Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 6, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #17,522 of 19,139
picked up this little beauty today off a facebook yard sale page
a little static in the volume pot, and the balance control is a little wonky, it does work though, are the only issues
cosmetically, it's in VERY good condition, me thinks i did good for $60 !

sx580.JPG

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #17,523 of 19,139
picked up this little beauty today off a facebook yard sale page
a little static in the volume pot, and the balance control is a little wonky, it does work though, are the only issues
cosmetically, it's in VERY good condition, me thinks i did good for $60 !

Certainly. Looks clean to me. A little bit of deoxit and you're in for some fun!

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #17,524 of 19,139
Certainly. Looks clean to me. A little bit of deoxit and you're in for some fun!

i've got everything to do a complete cleaning, inside and out, but there really isn't a whole lot that needs to be done, i haven't opened it up yet, but looking in through the screen/vent, it looks retty good

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #17,526 of 19,139
Nice gear everyone. Especially those awesome tables! Here is a picture of my restored Pioneer PL-516 with Denon DL-110. Love it!

IMG_20180220_105717663.jpg

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #17,527 of 19,139
Nice 516. I have one in NOS condition. It's been in a stereo cabinet for probably twenty years.:ksc75smile:

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #17,528 of 19,139
Nice 516. I have one in NOS condition. It's been in a stereo cabinet for probably twenty years.:ksc75smile:

Thanks, very happy with it. So you don't use your 516?

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #17,529 of 19,139
Ok, so a Marantz PM-11 Sx, PM14 SE, PM-KI Pearl or Yamaha A-S3000 won't yield great results with speakers? They beat a totally undiscrete and unbalanced Rotel 350W at 3000$ with ease. They won't beat a Pair of MA-9Sx for sure I can tell you but they will give any Classe A/B amp a tough challenge given the price difference. The new Classe Class D amps are a joke.
New technology? Kharma speakers with ceramic drivers anyone? Sound as bad as speakers can get yet some "high-end" manufacurers like to copy the ceramic crap.
So just like you say, yes, some vintage gear is superior and yes some high priced modern gear beats it but some of the highest priced gear nowadays is a joke. But saying some of the highly regarded vintage brands can't make anything worthwhile anymore is a big mistake. Okay, most of their stuff is useless but the amps I mentioned before as well as Pioneers plasma screens are hard to beat. Not to mention the Pioneer SE-M1. Best phones I ever heard although I'm a big fan of closed phones mainly of the Foster created models, be they original or modded.
In any case, I really love the sound of those vintage amps for phones as well as for speakers. OK, A Marantz PM-11 with B&W 80x beats them in detail and soundstage but in sheer power, bass response and allround enjoyment the vintage gear wins. Not to mention the looks and the joy to look at them from my perspective.
Kharma 3.2 ceramic sounds 3 times better than Kharma S7 signature

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #17,530 of 19,139
Hey all, I haven’t posted anything substantial in a while as I haven’t had my system fully running for months due to the move. Everything was put into a container in July and shipped 9 timezones east over to Europe. There have certainly been a few trials on the way haha. Two of my Sony str-6120’s smoked themselves after being converted to 220v. The damage was limited to an outlet switch on the mains side on both, so yay for consistency I suppose. The component that melted had 550v printed on it, so consider me annoyed that a 50 year old part doesn’t perform to spec haha. Learning my lesson with the sony’s I put the sansui G33000 on a 2500VA step down transformer instead of switching it to 220v - too much unobtanium to risk on it.

The next trial came with the dual 1229 turntable - 50hz in makes it 17% slow. So I bought a u-turn audio turntable to get me by, but I didn’t do my research and it was also 17% slow and they don’t sell larger spindles. My friend offered to 3D print a new spindle, but the one he made has some quality control issues (too rough, audible flutter, slightly irregular). So I got a series of frequency converters until I found one that doesn’t have a fan that makes an annoying hum.

Once I got the speed right, it still kinda sounded thin on vinyl. So I replaced the cartridge with a decent audiotechnica elliptical model. I’m really happy with the results and I love having my music back!

To every member of this thread, please excuse my language, but : H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T !!!!!! That's like dying & going to audiophile heaven. What a nice setup. Congratulations.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #17,531 of 19,139
To every member of this thread, please excuse my language, but : H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T !!!!!! That's like dying & going to audiophile heaven. What a nice setup. Congratulations.
Thanks man, a lot of it was just lucky - spotting them as they went for sale locally - then trading up to keep from spending too much or having too much in the house to get WAF.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #17,532 of 19,139
i'm thinking it's time for a turntable to hook up to the receiver(s) i have, any suggestions out there for a good, first vintage table ? i haven't had a turntable since the 80's !
thanks

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #17,533 of 19,139
Well, there are a ZILLION vintage turntable options, and many of them good. What brand receiver do you have? And approx how much would you like to spend? If you work at it you can get a quite good vintage TT for $100, and a great one for $500. But in either case the condition of the needle in the cartridge that’s included will be important - and in many/most cases when buying a used vintage TT the needle / cartrdige will need replacing. Some cartridges have a replaceable needle/stylus, but many do not.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #17,534 of 19,139
Not to detail the previous question, but a side to it, I'm also looking for a vintage, hopefully wood cased(if not I can build one) tt to go alongside my pioneer sx1010. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Let's say 200-500$

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #17,535 of 19,139
Well, there are a ZILLION vintage turntable options, and many of them good. What brand receiver do you have? And approx how much would you like to spend? If you work at it you can get a quite good vintage TT for $100, and a great one for $500. But in either case the condition of the needle in the cartridge that’s included will be important - and in many/most cases when buying a used vintage TT the needle / cartrdige will need replacing. Some cartridges have a replaceable needle/stylus, but many do not.

actually, I had forgotten that i briefly had a dual 1228( I think, it had a United Audio base (someone gave me) and I had it tuned up, and a grado cartridge installed, that was in the mid 90's. I ended up selling because i just didn't use it much. I sure wish I would have held on to it.
I have a Pioneer sx580, and an H/K 330c, and Boston HD8 speakers.
Budget wise, I'm hoping $100-$200 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back