Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #17,536 of 19,142
Not to detail the previous question, but a side to it, I'm also looking for a vintage, hopefully wood cased(if not I can build one) tt to go alongside my pioneer sx1010. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Let's say 200-500$

So the Pioneer PL-530, -550, -570, and -71 would all be great choices for you.

actually, I had forgotten that i briefly had a dual 1228( I think, it had a United Audio base (someone gave me) and I had it tuned up, and a grado cartridge installed, that was in the mid 90's. I ended up selling because i just didn't use it much. I sure wish I would have held on to it.
I have a Pioneer sx580, and an H/K 330c, and Boston HD8 speakers.
Budget wise, I'm hoping $100-$200 .

If you could get one of the above for that price that would be awesome. Otherwise any of the non-wood cased vintage Pioneer direct drive decks other the 560 would be good. I’d avoid the Pioneer belt drive decks.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #17,537 of 19,142

If you could get one of the above for that price that would be awesome. Otherwise any of the non-wood cased vintage Pioneer direct drive decks other the 560 would be good. I’d avoid the Pioneer belt drive decks.

I'd been looking at some of those pioneer decks, thanks !

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #17,538 of 19,142
Update of sorts................just installed a completely restored Spec 1 preamp in the rack yesterday. My original Spec 1 was having some "issues"...........phono stage would come in and out, tone board definitely needed some attention and had balance issues. Was pretty sure it was the Spec 1 since the Spec 2 amp was gone through a while back so took the plunge and bought the restored unit. What a difference using any of the sources feeding it - phono plays like it should (have a vintage Pioneer PL-S50 turntable) now and all issues are gone. Going to have the original refurbed and either sell it or put it in one of my other 7 systems. By the way, got the Spec 1 from Hudson Valley HiFi in upstate NY (www.hudsonvalleyhifi.com) - shipped it out here to Oregon with no issues - packed perfectly and arrived in pristine condition. Check out their website - they do a lot of restorations.

Pioneer Spec rack March 2018.jpg

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #17,539 of 19,142

Awesome thanks!

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #17,540 of 19,142
Update of sorts................just installed a completely restored Spec 1 preamp in the rack yesterday. My original Spec 1 was having some "issues"...........phono stage would come in and out, tone board definitely needed some attention and had balance issues. Was pretty sure it was the Spec 1 since the Spec 2 amp was gone through a while back so took the plunge and bought the restored unit. What a difference using any of the sources feeding it - phono plays like it should (have a vintage Pioneer PL-S50 turntable) now and all issues are gone. Going to have the original refurbed and either sell it or put it in one of my other 7 systems. By the way, got the Spec 1 from Hudson Valley HiFi in upstate NY (www.hudsonvalleyhifi.com) - shipped it out here to Oregon with no issues - packed perfectly and arrived in pristine condition. Check out their website - they do a lot of restorations.

That's it, we need an Oregon meet!

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #17,541 of 19,142
i'm thinking it's time for a turntable to hook up to the receiver(s) i have, any suggestions out there for a good, first vintage table ? i haven't had a turntable since the 80's !
thanks

In the still affordable class are the late 70's to mid 80's direct drive Technics (e.g. SL-D3; see:https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-d3.shtml) with classic/standard 1/2" cartridge mounts. Technics belt drives of this same type and from era (e.g. SL-B-2; see:https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-d3.shtml ) are also decent. Almost all are either automatic or semi-automatic. This is a cartridge saver when real life interrupts you listening sessions. If you get one, be sure to pick up the very affordable cartridge alignment tool--see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1XK5Z6

Don't neglect the cartridge/stylus you pair with it.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #17,542 of 19,142
A vintage gear/headphone meet would be amazing. Tough due to weight of items, but, I would definitely be up to drive my sx1010 somewhere within a reasonabnle distance. At some point if there's a canjam in portland I'll drag it and some hps up. People seriously doubt vintage gear, it would be fun to see others try it out.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #17,543 of 19,142
ADAFE1E4-E5D1-4BC4-9334-EE2F5222ABE0.jpeg Pontus IC-300A
What did I buy for $13 at Goodwill today? There’s almost nothing on the web about this unit! Seems like the company Pontus is a Korean manufacturer. Amp is from 1979. I think it does 50W/ch based on the front plate meter. I’m most interested in the headphone out, but I’m nervous to plug anything in there yet! Anyone with some insight?

Attachments

• 9E8756D0-26D8-4286-9B1B-931B0F1074A2.jpeg
    9E8756D0-26D8-4286-9B1B-931B0F1074A2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #17,544 of 19,142
No pic posted. Think you have to have 30 posts to be able to post so you're close...............

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #17,546 of 19,142
Pontus IC-300A
What did I buy for $13 at Goodwill today? There’s almost nothing on the web about this unit! Seems like the company Pontus is a Korean manufacturer. Amp is from 1979. I think it does 50W/ch based on the front plate meter. I’m most interested in the headphone out, but I’m nervous to plug anything in there yet! Anyone with some insight?

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #17,547 of 19,142
Turn it down all the way, plug in an inexpensive pair of headphones and a source then gradually raise the volume with out the headphones on your head. If all sounds good, bingo! As with any unknown thing, be cautious.

At least that is how I have done it with each of my vintage receiver purchases.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #17,548 of 19,142
The only thing I have right now are IEMs... I have ZMF Eikons en route though. From what I remember, older headphone outputs sometimes put out the same power as the speaker terminals. I bet I could find an old pair of IEMs I don’t care about just to see if the HP out is functional.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #17,549 of 19,142
The only thing I have right now are IEMs... I have ZMF Eikons en route though. From what I remember, older headphone outputs sometimes put out the same power as the speaker terminals. I bet I could find an old pair of IEMs I don’t care about just to see if the HP out is functional.

Do not use IEM's unless they are expendable. They are made for low power battery powered portable devices.

Borrow a pair of cheap head phones rated at least 150 Ohms or higher--then start from 0 volume level.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #17,550 of 19,142

The HP jack of old receivers typically have a set of resistors in-line,so while it is much more power than modern gear,its still not going to be the same 100% flow of amping that the speakers get.

The advice on IEMs is spot on...dont do it unless theyre disposable.My experience has been anything 250 ohms and above work great with the old stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back