Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #8,341 of 19,145
Quote:

Good luck with stopping right there. Seriously, I want to believe it's possible, for my own sake. In the UK it's a lot easier because we don't get the bargains and the opportunities that come stateside.

Being in the right place at the right time can been very costly this side of the pond. When I bought my SX1980 from a UK seller, I knew the chances of a '1980 coming up again for sale were slimmer than being the father of the next royal baby. Now two years later I shipped it to the US for a full recap and restoration (don't ask what the shipping is for 78lbs) . I'm hoping it will be part of my 'end-game' rig. 

Just because I already own a Marantz 2385 and a Sansui AU-D907, which will have to be restored (in the US), I can stop any time I want to.
ph34r.gif

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

Hahahaha (and that's some serious gear you have!)

Yeah, I'm feeling quite content tonight... But tomorow is another day. If it wasn't for damn computers I would be able to just sit back and enjoy what I've got and stare into space. But I keep getting the urge to see what I'm missing on fleabay...  Suppose, luckily (or unluckily?) for me I am really limited with funds and have to constantly sell what I'm not using to afford stuff. But at the same time- there are soo many bargains to be had! 
size]
 And I hate missing bargains.. 

A recapped SX1980 has to be the ultimate though mate. It'll be worth the cost because in this hobby you can't put a price on the best and what it means to us. 

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #8,342 of 19,145
I must say I was quite impressed by your Akai AA-5500 and started contemplating some budget deals. But that's not how I got what I have now. Although you have shown me there are alternatives to the more popular items.

I'm as skint as the next man. What I did was to focus on one or two items. Then save and not buy anything until I got what I wanted. It's a waiting game, but it can pay off. 

For example, I have a pair of HPM 100's. Got them recapped. Replaced the woofers, replaced a L-pad, then found that one of the mid-range speakers is faulty (low output). I've had to wait three months until someone was selling a mid-speaker and was shipping worldwide. Bought it this evening (from flipping Canada).

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #8,343 of 19,145
MrQ, what's the deal with the full keyboard "dump" in your posts? Just curious...

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #8,345 of 19,145
Oregonian. The guy at Audio specialties was working on a drop dead gorgeous Marantz 4300 omg lol. There's a Marantz 2238B available near me for $186 but I'd offer $100. Anyone think it'd be worth it? 100% functional.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #8,346 of 19,145
Oregonian. The guy at Audio specialties was working on a drop dead gorgeous Marantz 4300 omg lol. There's a Marantz 2238B available near me for $186 but I'd offer $100. Anyone think it'd be worth it? 100% functional.

Even $186 seems reasonable based on market pricing, if it's in good condition. If you can get it for $100, even better.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #8,347 of 19,145
The Marantz 2270 sounds warm, lush and wonderful. Fully functional now but the power button was broken off. I don't need just the button, I need the whole switch. Can this be acquired anywhere other than ebay?

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #8,348 of 19,145
You might have luck with a WTB ad in Barter Town on AK.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #8,349 of 19,145
Quote:
The Marantz 2270 sounds warm, lush and wonderful. Fully functional now but the power button was broken off. I don't need just the button, I need the whole switch. Can this be acquired anywhere other than ebay?

mouser or digikey sells a good replacement for the switch i believe.  I'd go ask around in the Marantz section at AK.  Somebody will help you out with the specifics.  as for the actual button it can probably be sourced from ebay.  Be carefull though, theres 2 different marantz button lengths for that type button.  make sure you get the right one.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #8,351 of 19,145
Even $186 seems reasonable based on market pricing, if it's in good condition. If you can get it for $100, even better.

Yes its pretty much mint condition. I want it and I hope they'd take $100. Its been up for almost three months now. I would think it does not have the Dolby FM decoder but that does not matter what so ever to me.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #8,355 of 19,145
So Matt whas the story on the 2270?
i had one that a friend and i recapped.
Im a sucker for Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back