Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #9,331 of 19,145
Quote:
I just closed a deal on a fully restored Sansui model 8. I passed on it a few times but kept coming back to it because the price was just too good to pass up on. I should be able to pick it up maybe Sunday when of course I will post some pics. 

Nice.  Will be interested in hearing how it compares to your other receivers.

Fully restored means fully recapped?

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #9,333 of 19,145
Quote:
Silent, your crazier than me!  In an absolutely AWESOME way!  If your ever in the North East hit me up!  I'd feel privaleged to be crazy with you!

beerchug.gif

I relocated back to my former city. So, I'm hotel side while I look for a place to rent. And being an audio lover means bringing audio gear all up in here to get comfy! 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #9,334 of 19,145
Quote:
If you only had $400 would you use it:

1. restore your Scott 299b tube amp which you refuse to use until restored.  (worth saying i play vinyl, have klipsch cornwalls, and this amp has no headphone out)

2. purchase a cosmetically B+/A Kenwood Supreme 600 that is non-functioning (needs basic restore service).

Im so confused.

I would fix the Scott, unless you don't mind waiting and spending the $ to fix both later.  And unless you know why it's non-functioning, The 600 could need fairly costly repair on top of the $400 you'd spend to get it.  

Having a collection of non-working gear doesn't really seem the right way to go unless you can fix them yourself.  Paying someone to fix/restore can become costly.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #9,335 of 19,145
Quote:
I know before the big V-FET B-1 warms up, I set the volume past 12:00 once I hear that familiar 'ping' from the heat sink about an hour in I have to dial it back below 12:00 the sound gets stronger as the amplifier warms up.
Generally I'm running it at half volume most of the time on the Yamaha preamp.

One more thing regarding sound stage, see that you have the tweeters on your mirrored Yam speakers oriented to the outside, like Yamaha engineers recommend, you may find more spacious sound.
Monitors are sometimes positioned on the side too, experiment with your room which I hope is not grandiose.
My findings correlate with the likewise mirrored JBL 112 speaker instruction manual: speakers positioned LESS than 10 feet apart tweeters face outboard, speakers MORE than 10 feet apart tweeters face inboard.

You really should clean those attenuator dials, they do affect volume and sound quality.

im barely past 9:00 with mine & i have them about 5-6ft apart with tweeters facing outboard as marked at the back. for now, my room isnt too much to speak off but i will be moving at the end of Sept when i should have more space to play with. in due course, i will definitely pull out the mid/high attenuators & soak em in deoxit. thxs for all the tips.

on another subject, i will be lugging all 80lbs of amp to audition a pair of NHT 3.3 this sunday. a local guys selling it & i mite pick em up if the sound warrants it & be done with all this upgrading shyte. lol! missus's getting impatient with all my tweaking.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #9,336 of 19,145
whats the clinical definition for the individual that consistently carries 50lb vintage receiver/amps outside

Roadie with Attitude.

Never hurts to get some help when dealing with heavy gear.

im barely past 9:00 with mine & i have them about 5-6ft

Get them off the ground, about 18 inches, mine are just under 10 feet apart, I sit eight feet away and yep, half volume is really filling the space with sound...

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9,337 of 19,145
Well,thats defintely not the kind of help Im looking for.  Now if you said the "Kate Upton Vintage Electronic Moving Company" ................ definitely!

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #9,338 of 19,145
im barely past 9:00 with mine & i have them about 5-6ft apart with tweeters facing outboard as marked at the back. for now, my room isnt too much to speak off but i will be moving at the end of Sept when i should have more space to play with. in due course, i will definitely pull out the mid/high attenuators & soak em in deoxit. thxs for all the tips.

on another subject, i will be lugging all 80lbs of amp to audition a pair of NHT 3.3 this sunday. a local guys selling it & i mite pick em up if the sound warrants it & be done with all this upgrading shyte. lol! missus's getting impatient with all my tweaking.
Scottie from my past research the 3.3 is highly regarded as well as the super zero with a sub. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #9,339 of 19,145
I just closed a deal on a fully restored Sansui model 8. I passed on it a few times but kept coming back to it because the price was just too good to pass up on. I should be able to pick it up maybe Sunday when of course I will post some pics. 

Beautiful!! The 8 is one of my favourite Sansuis of all time - often called 'the engineer's receiver' due to the quality of the 8 from a industrial design and build quality perspective.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #9,340 of 19,145
my Marantz 4400 is AMAZING! it brings out BASS in AKG K702 like I have never heard them produce before, sound's dance around in your head like it's 3D, it's super cool. I would not mind getting a new faceplate for it (it's kinda beat up...) other than that its great except the capacitors on the PSB, I can't really tell if it's 'glue' or they decided to defy gravity and leak all over. I am afraid to attach speakers to it (I took a risk with my K702's) because there seems to be something happening in the right channel. The scope is green, I was hoping for blue but it's ok. The DOLBY EQ does not work, when switched on it sounds awful and the meter is stuck. that board probably needs recapped. There is also a current going through the faceplate so the ground needs to be looked at maybe the resistor. 

