Sansui" speakers causing crazy vibrations, and until I get new carpets... yeah hobo solution, but it works, and raises the speakers to ear level. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,643 of 19,142
Sweet 2270, WiR3D!!!

I'll bet the HD650s will sound terrific!

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5,644 of 19,142
Quote:
Any of you know about old tt cartridges?
... Well the pioneer came with a Shure Bros hitrack [M91E]. ... I'll be darned if that cart isn't awesome. It's got a nice thick sound compared to the AT[95E] and is very smooth while still detailed without a hint of distortion or sibilence. How is that possible? This thing was in some bodies attic for 30 years. We're talking serious heat. It was 115 degrees today and that's out in the breeze,my attics probably 140. So 30 years of that. And it still sounds awesome. Though I did replace its stylus.
Anybody know the cart off the top of their head and would it be worth putting a better needle on it?

This was my first cartridge, and yes, it's been out of production for years. When it hit the market in 1969, it was second banana to the mighty V15 Type II. For the price, and at that time, it was amazingly good. The M91E revealed something on LPs I'd never heard before: tape hiss.

Technically, as you might expect from something this old, the M91E is completely out of date, though certainly usable, and many people still find it makes the soundtrack of their lives sound just right. So what if the response curve isn't flat? Flat, schmat. Your speakers aren't flat. Your room isn't flat. If it sounds good, it is good, but you know you've crossed the line into audiophilerasty when your immediate question is a frantic "Yes, but could it sound better ??" Don't go there.

A cartridge body baking in a 140-degree F attic will not be damaged, but a stylus certainly will, and it's the stylus that actually digs the sound out of the grooves, so it's not amazing that the cart sounds okay-- you tossed the part that got cooked.

Yes, it's worth putting a better stylus on it. The jack of all trades M97 series, one of which is still in production and easy to find, will fill in nicely and provide several technical improvements (the N97xE stylus is the one to look for). Beyond that, it gets absolutely Easter-egg-hunt spendy nutty crazy. Best not to ask unless you like spending $170 for a stylus. Heh heh.

I have a V-15 V and an M95HE, both very nice.

Which V have you got? which stylus?

Quote:
Sounds amazing, like seriously, we had some issues with the bass on the "Sansui" speakers causing crazy vibrations, and until I get new carpets... yeah hobo solution, but it works, and raisis the speakers to ear level. 

It's always good to have the tweeters at ear level. If the speaker's a two-way, getting the woof-mid at ear level helps too. The bass problem is exaggerated when the speaker is buried in the corner, as in your photo. Getting it up off the floor helps, but pulling it about a foot away from the corner will help too. A speaker in a corner basically turns the room into a horn and activates all the room's resonances, many of which are, you guessed it, in the bass, and that makes life miserable for your turntable. Remember: speaker placement, like FM reception, is often a game of inches.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5,645 of 19,142
I'm not really sure what gen my V-15 V is. It's for sure prior to MR. And it's the original Shure stylus that came with it. Probably 200-300 hours or so on it.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #5,646 of 19,142
On the heels of discussion, a few short questions...

I own a Gemini PT-2000 III with a Shure White Label cart. Thinking about upgrading the cart a bit. Lipstick on a pig? Also, my SX-D7000 features both MM & MC. Is my TT able to accept either?
popcorn.gif

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5,647 of 19,142
Your turntable doesn't care about MM vs MC. The compliance of the cartridge does need to be somewhat matched to the mass of the tonearm, though.

I wouldn't spend a huge sum on a new cartridge for that TT, but something like the Shure M97xe would probably be a nice upgrade.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,648 of 19,142
Thanks, Skylab. I'm trying to avoid the investment, but a replacement TT has been delayed. Trying to achieve a small bump during the interim.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #5,649 of 19,142
I know it's not a "integrated/receiver", but does anyone have any experience with the Dynaco ST70?
I'm toying with the idea of getting one as my first full-size tube amp.
Would a Little Dot MKIII work as a pre-amp for starting out?
Thanks!
BG

Little dot mkiii has no dc blocking caps on the preamp outputs, so you should only use it with cap coupled receivers/integrateds.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #5,650 of 19,142
Quote:
It's always good to have the tweeters at ear level. If the speaker's a two-way, getting the woof-mid at ear level helps too. The bass problem is exaggerated when the speaker is buried in the corner, as in your photo. Getting it up off the floor helps, but pulling it about a foot away from the corner will help too. A speaker in a corner basically turns the room into a horn and activates all the room's resonances, many of which are, you guessed it, in the bass, and that makes life miserable for your turntable. Remember: speaker placement, like FM reception, is often a game of inches.

I know that, it was an issue even when flat faced to the wall. its about a foot and a half out of the corner, it actually works very nicely, the low 40Hz and lower sub bass is boosted a lil bit, which is not a problem, and somewhat desirable, just placing the speakers on the Ottomans made a phenomenal difference, I'm trying to find something the right size I can use as a stand for the speakers (they are 3 way) and probably going to get some really really really thick carpet to put it on. 

Cannot believe the clarity from these speakers, the amp I do believe, the El cheapo random speakers with a Sansui badge I cannot. Lacks a bit of midbass punch for me though.

I need to take the amp out of my flat before I buy myself one... Talking of which I am in a position to get a NAD 3020e for next to nothing in great condition, barely used. Yay or nay? 

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #5,651 of 19,142
After a few months of checking Craigslist, looking in thrift stores and keeping an eye out, I've found a Sansui 9090 and I think I can get it for free
If I can't get it for free, what should offer to someone that isn't interested in audio quality and doesn't listen to music much?

What is the 9090 like? Haven't read much about sansui

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #5,652 of 19,142
The 9090 is a very fine receiver. It's on the warm side sonically. Typically they sell around $300-400 if in very good to excellent condition. If you can get one for $200 or less that is in good shape and doesn't immediately need work.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #5,653 of 19,142
Lol that was true a short while ago. But for some reason these have skyrocketed, and so have the 8080. There was an 8080 in my area for 500.00, and I believe it eventually sold. There's a 9090 on ebay now for 1000.00, though I seriously doubt it will go for anywhere near that. I had my hopes set on one a while back, and one did come up for 300.00. But giving the recent prices, it was gone an hour after is was listed. I still want one though, so hopefully the prices will come back down to earth.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5,654 of 19,142
Wow. I'm definitely not in a good situation to listen to the amp but I used my phone just to see how it sounded. There is a noticeable buzz even when the volume is completely down and a couple of lamps are out. Obviously there are potentiometer scratching. Anything else I should look for? It's a family members received and I'll be around it for a week or so.

Edit: there is also an issue with the source selection knob. It doesn't always play through both channels and I have to wiggle the knob to get it to stick. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back