Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2,462 of 19,136
@ lwrs10... I prefer your garage... more then your room
atsmile.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,464 of 19,136

Quote:
I was replying to your thread on AK btw.....

The 801 is a black faced G8000. I would love to find me one of those...

? Its not black faced, but i wish it was. Maybe its just the picture.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #2,466 of 19,136

Quote:
 Argedee wrote: "I've got a pair of Audio-Technica electrets (ATH-7), and am in love with the detail, and airy spaciousness; I might prefer them for acoustic music over the HE-6. I'm less in love with the comfort (the cups are at fixed angles and the pads are on-ear)".

I was just at a meet this past weekend in Seattle and a Head-fier whose name I never got showed up with a pristine pair of ATH-706 cans and amplifier, in its original box and with "just printed yesterday" quality user brochures.  But I simply couldn't bring myself to listen to them because I knew the small pads, barely covering one's ear, were going to leak alot of the headphone sound and ruin the ambience in the room, as I tend to play pretty loudly compared to the rest of ya'lls.  If I get a chance to be alone in a room with them...I'll write back. 

BTW, how much do they go for?  I saw very few posts about them on Head-fi, with a pristine pair going up for sale back in 2009 (which I think may be the one I saw).  

I bought a pair of ATH-7s from a neighbor (who got them at a garage sale) for $25.  Found them to be very power hungy with solid state amps.  Sounded pretty good, but bass-light.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,468 of 19,136
didnt jump on pioneer hpm100s :\ it sounded good but i enjoyed the polk better for some reason... got a pair of a pretty clean looking rta 8ts with either brown or cherry finish instead. they wer in a much better condition too.. should be perfect for my living room :) and might get the sx 626 soon! then im all set just a turn table left, fow now! :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2,469 of 19,136
Movers delivered our worldly belongings to our new house on Monday... this evening I'm enjoying some good music on vintage kit in my new home, for the first time in weeks.

Although I'm not permitting myself to assemble the listening chair until I've got enough of the rest of the house unboxed and put away, I feel like I can finally relax a little.

Ahh.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2,471 of 19,136
So, my Pioneer SX-1050 arrived today! Despite the outer box being in rough condition, the receiver looks and sounds great! It drives both my LCD-2 and T1s effortlessly from the headphone jack, and while I wouldn't call it effortless with the HE-6, it nevertheless makes them sound better than either my Lyr or WA2.

One thing I didn't consider is exactly how big this puppy is! I've seen them before, but you have to have them in your own place with your own stuff to truly appreciate their massiveness... and lo and behold, it doesn't fit in my Solidsteel rack! I don't love having my P3-24 on top, but I don't have any other choice right now!

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,472 of 19,136

Quote:
So, my Pioneer SX-1050 arrived today! Despite the outer box being in rough condition, the receiver looks and sounds great! It drives both my LCD-2 and T1s effortlessly from the headphone jack, and while I wouldn't call it effortless with the HE-6, it nevertheless makes them sound better than either my Lyr or WA2.

One thing I didn't consider is exactly how big this puppy is! I've seen them before, but you have to have them in your own place with your own stuff to truly appreciate their massiveness... and lo and behold, it doesn't fit in my Solidsteel rack! I don't love having my P3-24 on top, but I don't have any other choice right now!

I know, personally i like the heavy-ness factor of my 1250, which is 69 pounds. Now im looking for a TOTL receiver to top that
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,473 of 19,136

Quote:
I bought a pair of ATH-7s from a neighbor (who got them at a garage sale) for $25.  Found them to be very power hungy with solid state amps.  Sounded pretty good, but bass-light.

Did it include the electret amplifier or just the headphones?

"Bass-light" is somewhat synonymous with "ATH" for that matter...haven't heard much of a change in bass-presence between closed and open backed ATH cans regardless of amp changes, though I do love their midrange, which changes from being more recessed or upfront depending on the amp.  

If you do have a pair of ATH-7s with the amplifier, could you post a pic of them, for the good of the fellowship? 

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #2,474 of 19,136

Quote:

Did it include the electret amplifier or just the headphones?

"Bass-light" is somewhat synonymous with "ATH" for that matter...haven't heard much of a change in bass-presence between closed and open backed ATH cans regardless of amp changes, though I do love their midrange, which changes from being more recessed or upfront depending on the amp.  

If you do have a pair of ATH-7s with the amplifier, could you post a pic of them, for the good of the fellowship? 

They did come with the amplifier (just a transformer I think).  Pics are in this thread  http://www.head-fi.org/t/526475/audio-technica-at-705-electret-condenser-headphone

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #2,475 of 19,136

Quote:

Nice, OOS!  Yeah, the size of these bad boys can be a surprise...neither of my big Pioneers fit "in" any of my racks either - only "on", as in on top :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back