Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,491 of 19,136

Quote:
Alright. I'm on a crazy mission now for an SX-1250. 
evil_smiley.gif

Good luck!

I'm one of these people too.. Or the 9090DB..

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2,493 of 19,136

Quote:
Instead of plunking down $35 on a faceplate from eBay to replace the damaged glass on my 950 I decided today to do little DIY vintage repair. The faceplate is easy to remove from the SX's so I had it off in no time. The glass plate is glued in place with something that resembles contact glue. I pried it free and then reassembled the broken pieces on a piece of paper to create a template. I traced the dimensions and traveled over to Taplastics. While I waited they cut a replacement from clear acrylic and we test mounted it in the face plate, perfect fit. I purchased some thin double sided tape they had as well. Back home, I cleaned the old adhesive from the surfaces, added strips of the tape, mounted the plastic, and reassembled. The tape was the most expensive part of the repair and brought my total to just over $10. She is back in her full glory! I spent the afternoon surfing the FM dial.

If you run into a unit with damaged glass, don't let it scare you off, the repair is pretty easy and cheap too.

Nice tip, I was going to see about a glass cutter in town but now I have an alternative. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2,494 of 19,136

Quote:
IMO if you want a Sansui, the G Series looks way better.

I am fond of G series always, especially x000 even though x700 has cool LED lights.
Not long ago, I met an old audiophile who once had a record store. I told him I was looking for big Gs, but he suggested me to look for Sui Au integrate instead.  In his opinion, Au integrate is best sound Sui with tube-like sound. From our conversation, I do believe the old gent really knows the stuff, so I spread his thoughts here.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,495 of 19,136
just acquired the pioneer sx-626 9.8/10 condition, didnt know thats still possible lol. for 20$ best thing that ive ever bought! gonna post pics tonight or tom morning w/ my temp setup ! :)

Edit: Sorry about my BOTL picture taking skills and cam phone, and were moving out.

head out actually sounded sweet, i think the sound stage and juice is good but then again my tma-1 doesnt need much power.

Playing Eric Clapton unplugged CD, that i got on clearance from half priced books, from my Desktop's stock Scard :frowning2: but still awesome for me

hopefully i could add a nice TT and dac to the family :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,496 of 19,136

Quote:
I am fond of G series always, especially x000 even though x700 has cool LED lights.
Not long ago, I met an old audiophile who once had a record store. I told him I was looking for big Gs, but he suggested me to look for Sui Au integrate instead.  In his opinion, Au integrate is best sound Sui with tube-like sound. From our conversation, I do believe the old gent really knows the stuff, so I spread his thoughts here.

I have yet to own a big G, but i did have the AU-999 and it sounded very lush and IMO better than my 2270.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2,497 of 19,136

Quote:
I have yet to own a big G, but i did have the AU-999 and it sounded very lush and IMO better than my 2270.

Yes, the old gent was talking about old AU integrate, not the generation of and after AU-x17. I thought He referred  to AU before 1977 since he didn't talk my Au-517.
Could someone refer me to a Sansui chronicle website? I googled but couldn't find good one.

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,498 of 19,136
QUOTE: by diodiel - "just acquired the pioneer sx-626 9.8/10 condition, didnt know thats still possible lol. for 20$ best thing that ive ever bought!"

Dang! Only 20 somolians? You did well, she's a beaut!

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2,499 of 19,136

Quote:

Yes, the old gent was talking about old AU integrate, not the generation of and after AU-x17. I thought He referred  to AU before 1977 since he didn't talk my Au-517.
Could someone refer me to a Sansui chronicle website? I googled but couldn't find good one.

This is the best I've been able to find.

On another note, here's a better pick of my Harman Kardon 730

I have to say I'm absolutely loving this beast with the LCD-2's. I have a line on a Pioneer SX-650 which, if all goes well, I should have here in the next week or two. Considering how happy I am with the HK I'm not sure if I'm crazy to bother but it seems like a pretty good deal so I figured it would give me an opportunity to compare the two.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2,501 of 19,136

Quote:
QUOTE: by diodiel - "just acquired the pioneer sx-626 9.8/10 condition, didnt know thats still possible lol. for 20$ best thing that ive ever bought!"

Dang! Only 20 somolians? You did well, she's a beaut!

yes and Thanks! im really enjoying the warmth that they give ^_^ id keep this forever unless a mint 828 pops out :p + im just using them without the speaker plugs, not sure if thats a bad idea...

anyways does any1 know if the 626 would be a good preamp

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2,503 of 19,136
Seems like they were around the league of the Pioneer SX-950 or 980 back in the day, although they do not have nearly the same following with the vintage crowd, so not sure how good they actually were.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2,504 of 19,136
There has been some nice looking receivers posted lately, and yet there are still many gems to be discovered. The last year or so have really shown me that ss can also sound awesome. I've had too many misses in the past with ss gear. Too bad it's been limited to vintage gear. The only modern ss amps that i've liked so far has been limited to high end amps. Nothing budget or midfi has impressed me. Where would i be without my vintage gear.:)

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #2,505 of 19,136

Quote:
There has been some nice looking receivers posted lately, and yet there are still many gems to be discovered. The last year or so have really shown me that ss can also sound awesome. I've had too many misses in the past with ss gear. Too bad it's been limited to vintage gear. The only modern ss amps that i've liked so far has been limited to high end amps. Nothing budget or midfi has impressed me. Where would i be without my vintage gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tell you the truth, its vintage or go home for me. The Sansui intergrateds are very musical amps and ive heard that their nothing like the bigger G receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back