Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #13,126 of 19,143
Well, I picked up my new old Onkyo A-8820, maybe not really vintage being only about 10 years old, but still, I think it's a nice find, and I think that for 60 euros, it might be the best value for money audio item I ever bought in my life.
Amp is not in perfect condition visually, there are a couple of scratches on the volume knob and front panel, but nothing major and I don't really care.

The entire front panel is brushed aluminium, two biggest knobs are aluminium as well, the rest are plastic, but look and kinda feel metallic. All knobs have a solid feel to them, not fiddly at all, especially the input selector which has wonderful solidity to it, and a very mechanical "click" when you turn it. Excellent.

The rest of the amp is typical black metal and it's in absolutely perfect condition with no scratches, same goes for the rear. Also worth mentioning, the amp is made in Japan, which is nice to see on a Japanese product.

What I like about the amp is it's appearance. I don't know if it shows on pictures, but it's not exactly silver, it's a slightly champagne color, it actually matches the T1's color scheme perfectly. The rings around the knobs on the amp are almost exact same as the ring around the grill on the T1.

Functionally, the amp is in perfect working order except for one minor thing. Sometimes, when I power it up, the relay that switches on the "A" speaker output doesn't work properly, so only the right speaker works. It's not a big deal since all I have to do is turn the knob to off and then back to A a couple of times, and then it works. Happened a few times, it's fine as long as it works, I hope the left channel wont cut out permanently. But ok, there's still the "B" set of speaker outputs, so I'm safe.

As far as the sound goes, I haven't listened to it too much yet, so I'll keep away from any final conclusions. However, what I can say now is that all the basics are good. The headphone output is completely silent up to about 90% on the knob, with both T1's and any of the 32 ohm headphones I've tried, this is actually better than my M1HPAP, which does hiss quite obviously at above 70%. It has plenty of power, it gets too loud up at around 10 o'clock on the knob with T1's, and need's just a tad more turning for lower impedance headphones. It's perfectly balanced in terms of channel volumes, so no annoying channel imbalances like on most headphone amps, not even on lowest volume settings.
In terms of sound quality, it seems pretty good. I don't really hear a huge difference between it and the Musical Fidelity M1HPAP, which cost me 11 times more.  A-8820 seems pretty warm in it's signature, it has what I'd consider a  slightly mellow sound (think of HD650's), with a slightly softer and less powerful bass than the M1.  So with T1's it does seem a tiny bit bass light, but with something like Sennheiser HD380Pro's, it's perfect. Thankfully, it has bass and treble knobs, which do a really nice job of adjusting the tone, without distorting or making the sound messy.  I like T1's with the bass setting on 3 and treble on about 1,5. It gives it about the same amount of punch as the M1.  Other than that, bass and treble extend very well, the overall sound resolution, clarity, soundstage, separation, detail, etc. is very close to that  of M1.  Simply put, nothing is missing from the T1's sound when using them with the Onkyo, nothing that suggests that they might be underpowered, or plugged into a bad amp.  Sound does seem a bit more effortless and airy on the M1, which is to expect. It just "flows" out of the headphones more easily and seems a bit more expansive in terms of soundstage, and details pop out a bit more obviously, but again, for 60 €, this Onkyo pretty much wipes the floor with anything I've ever heard anywhere near it's price. Considering that for  the  same money I could buy a pair of used bookshelf speakers, and for half as much a decent used CD player, it's amazing how for 150 dollars nowadays you can build yourself a very nice sounding system.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #13,127 of 19,143
Very nice!  Onkyo has made some excellent stuff over the years.  Had a T-4055 Tuner for a while that I loved and never should have sold.  My guess is that since one side of your relay always seems to work the issue is minor and you just need a new relay.  They do wear out over time.  Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #13,128 of 19,143
  Very nice!  Onkyo has made some excellent stuff over the years.  Had a T-4055 Tuner for a while that I loved and never should have sold.  My guess is that since one side of your relay always seems to work the issue is minor and you just need a new relay.  They do wear out over time.  Enjoy!

The guy I got  it from said the reason for relay issues are the fact that amp was unused for almost 4 years, and should go away after some use. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but as you said, worst case scenario is I'll need to replace it, which is no big deal.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #13,129 of 19,143
Well, been listening to a broadcast of Lollapalooza using the SX737 starting last night.  Without even touching the bass knob, just flipping the loudness switch, it managed to get the HE-400 to sound absolutely thunderous.  Of course broadcasting like that is going to have some seriously bass heavy balancing going on for the crowds, but I've never heard the 400 rumble like that.  It almost made me feel like I was there when I closed my eyes.  Its great to know that I can really count on this receiver to be up to the task.  Earlier today I decided to see how it sounded outputting to my SR-40, an ancient headphone I know, but I found this one in rather fantastic condition, still had the box too.  I have to push the volume up a little higher than the HD700 or 400 needs, but I noticed it's actually quite more forgiving than either of those headphones, especially seeing that the broadcast of the Kinks hasn't been the easiest to understand.  It's my first time really enjoying this headphone, it didn't ever sound right on my HK3480.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #13,130 of 19,143
  Well, been listening to a broadcast of Lollapalooza using the SX737 starting last night.  Without even touching the bass knob, just flipping the loudness switch, it managed to get the HE-400 to sound absolutely thunderous.  Of course broadcasting like that is going to have some seriously bass heavy balancing going on for the crowds, but I've never heard the 400 rumble like that.  It almost made me feel like I was there when I closed my eyes.  Its great to know that I can really count on this receiver to be up to the task.  Earlier today I decided to see how it sounded outputting to my SR-40, an ancient headphone I know, but I found this one in rather fantastic condition, still had the box too.  I have to push the volume up a little higher than the HD700 or 400 needs, but I noticed it's actually quite more forgiving than either of those headphones, especially seeing that the broadcast of the Kinks hasn't been the easiest to understand.  It's my first time really enjoying this headphone, it didn't ever sound right on my HK3480.

