Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #496 of 19,142

Quote:
Zida any of the vintage amps u're looking at will be 10x overkill for your HE6 interms of power. i be seriously shocked if u can turn it up anywhere close to 12'clock high. the SA7500 powers my HE5-LE very well just not as well as the 'Sui AU517...to my ears. heres why - the 517 doesnt do bass as impactful but it goes deeper & is more 'organic' sounding. this organiness (is there such a word?) extends all the way thru out both ends. also i find the SA7500 slightly too 'energetic' up top while the 517s about perfect to my ears.

we both know the hifiman orthos dont lack for treble nor bass & its seems that the 'Sui matches the strengths & balances out the weakness about the best of all the amps i've heart. OTOH i find the pioneer slightly better for the HD650. all this to my ears ofcos. that said if u do get the pioneer, u mite also wanna keep a lookout for an AU-517/717 score & see if your tastes runs in the same vein as mine. then sell which ever amp that pleases u less as both these series are very well respected & in high demand for resale.

& dude dont worry bout THD in any of the above amps 
wink_face.gif

Thanks. I personally like the idea of getting a clean and brutally neutral amp and just letting the headphones be what they are (and maybe applying a parametric EQ if I really find it necessary), so as long as I don't feel the SA8500 is adding to the treble I think I'm going to be very happy with it. I'll miss being able to crank the volume knob, though :frowning2:

There's actually a sansui 719 available in my area. The way you raved about that series I nearly jumped when I saw it, but I don't think I'd want to spend $450 on an amp.

Quote:
if the disposible incomes not an issue, look at it this way. u are NOT really spending or buying or splurging. u are merely TRANSFERING the cash from sitting doing nothing in the bank to another financial vehicle which provides extreme pleasure - priceless btw. u can always resell for very close to what u paid if not as much or more. atleast that be how i justify my purchases to the boss. heh.

You're starting to sound like me, now. That's how I've justified all my gear on a  budget 
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #498 of 19,142
Skylab you probably know this but be sure and save your packaging as well just in case for the claim.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #499 of 19,142
How did I miss this thread?

Oh well I'm using a Fisher RS-1035 (Sanyo era Fisher) with my RS-1i and a Cyrus CD6S player.  Good match for what it does.  I might get a real headphone amp for better performance with my Grados.  The Fisher has plenty of power but I prefer a real headphone amp for it.  The Fisher is huge when you are carrying it around all over the place.  :p 

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #500 of 19,142
yaa Zida i woudnt pay $450 for the 719 either. its worth $300 as it is a 95watter after all. again u know u talking about a very good speaker amp here & its not just for headphones. taking that into acct, its actually not too bad. 

about the pioneer vs sansui, u just have to hear it out for yourself as anything i says gonna biased for my ears & taste. that said, i dont believe u're gonna be too unhappy with the SA8500. pick it up at a decent enuff deal & one can always liquidate for a profit - thats another fav line for the boss! hehe

skylab..Rob u have no idea what a monsta the 1250 is. spaces the easiest prob to fix - nice as the Sony is, blow it out as its not even in the same postal code (thats zipcode for u yanks heh). not sure what u paid but i sold my STR6800 for $200 even. i paid $120 btw :)

hell blowout the 2275 for that matter as me thinks u'll be way more impressed by the pioneer. let me refresh your memory just incase - its a 160w/channel of old school power which btw should measure close to 200w per. have u seen the innards of the big...scratch that...ginormous trafos with 4 equally crap inducin montrous power caps?? take it off at buddy pls & check it out. theres nothing tat spells good ol american excess as these monsta receivers....wait arent these things japanese? well mayb the japs did it specifically for power crazed americans! ahahaha!

if it were me, this is the receiver i'd keep over all 4 you've got. theres only a few others that i'd rather have! just do it as u'll slap yourself silly for getting a pansy sx750 850 950 heck don matter...they're all pansies. well 'ceptin the 1950/80 ofcos. now thats the receiver i'd get if i were spending your coin....
very_evil_smiley.gif

ps:xf_eek:pps theres no sx1950. my bad.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #501 of 19,142
You convinced me, Scottie. Thank god I have this site to gather my fellow junkies to convince me to score :D

If he accepts the offer I will just sell the Sony. I agree it's nice but not in the same league as this Pioneer, or the Marantz or Sansui. Plus I have seen them going on eBay for twice what I paid for it :p

