Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #527 of 19,143

Quote:
Ooooooyyyaaaaaa! u actually bought it! LOL! i've lusted after it ever since i saw & heard it. at that time i found it hard to justify being an owner just to power headphones. plus that beast suxs like 1200w - not sure what it consumes at idle but for sure theres non of the standby mode crap. watch for how the rooms light go dim when u flip it on! 

now that i've found my "headamp", im gonna start spring cleaning on the rest of the gear & cherry pick some collectable amps of which the SX1250 is a musthave. im very happy to hear that u think so highly of its headout - im not hallucinating afterall as the ears tells me my current rig sounds pretty awesome but its hard to know without some good respected gear as a means of comparo. 

O & Congrats! it was my pleasure to give yo butt a kick in "right" direction. LOLLLLL!

ps:if ya really sincere, u can buy me a bottle if u ever find yourself in my neck of the woods :)

Dead serious, and will be very happy to buy you a few drinks if I'm ever out your way, and I probably will be at some point, as I travel a lot for work.

The SX-1250 a pretty amazing piece of kit.  No doubt.  I've got the unholy trinity now - vintage Marantz, Sansui, and Pioneer.  The games can begin in earnest!

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #528 of 19,143

Quote:
the thing sounds like crap cos surprize of all suprizes, its got a crap dedicated headamp! the best cleanest output is always off the main amp - if it sounds lousy, then either the amps lousy to begin with or its a mismatch load. IMO ofcos
wink_face.gif

That's true in many cases but not all (and remember, many if not most dedicated amps use op amps) . I personally prefer HP jacks to be driven from the main amp but my Onkyo 9555 integrated uses a dedicated head amp and sounds brilliant. With their higher-end stuff Onkyo seem to have gone to the trouble of designing a really good sounding head amp, and they may not be the only ones. As always it's a case of suck it and see.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #529 of 19,143

its a date!  wait....that just sounds so wrong & vancouver does have more than its fair of the "alternative" lifestyle (2nd only to San Fran as i hear it)! hehe. lets just call it a mini headfi meet should u come my way....wait that dont sound so right either! LMAO!

hows this - u get the drinks i get the sushi. hope u like raw fish & stuff as we prolly have some of the best sushi outside japan. & cheap too! hows $10.99 all u can eat sushi or $8 for a big plate (im understating here) of spicy salmon sashimi! & dont worry bout gettin the raw (pun intended) end of the deal as im a cheap drunk. heh

actually too bad u didnt get the 'Sui G9000 as thats more a direct competitor to the SX1250. regardless Pioneer receivers ranks in the top while Sansui's strength was in its intergrateds & tuners. another beast would be the Kenwood KR9600 should a sweet deal catch your eye.

but onwards with your much anticipated headfi game changing vintage amps vs dedicated headamps game of death. we all know who wins in bang for the buck, who goes loud, who powers speakers, who has radio, who does MC phono, who has up to 6 inputs, who has the biggest trafos, who weighs a ton, who has tone controls, so on & so on! hehe

Quote:
Dead serious, and will be very happy to buy you a few drinks if I'm ever out your way, and I probably will be at some point, as I travel a lot for work.

The SX-1250 a pretty amazing piece of kit.  No doubt.  I've got the unholy trinity now - vintage Marantz, Sansui, and Pioneer.  The games can begin in earnest!

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #530 of 19,143
Yeah there is NO DOUBT that where value is concerned, this is where it's at. Right now I am sitting in the dark, the only light coming off the face of the SX1250, playing Dark Side of the Moon. It's the closest I have felt to being 13 again in a long, long time...and I'm digging it :D But the sound isn't nostalgic - it's just plain killer.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #532 of 19,143
Well they are both VERY enjoyable!  At this point I still personally prefer the Leben. But I've only spent a few hours with the Pioneer, and it has been very impressive (also only used it with the LCD-2 so far).  And the TUNER - holy crap is it good.  Tuner is even better than the Marantz's, for sure.  I need to try the phono.  If it's good, which it very likely is, then let's see, I got a great tuner, a great phono preamp, a great headphone amp, all for $600, before you even consider that it will drive 95% of speakers in the world...yeah, that strikes me as the bargain of the century.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #534 of 19,143
VERY nice!!!  Optonica stuff is really good stuff, based on my experience with the 7305 integrated.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #536 of 19,143
Your review and pictures are what convinced me to look at the brand.  They really are nice looking.  I got it from eBay for $80 shipped from an electronics shop.  They advertised in the auction that it was fully tested and cleaned and it sure looks in near mint condition.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #537 of 19,143
That is an absurdly cheap price.  Optonica doesn't have the following that the better known brands do, but the piece I got was so amazingly well built I was blown away.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #539 of 19,143
My dad has an older Sansui G-8000 receiver sitting in his basement, anyone know anything about this model?

not my picture

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #540 of 19,143

Quote:
An Optonica SA-5206 receiver was just delivered.  It's very neutral sounding with plenty of power to drive my vintage orthos.

Hi scompton - what's the power rating on that one?  I have a 7305. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back