Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #8,536 of 19,145

Quote:
Getting in a Marantz 1060 later this afternoon.

It'll be the first Marantz I've tried or heard, so looking forward to that. Am thinking about possibly using it as a preamp into a HK 730, as I've heard the pre is the weaker part of the 730 (compared to the amp).

Or it may replace my Yamaha CR-220 for backup headphone amp duties. We'll see, depends on how it sounds compared to the other pieces.

Here's the Marantz 1060.  Sounds really smooth - not fatiguing at all, for sure.

I just ordered new components and this will be my first total recap of a vintage piece.  This one looks pretty easy to work on, relatively speaking.  At the moment, I'm using it as a pre-amp into a 250W B&K amp since my speakers need more than 30W.  Haven't figured out where this will end up, but most likely in the bedroom.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #8,539 of 19,145
I think so, Pass designs aren't famous for being cheap and Naka has always had great build quality so I would say it's worth it given their track record and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it matches any McIntosh or Naim or Krell pound per pound.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #8,542 of 19,145
Quote:
Congrats lugbug, that's a really cool looking stack.

Thanks moodyrn :) 
size]

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #8,543 of 19,145
Quote:

Here's the Marantz 1060.  Sounds really smooth - not fatiguing at all, for sure.

I just ordered new components and this will be my first total recap of a vintage piece.  This one looks pretty easy to work on, relatively speaking.  At the moment, I'm using it as a pre-amp into a 250W B&K amp since my speakers need more than 30W.  Haven't figured out where this will end up, but most likely in the bedroom.

I love the look of that amp. There was a one came up recently on fleabay but it at a few knobs missing otherwise I would have went for it. Much nicer looking than the 1050. 

Good luck with the recap and keep us informed how it goes. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #8,544 of 19,145
Quote:

Oh that looks so frigging cool! Marantz <3 

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #8,545 of 19,145
Quote:
I'm torn! Yesterday, I found a pair of Khorns that look to be in great shape, respectable price (I think). And I got NO place
mad.gif
 to put them. My Sansui needs new playmates.

Gonna see if I can get lucky before summer's end and uncover maybe some JBL Studio monitors. Mind you, 
wink_face.gif
 the vintage one's worth having and discussing.

Careful with that axe, Eugene - is a title of song by Pink Floyd - and my way of cautioning against decisions that, no matter how appealing they may sound, are extremely contraproductive with speakers that have to be placed in room that does not suit them. Rule of thumb - it is much better to have too small speakers in too large a room than vice versa. I know one great installation of Khorns and it is pleasure and joy to listen to them there - before the owner moved from the small flat into present house, listening to the same pair of Khorns was a disgrace. 

It is even more painful to position large full range ESLs for proper effect - with ink invisible at dealer's, there is written "minimum (50) 70-100 meter square room required" - which more than x times dwarfs the already high price tag attached. And that ink WILL become visible once you have them at home - unless you already have those 70+ square meter listening room.

My 2c.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #8,548 of 19,145
haha...they meters are maybe the nicest ever come across. But I need to know if the amp and pre are actually any good. And current value would be appreciated. 

Oh my, the Onkyo measures 24x24. 
size]
 That's WAY bigger than my Sansui...

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #8,549 of 19,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Careful with that axe, Eugene - is a title of song by Pink Floyd - and my way of cautioning against decisions that, no matter how appealing they may sound, are extremely contraproductive with speakers that have to be placed in room that does not suit them. Rule of thumb - it is much better to have too small speakers in too large a room than vice versa. I know one great installation of Khorns and it is pleasure and joy to listen to them there - before the owner moved from the small flat into present house, listening to the same pair of Khorns was a disgrace. 

It is even more painful to position large full range ESLs for proper effect - with ink invisible at dealer's, there is written "minimum (50) 70-100 meter square room required" - which more than x times dwarfs the already high price tag attached. And that ink WILL become visible once you have them at home - unless you already have those 70+ square meter listening room.

My 2c.

Exuberance... 
wink.gif
 is my slip showing?

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8,550 of 19,145
Quote:
haha...they meters are maybe the nicest ever come across. But I need to know if the amp and pre are actually any good. And current value would be appreciated. 

Oh my, the Onkyo measures 24x24. 
size]
 That's WAY bigger than my Sansui...

Means it has a hefty power supply, which is always a good sign. The Sherwood I am getting this week is rated at 600W but output is rated at 220w RMS..

Wouldn't surprise me to see this thing clocking in at 800W+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back