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #502 of 19,142

Quote:
You convinced me, Scottie. Thank god I have this site to gather my fellow junkies to convince me to score
biggrin.gif

If he accepts the offer I will just sell the Sony. I agree it's nice but not in the same league as this Pioneer, or the Marantz or Sansui. Plus I have seen them going on eBay for twice what I paid for it
tongue.gif

I am getting a kick out of watching you buy all these receivers, The marantz 2220B is nice with the HE6 but all the detail and musicality of the Decware amps is not there. I really like listening to the tuner and did listen to CD today with the Marantz but as good as it is it not a reference lvel as my tube amps but serious fun anyway ad I like the blue lights

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #503 of 19,142
Yeah, I'm a maniac.

I pick up the SX1250 tomorrow :p

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #504 of 19,142
OYAAAAH!!! Sheeez I feel I'm living the high life thru u! LMAO. Do take lots of pic of innards & of it with the other amps. It's jus in another class. Fun isn't it....for the price of a 'pod LOD & a set of cables. To paraphrase MC Hammer "Cant Touch This.....

Btw Frank u do realize the 2220 is the bottom model of the series. The power supply amongst other things, gets better as u move up. Plus to my ears, marantz's are far from sounding the best with hifiman orthos. Jus sayin

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #506 of 19,142

Quote:
Btw Frank u do realize the 2220 is the bottom model of the series. The power supply amongst other things, gets better as u move up. Plus to my ears, marantz's are far from sounding the best with hifiman orthos. Jus sayin

x2. The receivers Skylab have purchased recently and the 2220 are worlds apart and in completely different leagues.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #507 of 19,142
I spent some time today with the Sansui 9090 and the LCD-2 - and I may have underestimated the Sansui. MAN does it sound good with the Audeze. I mean slap-your-mama good. Couldn't get enough. I also was digging the Marantz 2275 with the LCD-2, though. Gonna spend more time with that combo tomorrow, if I get any time at work where I am just on the computer working and not in meetings.

And then at Lunch I get the 1250, so we all know what I will be doing tomorrow night :D

NOW - who wants to buy my Sony STR-7800? I've seen these selling on EBay for $500+. I will make someone here a sweet deal!

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #508 of 19,142

Quote:
OYAAAAH!!! Sheeez I feel I'm living the high life thru u! LMAO. Do take lots of pic of innards & of it with the other amps. It's jus in another class. Fun isn't it....for the price of a 'pod LOD & a set of cables. To paraphrase MC Hammer "Cant Touch This.....

I bought it for the tuner and frankly it sounds good with the He6 also. I knew that the Sansui receiver were better but I more or less bought the marantz because it was very clean and priced right and for a  piece to fiddle with.. None of the receiver even if I would spend more money will be able to replace my tube amps anyway.  It looks nice and sounds good and as you move up the Marantz line it more about power differences IMO anyway and frankly I do not use it with my speakers as my tube amps keep me happy. But I will admit uif fun listening to the tuner and I did use it for the HE6 today and it was god but it wont compare to my reference Decware amps. Actually the 2220B was not the bottom of the line. The 2216B was the least expensive. The 220  series diferrences were in power. The 2275 retailed for 599..0 while the 2220B was 299.00 which was common for receivers with different power ratings. The more power the more it cost. Also to not that this is not being used for speakers so running more than 2oW for what I use them for would be overkill. But Sansui was know in the 70's to be the best receivers. But the Marantz line was no slouch. In the 70 the Japanese were trying to outdo themselves in receivers. And NAD changed all the rules by introducing the 3020 which was not a receiver but an integrated amplifier.  I was not looking to buy an expensive vintage receiver for sound as I use my tube amps all the time.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #509 of 19,142

Quote:
I spent some time today with the Sansui 9090 and the LCD-2 - and I may have underestimated the Sansui. MAN does it sound good with the Audeze. I mean slap-your-mama good. Couldn't get enough. I also was digging the Marantz 2275 with the LCD-2, though. Gonna spend more time with that combo tomorrow, if I get any time at work where I am just on the computer working and not in meetings.

And then at Lunch I get the 1250, so we all know what I will be doing tomorrow night
biggrin.gif

NOW - who wants to buy my Sony STR-7800? I've seen these selling on EBay for $500+. I will make someone here a sweet deal!

Are you using the headphone jack or the speaker taps?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #510 of 19,142
This was via the headphone out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back