Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #10,876 of 19,142
  Picked this up for $150 on Wednesday.  Bench tests at 46 wpc and not a scratch on it - absolutely mint!  Got this in the hope that it would sound better than the first 2230 I had - no such luck - raspy mids and sizzle-y highs.  Very disappointing - especially when I hear so many comments on AK about this being a favorite of the 22xx series.  Oh well - won't have any trouble getting my money back (and then some).

DeOxit, followed by a recap? I've never heard a harsh Marantz before, I actually own a 2230 as of today, need to re-lamp before I can post pics. It sounds good, the noise floor is a little high, but I got it cheap enough that I'll probably try my hand at a recap. The sound is pretty smooth as-is though, even through my notoriously bright Mach Ones.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #10,878 of 19,142
I tried Deoxit and Recap on the first one - this one is very clean and does not need Deoxit - just a few bulbs out.  I think I just don't like the sound of the 2230.  I did have a 2220B at one point and it sounded much better than either 2230.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #10,879 of 19,142
  Yup. 

Am currently seriously considering a turntable by Rotel - just came up for sale locally.

Sadly the Rotel's gone.

Quest to look for a Technics or Yamaha turntable continues....

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10,880 of 19,142
I feel very very fortunate that my passion for vintage is for these old receivers and not for cars or motorcycles and such. I have finally gotten to spend a little time with the restored sx1050. It's just wonderful. It did sound quite good before but is now appreciable better. So clean, dynamic and effortlessly powerful. Wonderful with everything from the hd650 all the way to the hd800, although there is a very slight hiss. Rocking one my favorite indie pop songs right now, Float On: Modest Mouse. The 1050 is pushing this song out with authority and grace that I have not heard from any amp...ever. 

Off topic ...War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #10,881 of 19,142

From someone with no skin in the game: that was VINTAGE!
beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #10,882 of 19,142
  I feel very very fortunate that my passion for vintage is for these old receivers and not for cars or motorcycles and such. I have finally gotten to spend a little time with the restored sx1050. It's just wonderful. It did sound quite good before but is now appreciable better. So clean, dynamic and effortlessly powerful. Wonderful with everything from the hd650 all the way to the hd800, although there is a very slight hiss. Rocking one my favorite indie pop songs right now, Float On: Modest Mouse. The 1050 is pushing this song out with authority and grace that I have not heard from any amp...ever. 

Congrats! 
smiley_thumb.gif
 But what I really wanna know is... what does she think? I'm almost certain you'll want her to share in your joy. Though, to a lesser degree than your chums here. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #10,883 of 19,142
Dec 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #10,885 of 19,142
I've dipped my toes in the vintage receiver pool, and I'm happy to say I'm impressed even with a low end model. I picked up a Pioneer Sx- 434 for peanuts at a flea market, and after an amp board recap plus a transistor swap for a noisy channel I'm hooked. I'm thoroughly impressed with the sound to say the least.

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #10,886 of 19,142
There is just something about the old steel that sparks my passion. After trying most of the different brands, I know that the Pioneers do it for me. I just can't walk by one without my radar going off. It must be something about the hunt, affordability, the fact that they need TLC (which I enjoy) and how beautiful they sound with hp's (especially planar magnetic) that just gets my juices flowing. 

I love coming home with one, giving it a quick audition and then taking it completely apart for the deoxit treatment and cleaning. I'll clean the inside with a little compressed air first, then a damp rag and soft toothbrush. Then I'll pull off the front face and get to work on it...cleaning both sides of the glass. Occasionally that glass will need to be replaced which is easy to get a new piece cut. Every knob and switch gets soaked and then hand polished. Then I take Mr. Erasure to the front and back face to remove the decades of dirt and stain. 

Then I'll work on the wood cabinet. Most of the ones in good condition will come back nicely with Howard Restore and Feed and Wax (also works well with veneer speakers btw). Occasionally some will need a light sanding with new stain. On a rare occasion I'll completely rebuild the cabinet with a nice hardwood. This takes a lot of time since I have to work from  my uncles to do the project (I don't have the tools). 

Then occasionally if needed I'll refurbish the top black grate. Often they just need to be cleaned. But then some will need to be sand blasted and repainted (back to my uncles for the sand blast projects). 

The look and sound of the old Pioneers just hits the sweet spot for me. Maybe it's because I owned an sx650 as a teenager and that's where my real love affair with music started and the Pioneers started. 

The only vintage piece on my radar that would knock me off the 1050 and 1280 that I have now is the fisher 500c. I was an inch away from owning one about six months ago but the deal fell through. Now I have another on the hook. We'll see how that one turns out. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #10,887 of 19,142
Wow I certainly understand that feeling!!! That's cool about your restored 1050, as well. The SX x50 and x80 Pioneer receivers sound especially awesome when restored :D

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #10,888 of 19,142
At some point, I'll venture into better speakers which will take full advantage of the Pioneers that I own. Right now it's my restored large Advents. I did the refinish on the cabinets and had a professional refoam and replace the voice coils. But I do have some nicer vintage speakers on my "seek and recover" list. One day...

Dec 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #10,889 of 19,142
  I think I'm going to try my hand at recapping my 2230. Anyone had experience with an ebay recap kit? I was looking into this one, price seems reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350745813558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

IMHO those kits are not worth the money.  I buy quality parts from Digikey instead, which may cost more money overall but will be better parts (e.g. Nichicon gold tunes)  They have the parts lists available on AK for the 2230.  That said a full recap of my previous 2230 did not yield the results I was looking for.  It sounded better - but not good enough for me so I sold it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back