Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #13,141 of 19,143
Gratz Groucho! I really like Marantz wooden housings, nice thickness and finish.

Thanks .Sup 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #13,142 of 19,143
For what it is worth, I have had a 2215, 2220B, two or three 2230s, and now a 2270 and have not been much impressed by any of them.  IMHO, just not a very clean sound.  Of all the aforementioned the 2215 sounded the best to me.  I will be selling the 2270 sometime soon and holding on to my similarly powered Sherwood S-8900A (60WPC) if that tells you anything.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #13,143 of 19,143
  For what it is worth, I have had a 2215, 2220B, two or three 2230s, and now a 2270 and have not been much impressed by any of them.  IMHO, just not a very clean sound.  Of all the aforementioned the 2215 sounded the best to me.  I will be selling the 2270 sometime soon and holding on to my similarly powered Sherwood S-8900A (60WPC) if that tells you anything.

Well SpeakerBox, I hope I like the one I bought.  It would be a downer if I don't.  One of the reviews I've read about the 2238B says that it does have a "clean, clear" sound.  I'll have to wait and find out.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #13,144 of 19,143
Sorry - I had not seen the post saying you had made the purchase when I wrote down my thoughts on this.  The good news is two fold:

1.) I have not heard the one you bought and it may end up being awesome, and
2.) They tend to hold their value so if you decide to sell you should be able to get your money back.

Good luck Old Groucho!

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #13,146 of 19,143
The Marantz sound from that era is warm. If you like a brighter sound, the Marantz isn't the right choice. But I thought the 2275 and 2285 I had sounded excellent. In the end I am more of a Pionner guy in terms of sound, but that doesn't take away from the Marantzes, which I think are excellent.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #13,147 of 19,143
The Marantz sound from that era is warm. If you like a brighter sound, the Marantz isn't the right choice. But I thought the 2275 and 2285 I had sounded excellent. In the end I am more of a Pionner guy in terms of sound, but that doesn't take away from the Marantzes, which I think are excellent.

Thanks Skylab.  I bought the 2238B because I have a pair of K702 & SRH940 & I'm thinking they'll complement each other that way.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #13,148 of 19,143

Error.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #13,149 of 19,143
Thanks Skylab.  I bought the 2238B because I have a pair of K702 & SRH940 & I'm thinking they'll complement each other that way.

Should be a good sonic match for those two headphones.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #13,150 of 19,143
  Sorry - I had not seen the post saying you had made the purchase when I wrote down my thoughts on this.  The good news is two fold:

1.) I have not heard the one you bought and it may end up being awesome, and
2.) They tend to hold their value so if you decide to sell you should be able to get your money back.

Good luck Old Groucho!

Thanks SpeakerBox. No worries.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,151 of 19,143
My Marantz 2220 headphone out seems to be gettng a louder background noise. Its never had a black background like a modern headphone amp. But the white noise that is there, Becomes more noticable as time goes on.
Is this to be expected? Anything practical I can do to reduce the noise? I did inspect the capacitors and they all look fine to the eye. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,152 of 19,143
Hey, I'm new to vintage recievers but I've always enjoyed how they look and now I own one myself. Today when I was driving to work I stopped and rescued this Concept 2.5 from a pile of garbage at the curb. Can any of you guys tell me more about it and if it is a nice reciever? Google isn't proving too helpful this time.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #13,153 of 19,143
  Hey, I'm new to vintage recievers but I've always enjoyed how they look and now I own one myself. Today when I was driving to work I stopped and rescued this Concept 2.5 from a pile of garbage at the curb. Can any of you guys tell me more about it and if it is a nice reciever? Google isn't proving too helpful this time.

Check out audiokarma.org The first thread I read about it seemed pretty positive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #13,154 of 19,143
Huh, I was not aware on the older receivers that if you're using tape out to send audio to powered speakers, that even while the receiver is off it sends the signal through.  At some point I'll research some speakers to go with this beauty, but for now I'm so headphone oriented in my listening here that my current comp speakers are fine.  BTW, I haven't found a headphone yet that I dislike with this receiver, which most likely means I'm really not that picky, but hey, it's certainly a good thing instead of bad.

Hell, even the Sony MA100 sounds tolerable.  And the only reason I paid the $9 for those is they're the only things I've tried that do not audibly show the background noise when plugged into my old GBA Micro when I feel like playing that tiny little wonder.  Those old games look great on such a small screen, but the speaker in there is...  well...  nobody ever expected good thinsgs.  But alas I'm rambling, and wondering how Aiwa Shellz sound on the GBA...  don't mind me, I'm in a random state.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #13,155 of 19,143

I am not familiar with the 2.5 model but recently I have joined the vintage receiver brotherhood . I bought a recapped concept 16.5 receiver from a stereo store that sold used equipment .I was unfamiliar with the concept brand but after having the 16.5 for a bit and after having broken it in for about a month I am totally blown away by its performance as a headphone amp . So if it is anything like a chip off the old block it is definitely worth checking out having it restored .
   When I was checking he 16.5 out on the net I was surprised about what I read about the concept brand equipment . It has certainly been proven to me based on what my recapped receiver sounds like these days .
   Do some internet research and check out some comments about their receivers . I think I saw some mention of the 2.5 in head-fi threads .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back