Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #13,156 of 19,136
  My Marantz 2220 headphone out seems to be gettng a louder background noise. Its never had a black background like a modern headphone amp. But the white noise that is there, Becomes more noticable as time goes on.
Is this to be expected? Anything practical I can do to reduce the noise? I did inspect the capacitors and they all look fine to the eye. 

I have a Sherwood S-7200 with this problem - in my case some transistors are on the way out and have become noisy.  Could be the case with yours also.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #13,157 of 19,136
Yeah, and that would be much more of a crapshoot...there was some REALLY bad solid state in the 70's, man...really bad. Whereas there were a lot of great stereo tube integrateds made.

One notable exception to the above is the Dynaco SCA-50. Pretty decent sounding SS integrated from the 70's, and highly moddable.

Those old dynas were nice pieces. I used to have a sca 35 dyna tube integrated amp. The amp was reworked with modern parts at the time and had better caps and wiring in spots. The unit had some wiring that bypassed some of the controls . It was a pretty decent sounding piece that was surprising heavy for only a 17 watt per channel unit . I loved taking it over to peoples houses and have it blow away quite a few of the  new receivers of the day . Some were pretty powerful receivers too  . I used to refer my modded  dynaco sca 35 as a pocket battleship . I miss it now that I think about it . Unfortunately I lent it to some one that I met going to night   school back then and when I tried to get it  back that person had moved away and I never got it back . I guess I was to trusting of who I lent it to. Oh well I learned a valuable lesson about people back then . Just the same I did miss the amp   .

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #13,158 of 19,136
Thanks for the help guys. Last night I opened it up and cleaned off everything and replaced the dead light bulbs, now it looks good as new! If I could describe the sound in one word I would say it's powerful. The soundstage is huge and it really seems to take command of the music. The only bad thing is that the bass is a bit loose in some bass heavy tracks. But for rock and classical music it beats my LD MKII in most areas. It's hard to believe something made in 1978 could sound so good. Also hard to believe that somebody would throw out an amp like this one!

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #13,159 of 19,136
Thanks for the help guys. Last night I opened it up and cleaned off everything and replaced the dead light bulbs, now it looks good as new! If I could describe the sound in one word I would say it's powerful. The soundstage is huge and it really seems to take command of the music. The only bad thing is that the bass is a bit loose in some bass heavy tracks. But for rock and classical music it beats my LD MKII in most areas. It's hard to believe something made in 1978 could sound so good. Also hard to believe that somebody would throw out an amp like this one!

Welcome to the Vintage amp thread ForShure.  Here's a link that should reassure you about your Concept 2.5; it appears to be highly regarded by quite a lot of audiophiles.

http://lancaster.es.craigslist.org/ele/4595516191.html

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #13,160 of 19,136

The photograph is from Google Images / I was not able to transfer the image of my purchase from ebay.

Just bought this baby, Marantz 2238B, fully serviced, 30 Day Warranty,from Investments Audio, Portland OR, (ebay.ca) w/ delivery & customs it totals : $640 CDN.  I wanted one & I got it.  It's not the 2270B but it will do.  I read the reviews & watched a few reviews on youtube & I know in order to get anything close, by today's standards, to what this amp will sound like, I'd have to spend at least $2000.00+  

The caption at top of page : Marantz 2238B- Professionally Serviced- LED Re-lamp- 30 Day Warranty- Clean! I will post my impressions when I receive it & listen to it also.  This is my last purchase. (Nobody laugh … I can hear you snickering LugBug … I mean it, I'm dead serious … if not I'll just be dead = the missus 
eek.gif
)

I can't download the photograph from ebay, the system keeps rejecting it.  But it is in pristine condition.  I'll keep trying to get the pictures.

No sniggering here buddy :wink: I think this could be a nice compliment to your neutral Fisher. I owned the 2216B and thought the sound was very good. It was warm but also had balance compared to my earlier 2220. Based on this I would probably always go for a 'B' model. Also as Skylab says your headphones should be a good match, I know from experience that the K701/2 work excellent with vintage amps especially warmer tilted ones. They seem to have a kind of planar-esque resistance to impedance curves and they really appreciate the power!  