+1, another victory for vintage amps.  Happy for you. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #13,131 of 19,143
Ok fellow Vintage Receivers Head-fiers, I need your help.  There's a gorgeous Marantz 2285B for sale & the amp is in pristine working & aesthetic shape.  It has been cleaned, capped & all the bulbs are working. 

I'm wondering if any of you know anything about the general sound of this specific model.

1-) Is it transient, detailed and is the soundstage good ?  

2-) Also, my HP collection consists of the HD6xxs, SRH990 & K702.  Would these have good symmetry w/this Marantz amp ?

3-) One more question (I've researched this on the internet but have not found any answer) : every Marantz receiver has a "mono" push button next to the "filter" push button; is this mono button for the AM radio only or does it function &/or improve the sound if one listens to mono CDs for example ?  I hope I wrote this in a clear manner.

I need help & experience from those of you who may have experience with this specific model.  

I just don't want to spend the kind of money it would cost to buy this amp & then regret it.

I thank you all in advance.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #13,132 of 19,143
What are they asking for it?

I had a 2285 non.-B version for quite a while and really liked it. Noticeably warm sounding but still plenty detailed and eminently musical. I've read that the B version isn't as warm sounding but is nonetheless excellent.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #13,133 of 19,143
What are they asking for it?

I had a 2285 non.-B version for quite a while and really liked it. Noticeably warm sounding but still plenty detailed and eminently musical. I've read that the B version isn't as warm sounding but is nonetheless excellent.

Hi Skylab, they're asking $1,000 CDN & $50 for s&h.  Many reasons why I'm tempted : some are cheaper from the U.S. but not by much; I lose on currency exchange, for the amp, s&h + Customs fee & 15% taxes applied by CDN customs for province I live in = 
eek.gif
.  The amp has been cleaned & customized and is in perfect working condition.  

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #13,134 of 19,143
Well that certainly doesn't sound bad. It's not a screaming bargain, but if the seller is reputable, it's not unreasonable. Hopefully someone else here who has one can comment on its sound.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #13,135 of 19,143
I've never heard one, but I certainly wouldn't chuck it out of bed... If that helps :D 

Heres a lovely pic just so the folks out there know which one it is.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #13,136 of 19,143
It's absolutely beautiful no doubt about that.  When I think about forking out that kind of cash though I feel the pinch of my wallet.  I've had time to think about this since yesterday & I've come to the conclusion that if it were $200 cheaper I'd jump at the chance but 1K is a bit steep for me at the moment.  It is beautiful though ….
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #13,137 of 19,143
  It's absolutely beautiful no doubt about that.  When I think about forking out that kind of cash though I feel the pinch of my wallet.  I've had time to think about this since yesterday & I've come to the conclusion that if it were $200 cheaper I'd jump at the chance but 1K is a bit steep for me at the moment.  It is beautiful though ….
frown.gif

Well I have to admire your restraint and sensibility! 

The Marantz are beautiful machines and are always sought after, but with this comes a high price. I personally think you can get much better SQ from other makes such as Pioneer and Sansui for far less money. This is based on my experience with lower to mid end models and of course my personal preference. Most peeps buy a Marantz first and are blown away with the sound - because vintage amps sound bloody good! But its not until they buy other models that the Marantz start collecting dust.  

Having said that, everyone should own a Marantz. I would keep your eye out for more of a bargain just incase you aren't blown away with the sound. After all, you already own one of the best vintage amps out there.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #13,138 of 19,143

frown.gif

Having said that, everyone should own a Marantz. I would keep your eye out for more of a bargain just incase you aren't blown away with the sound. After all, you already own one of the best vintage amps out there.

Thanks for the suggestion LugBug.  I'm thinking about scaling down to ie. 2238b as opposed to the 2285.  There is one available for a modest price but I have to bid on it & I'm going to wait & see how that goes (still a couple of days left on the bidding).  As you stated I already have a very good vintage amp.  Sometimes I really get frustrated at having discovered Head-fi & think of what I've become since (I'M NOT OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE, OK !!!!!!!). It's probably my imagination but I swear my wallet has started hiding from me 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #13,139 of 19,143

The photograph is from Google Images / I was not able to transfer the image of my purchase from ebay.

Just bought this baby, Marantz 2238B, fully serviced, 30 Day Warranty,from Investments Audio, Portland OR, (ebay.ca) w/ delivery & customs it totals : $640 CDN.  I wanted one & I got it.  It's not the 2270B but it will do.  I read the reviews & watched a few reviews on youtube & I know in order to get anything close, by today's standards, to what this amp will sound like, I'd have to spend at least $2000.00+  

The caption at top of page : Marantz 2238B- Professionally Serviced- LED Re-lamp- 30 Day Warranty- Clean! I will post my impressions when I receive it & listen to it also.  This is my last purchase. (Nobody laugh … I can hear you snickering LugBug … I mean it, I'm dead serious … if not I'll just be dead = the missus 
eek.gif
)

I can't download the photograph from ebay, the system keeps rejecting it.  But it is in pristine condition.  I'll keep trying to get the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back