Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #11,416 of 19,143
@ moodyrn

beerchug.gif

We're dancin' at the beach... or will when I get there next hour! 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #11,420 of 19,143
  The funniest thing happened late last night. First of all, since my mcintosh restore project came out so good,  I've been regretting letting the g901 go. I only sold it in favor of my 9090db because my 9090db is flawless and has been completely restored. Well now, if I could do it over again, now that I "think" I could pull off a recapping myself, I would have kept it and sold the 9090db.

Well last night, while browsing cl, I stumbled upon the same seller I bought the g901 from who had re-listed it for sale. So I thought it must be some type of mistake so I called him. Don't know how true it is(he's really a stand up guy and I have no reason to really doubt him), but he said his brother also had a g901 also and he was selling it for him. I asked him if it looked as good as the one he had, and he said...."better because his has the original box and manual". He also told me he was about to leave for FL and won't be back until the weekend. And since our first  transaction went so well, he wouldn't sell to anyone else if I wanted it. So of course I told him YES!! But I also know there are no guarantees, but a few minutes later he did pull the listing. So hopefully soon I will be the proud new owner of another g901.....hopefully lol.

Synchronicity at work..............good for you.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #11,422 of 19,143
Thats excellent news Moody. Ok guys looks like a weekend at Moody's coming up! 

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #11,424 of 19,143

tongue_smile.gif
 Maybe we should send Mrs. Moody a cake.... soften her up a bit, before we camp out on the porch.

Excellent idea! I'll get Mrs Lugbug on to it straight away. 

(Matt its your turn to bring the sausages :D)

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #11,427 of 19,143
Matt - I would very much appreciate your impressions of your 1250.  In theory I will have one later today, and yes I will post pictures.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #11,428 of 19,143
IMO the sx1250 is every bit as good as the 1280. To my middle aged ears, I'm 45, there is a very very slight difference between the two receivers. I'm not sure that I could pick them out in a blind test. I would say that "sometimes" I can hear a slightly warmer tone to the 1250. They are both fantastic and some of the best of the era. 

The bigger difference may come down to aesthetics (black meters on the 1280) and slightly more industrial build quality (1250). And last but certainly not least, the sx1250 and it's parts are much more readily available should you find yourself needing a repair. 

But as far as differences in the ability to reproduce fine music, there really just isn't enough differences to split hairs over. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #11,429 of 19,143
  IMO the sx1250 is every bit as good as the 1280. To my middle aged ears, I'm 45, there is a very very slight difference between the two receivers. I'm not sure that I could pick them out in a blind test. I would say that "sometimes" I can hear a slightly warmer tone to the 1250. They are both fantastic and some of the best of the era. 

The bigger difference may come down to aesthetics (black meters on the 1280) and slightly more industrial build quality (1250). And last but certainly not least, the sx1250 and it's parts are much more readily available should you find yourself needing a repair. 

But as far as differences in the ability to reproduce fine music, there really just isn't enough differences to split hairs over. 

Sound and build quality are what I am after - so you have confirmed my expectations.  Thanks much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back