Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #11,386 of 19,142
Well, as I was trying to calm myself down, this arrived in the mail. Sony STR-6120. I've been hunting for one and jumped on this non/semi-working unit when it was offered.

It has some sort of gremlin that causes it to blow the output protection fuse. That relegated it to sitting on a shelf for about 40 years. Just as an educated guess, I think it might have something to do with the top cover being installed backwards and cutting off airflow to the outputs. I can hope...

Edit:
The Mrs. has started to notice how many vintage receivers/amps are in the house (6 as of now). I might have to do some picking and choosing again soon.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #11,387 of 19,142
   I have fallen in love with this little Marantz 2226B. I took her all apart earlier and cleaned all the controls with contact cleaner and cleaned all the grime inside, replaced the fuses etc. Cleaning the Potentiometers was a real joy! just simply take off the bottom cover and they are all exposed and easy to get cleaner into each one!!! Unlike my four other marantz where you really need to get in there to get it in or almost impossible to get into the middle ones unless you take the board out.

This amp goes so well with my HE-500's it easily bests my other's with this headphone. Now all I need to do is replace the Stereo light and put LED's in. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #11,388 of 19,142
Sounds like some fun times!
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #11,389 of 19,142
  Well, as I was trying to calm myself down, this arrived in the mail. Sony STR-6120. I've been hunting for one and jumped on this non/semi-working unit when it was offered.

It has some sort of gremlin that causes it to blow the output protection fuse. That relegated it to sitting on a shelf for about 40 years. Just as an educated guess, I think it might have something to do with the top cover being installed backwards and cutting off airflow to the outputs. I can hope...

Edit:
The Mrs. has started to notice how many vintage receivers/amps are in the house (6 as of now). I might have to do some picking and choosing again soon.

Looks like you may have got a gem there if you can find the fault. If it hasn't been used since new, it may sound as good as new! 

I have fallen in love with this little Marantz 2226B. I took her all apart earlier and cleaned all the controls with contact cleaner and cleaned all the grime inside, replaced the fuses etc. Cleaning the Potentiometers was a real joy! just simply take off the bottom cover and they are all exposed and easy to get cleaner into each one!!! Unlike my four other marantz where you really need to get in there to get it in or almost impossible to get into the middle ones unless you take the board out.

This amp goes so well with my HE-500's it easily bests my other's with this headphone. Now all I need to do is replace the Stereo light and put LED's in. 

I wish I still owned the HE500's as I had them before I got into vintage amps. They do like lots of power. Hopefully the price may come down now that hifiman have some newbies coming out and I can get some again. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #11,390 of 19,142
  Indeed the search is endless my friend. Also, don't limit yourself to one brand. I started out with a Pioneer but ended up finding my preferred sound with Sansui and NAD. Of course all brands don't sound the same, so you then have to plough through different phases (late 60's - early - mid - late 70's - early 80's) 
eek.gif
 Actually, yes just stick with Kenwoods. You'll save yourself a fortune. 
biggrin.gif

I know but you have to start somewhere, right :) I have been looking at some of the amps from Pioneer and Sansui. It really depends on what shows up on the local sites.
For now I prefer the design from mid and late 70's. After that the designs seem to get a more "futuristic" look that I'm a total fan of 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #11,391 of 19,142

I know but you have to start somewhere, right :) I have been looking at some of the amps from Pioneer and Sansui. It really depends on what shows up on the local sites.
For now I prefer the design from mid and late 70's. After that the designs seem to get a more "futuristic" look that I'm a total fan of 
rolleyes.gif

Yeah the 80's introduced sharp edges and digital displays that I'm warming to. Both the 70's and 80's designs are much better than the minimalist approach favoured these days. Really, theres not many nice looking amps out there at the moment. A few exceptions such as Mcintosh that have stayed true to their original designs for decades. But the latest Sansui's look like cheap dvd players and Marantz have never beaten their original 70's designs. Leben make beautiful amps but they are designed to look classic vintage. 

Heres my favorite looking amp from my collection - Sansui AU505 1973

and below a current Leben CS-300X  

and. finally.. The new Mcintosh MHA100. Their first headphone amplifier! (only took them 65 years)

Looks straight out of the 60's/70's. Beautiful. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #11,392 of 19,142
Wow.  Did not know Mac made a HP amp.  Very nice!  Bet it sounds awesome.  Does it beat the vintage receivers and integrated amps for HP listening? 

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #11,393 of 19,142
  Wow.  Did not know Mac made a HP amp.  Very nice!  Bet it sounds awesome.  Does it beat the vintage receivers and integrated amps for HP listening? 

Must stress that its not mine! Neither is the Leben, just in case anyone thought that. I was just showing the best of modern amps compared to my Sansui :) 

There may be a thread on here about it, not sure I haven't checked yet. Rob probably knows more about it. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #11,394 of 19,142
I think it's set for a June release. Very few have heard it. But love the design(of course :)  It's funny how both internally and aesthetically they've stayed true to form since the 70s. It' looks like a miniature version of this.

One made in 1978 and the other hasn't even come out yet.

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #11,395 of 19,142
Thanks for that moody, yeah they've certainly stayed true to form alright. They are such an original design and aesthetic - instantly recognisable. I love the fact that they still have the blue meters! 

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #11,396 of 19,142
I have a Leben CS-300 and I'm sure one reason I was originally drawn to it is the vintage styling :D

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #11,397 of 19,142

rolleyes.gif

Speaking of Pioneer, there was a SX-1250 receiver in at my local electronics surplus warehouse today.  Holy simoleons, that thing is a beast!  What looks like massive toroidal transformers, must weigh 60 pounds.  He was just posting it on eBay, said he'd had five offers on it already.  I had no idea Pioneer was that in demand!

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #11,400 of 19,142

Speaking of Pioneer, there was a SX-1250 receiver in at my local electronics surplus warehouse today.  Holy simoleons, that thing is a beast!  What looks like massive toroidal transformers, must weigh 60 pounds.  He was just posting it on eBay, said he'd had five offers on it already.  I had no idea Pioneer was that in demand!

I just ran into one at a local pawn shop.  He wants $350 for it, but it is beat up.  Wood chipped on right side, switches dirty and sticking, tuning flywheel loose, balance control snapped off, very dirty, paint chipped off heat sinks.  These are things that can be fixed and it sounds good.  And yes, a real monster.

Probably can get him down to $325, but it looks a bit like it has had a tough life, so am on the fence.

What do you guys think?  Take the plunge or walk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back