Here is my old friend on the bottom 

Plus as always this hobby is subjective and one man's poison is another mans poopoo (just made that one up :D). I found my personal preference with Sansui and then NAD after trying many different makes and models. But I kept my Marantz a long time as I kept going back to it, but in the end it just didn't have the smoothness that I was after.

But I must explain why I appreciate smoothness...

My set up over the last couple of years has been based around the HD800. The most unforgiving headphone out-there as I'm sure you know. But I absolutely love it! It's pretty much perfect for my wants and music taste. So my rigs have been built around it. Some have worked, some haven't. But this is how I have come to a kind of happy place with vintage NAD. For me they seem to have that Sansui liquidy goodness but with less distortion and blacker background - I just wish they looked like 70's Marantz!!    

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #13,161 of 19,136
"one man's poison is another mans poopoo" -LugBug1 (2014)
Def. : ??????????????? - Bartlett's Quotations

Thanks LugBug1; you're absolutely right, it is subjective.  There's another reason I bought the 2238B : it was part of the first "good/real" stereo I bought back in '79 (I was 24).  I bought the 2238B, a Philipps belt drive turntable & Castle speakers (made in England, back then anyways). So it was also for sentimental reasons.  As SpeakerBox pointed out, I can always sell it if I don't like it but I think I'll keep it for a while.  

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #13,162 of 19,136
Def. : ??????????????? - Webster's Collegiate

Thanks LugBug1; you're absolutely right, it is subjective.  There's another reason I bought the 2238B : it was part of the first "good/real" stereo I bought back in '79 (I was 24).  I bought the 2238B, a Philipps belt drive turntable & Castle speakers (made in England, back then anyways). So it was also for sentimental reasons.  As SpeakerBox pointed out, I can always sell it if I don't like it but I think I'll keep it for a while.  

A lot to be said for your first system.  I had a HK 330A with Audio Analyst speakers, not that great by vintage standards, but I keep finding myself wanting to buy one! 
confused.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #13,164 of 19,136

Def. : ??????????????? - Webster's Collegiate

A lot to be said for your first system.  I had a HK 330A with Audio Analyst speakers, not that great by vintage standards, but I keep finding myself wanting to buy one! 
confused.gif

I guess for audiophile's it's like your first true love, you never forget her. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #13,165 of 19,136
  I guess for audiophile's it's like your first true love, you never forget her. 
rolleyes.gif

True! Lucky for me, I still have my old Marantz 2220B I bought when I graduated high school. I was waffling recently with trading up to a bigger vintage model, but think I'll keep it and get it refurb/recapped. I admit to having an emotional attachment to it.

I got a line on a Technics SL-2000, says mint in box for $240. What do you think of this unit and price.? Seller is with AK.  On the other hand, my DH suggests instead getting a modern TT with USB and Analog (Audio Technica AT-LP-220). Thoughts please?
 I'm mostly going to be listening through some Pioneer bookshelf speakers one of the folks here recommended; haven't bought them yet..

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #13,166 of 19,136
Wish I could help you Gardyloo but I don't know anything about that particular model.  I would recommend you go with what you believe will be most enjoyable for you in the long run. Sorry I can't be of any more help.  Maybe someone on this thread reading your post might be able to help you more.  Good luck to you man. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #13,168 of 19,136
Anybody familiar with the Kenwood KA 5500?  I have been looking around for one locally but I have had no success.  There are some positive things written about it on the net but I would like to know if anybody has heard that model and can compare it to the general Sansui, Marantz or Pioneer sound.  I need something a bit smaller for my desk and was thinking of getting a modern headphone amp to replace my Sansui amp but if I can find this Kenwood unit it should do the trick.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13,169 of 19,136
I own a KA-5700. Had two of them and traded one I on my Pioneer SA-9900.

It was my first vintage amp and sold me on the use of vintage for headphones. Has the meters and a very nice sound.

I'm the wrong person to describe the sound compared to other brands. I'll just say I will always keep this Kenwood.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #13,170 of 19,136
Between the marantz 1152dc and the yamaha ca 1010 which one have the best headphone section.  What should I look for in vintage gear to let me know that its will be great with headphone.  Would using the yamaha ca 1010 in class A mode help speaker and headphone at all?  Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back