Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #8,356 of 19,145
The 2270 was from a golf buddy and he had it sitting in his basement for many years. I offered to take it and refurb it to sell or to keep. To be completely honest, I'm not nearly as impressed by the Marantz as I hoped to be. This may not be the best time to form any opinions because my life happens to be insane right now with other stuff. Plus I've only got to listen to the 2270 for about 30 minutes with one pair of hp and one set of speakers. 

Give me a day or two for more listening to draw some more accurate conclusions. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #8,358 of 19,145
Quote:
The 2270 was from a golf buddy and he had it sitting in his basement for many years. I offered to take it and refurb it to sell or to keep. To be completely honest, I'm not nearly as impressed by the Marantz as I hoped to be. This may not be the best time to form any opinions because my life happens to be insane right now with other stuff. Plus I've only got to listen to the 2270 for about 30 minutes with one pair of hp and one set of speakers. 

Give me a day or two for more listening to draw some more accurate conclusions. 

Wahhhh?! D: The Marantz 2270 is one of the best! 

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #8,359 of 19,145
Quote:

You are correct until Volt.
V=26.8 at the beginning, how much current can run through resister? I=V/R=0.057ampere. So your headphone port has maximum 0.057 ampere, if you drive a 600ohm headphone, you get P=RI^2=1.94w. that's pretty high power.

@Pixelsphotopro, you can replace the resistor yourself like many people did. You can also build a resistor box that can link your cans to speaker post of receiver directly. Your HK pm655 can drive most phones.

Edit: Check PhoenixG's post below!

What would be the best resistance to use with my JVC HA-RX700 64 ohms? I would love to have at least 1 watt available from the heaphones output as my headphone can take it OR should I get another brand of headphones? But I love the sound of them with my flac music library and thanks for all the help you give me.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #8,360 of 19,145
Quote:
What would be the best resistance to use with my JVC HA-RX700 64 ohms? I would love to have at least 1 watt available from the heaphones output as my headphone can take it OR should I get another brand of headphones? But I love the sound of them with my flac music library and thanks for all the help you give me.

According to the JVC website, the HA-RX700 is rated at 48 ohms nominal. It also has a sensitivity rating of 105 dB/mW. Based on these numbers, approx 3 mW will drive your JVC's to 110 dB SPL!

You definitely don't need 1 watt. You don't even need 1/2 watt! Adding resistance will certainly change the efficiency, but even at 64 ohms, an amp like the little Fiio E7k will put out over 100 mW. That's more headroom than you will ever need.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #8,362 of 19,145
Quote:

According to the JVC website, the HA-RX700 is rated at 48 ohms nominal. It also has a sensitivity rating of 105 dB/mW. Based on these numbers, approx 3 mW will drive your JVC's to 110 dB SPL!

You definitely don't need 1 watt. You don't even need 1/2 watt! Adding resistance will certainly change the efficiency, but even at 64 ohms, an amp like the little Fiio E7k will put out over 100 mW. That's more headroom than you will ever need.

Thank you

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #8,365 of 19,145
Quote:

I'm just a little confused, I used my iPad from the headphone out connected to my HK PM655 CD input ( even try the AUX IN) and have to go past 12 on the volume  to get a good sound....

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #8,366 of 19,145
Quote:
MrQ, what's the deal with the full keyboard "dump" in your posts? Just curious...

Bugger!
mad.gif

Thanks for pointing that out Skylab. It's a bug in Safari. I had switched to Firefox, which then became a cpu hog, then switched back to Safari forgetting the formatting bug.

Oh well back on Firefox.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #8,368 of 19,145
There's a nice Sansui 8080db for sale on the Portland Craigslist. Not sure how the price compares but you don't see many of these. 

Just saw that. That seems reasonable at $350? And a 9090 for $649 as well........yum.:D

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #8,369 of 19,145
Quote:
I could not believe that post! Marantz 2270 is AMAZING! I know where two are that are for sale at a shop in nice wood cases but they are just too much money. I'd love to buy one of them someday...

I have a number of Marantz units and have not been impressed with any of them.  Could be I am spoiled by my Jeff Rowland amps, but to me they sound ill defined.  Lack of detail.  That said, I think the HKs, Pioneers, and Sherwoods I have heard sound good.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #8,370 of 19,145
Quote:
^^ Thanks for the info guys. Will check out both of those options. 

I buy a replacement switch from Digikey shown in the photo.  Worked great on a 2230.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back