I cleaned the hell out of it, took it almost all apart, cleaned and waxed the faceplate and got all the grime off of it, only one light is burned out and that's the dial pointer. cleaned the amps, got all the dust out, and deoxed all the controls. It was super hard to get the two bolts off on the faceplate under the volume knob and the Dimension knob. The 40 year old glue rotted and the dial face is loose and the black clear plastic piece in the center decided to remain when I got the faceplate off so I had to glue that back into the faceplate. Let me tell you... the 4400 is H-E-A-V-Y HEAVY heavy h.....e....a....v...y.... I knew it was heavy but this is .........h.......e.......a......v.....y  :p I am learning how to fix them and fix them for a living. I got a de-solder pump and a soldering iron today and new fuses for the 4400 since they were 40 year old 1974 fuses in there. I am going to start off with re-capping my H/K 430 once I go through everything and find out what cap's etc are needed. 

I'll have to take this 4400 to Audio-Specialties in Portland, OR to get LED's installed, the dial face put back together (not confident enough to take a 4400 apart no.....) and have it checked. 
 .  Glue?

can't tell but the light is not blue, it is a dull ugly really dim green. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #9,341 of 19,145
Quote:
my Marantz 4400 is AMAZING! it brings out BASS in AKG K702 like I have never heard them produce before, sound's dance around in your head like it's 3D, it's super cool. I would not mind getting a new faceplate for it (it's kinda beat up...) other than that its great except the capacitors on the PSB, I can't really tell if it's 'glue' or they decided to defy gravity and leak all over. I am afraid to attach speakers to it (I took a risk with my K702's) because there seems to be something happening in the right channel. The scope is green, I was hoping for blue but it's ok. The DOLBY EQ does not work, when switched on it sounds awful and the meter is stuck. that board probably needs recapped. There is also a current going through the faceplate so the ground needs to be looked at maybe the resistor. 

I cleaned the hell out of it, took it almost all apart, cleaned and waxed the faceplate and got all the grime off of it, only one light is burned out and that's the dial pointer. cleaned the amps, got all the dust out, and deoxed all the controls. It was super hard to get the two bolts off on the faceplate under the volume knob and the Dimension knob. The 40 year old glue rotted and the dial face is loose and the black clear plastic piece in the center decided to remain when I got the faceplate off so I had to glue that back into the faceplate. Let me tell you... the 4400 is H-E-A-V-Y HEAVY heavy h.....e....a....v...y.... I knew it was heavy but this is .........h.......e.......a......v.....y  :p I am learning how to fix them and fix them for a living. I got a de-solder pump and a soldering iron today and new fuses for the 4400 since they were 40 year old 1974 fuses in there. I am going to start off with re-capping my H/K 430 once I go through everything and find out what cap's etc are needed. 

I'll have to take this 4400 to Audio-Specialties in Portland, OR to get LED's installed, the dial face put back together (not confident enough to take a 4400 apart no.....) and have it checked. 
 .  Glue?

can't tell but the light is not blue, it is a dull ugly really dim green. 

Nice receiver nice nice. The colour of the lights is normal, thats what the original ones look like, kind of a bluey green. If you want bright blue then yes LED's will do the trick. Also thats defo glue. It turns brown and looks dodgy as the years go by. 

Not sure about quad models but with other marantz the bulbs are quite easy to replace and there are plenty of sellers on fleabay :) They look like fuses and you simply pop them in.

I'm enjoying the K701's with my vintage amps, as you say it really helps them in the bass department. They are very power hungry cans, as hungry as Orthos.

Keep us informed. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #9,343 of 19,145
Couple of daylight shots of the Pioneer because it was dark by the time I'd finished cleaning it yesterday.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #9,344 of 19,145
You guys are just a little crazy...in the best possible way. 
size]
 I think that it takes a little wild abandon to chase and collect this gear. I've already driven to TN and SC for vintage gear (9090db and KLH 17's). And I had a blast doing it. I got ridiculous deals on both and can always flip them if I need to. 

The Sansui model 8 is fully restored and recapped. I will have a full report with pics later. Enjoy the weekend gentleman...

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #9,345 of 19,145
Quote:
Couple of daylight shots of the Pioneer because it was dark by the time I'd finished cleaning it yesterday.

Just beautiful LugBug!! I'm starting to check into collection something without a receiver. I just don't ever use the tuner and I like the look of the Pioneer you have there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back