Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #196 of 19,145

Quote:
that is very interesting to me. thank you for sharing this info. i'm curious tho do headamp makers ever produce the schematics of their products? or is it always shh-shh about it? i never once saw headamp schematic before. i'm curious what these guys really use in their product.

I'm sure Bottlehead does since they're supplying kits.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #198 of 19,145
I found a very modest SR225 marantz in my late dad's garage just gathering dust. I know it ain't nothing really special, but WOW does it have juice in it to make the bass in my xb700 sound like thunder. really enjoying it
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #199 of 19,145

Quote:
I only have a 1970s grundig RTV800 http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_rtv_800_hifi.html Any thoughts?

Should be a good product, germany made some really interesting products back then.  They're probably even better than the japanese.

Quote:
I found a very modest SR225 marantz in my late dad's garage just gathering dust. I know it ain't nothing really special, but WOW does it have juice in it to make the bass in my xb700 sound like thunder. really enjoying it
bigsmile_face.gif

Speaking of Marantz another anything from the 22xx series of receivers are also excellent pieces, but they do carry a high price.  I've been looking at a 2215b as a potential new receiver.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #200 of 19,145

Quote:
Speaking of Marantz another anything from the 22xx series of receivers are also excellent pieces, but they do carry a high price.  I've been looking at a 2215b as a potential new receiver.

Funny you should say that - I just bought a refurbed 2275 a couple days ago.  Couldn't help myself.  Should get it mid next week.  That will be my final vintage solid state amp experiment.  Assuming the Marantz works as planned, will probably sell the Kenwood, although we will see.

Here is the pic of the Marantz from the seller - hope it's this nice looking in person:

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #201 of 19,145
So what do you all suggest I use for a turntable/speaker only setup??  Don't need the tuner part of things so would think I'd be searching for an integrated amp.  Ideas??

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #202 of 19,145
I'm partial to Sansui, so I'd recommend a powerful Sansui integrated amp. If you like a warm tubey sound, try to find a Sansui au7900 or higher. The somewhat newer au717/719 and higher (au917/919) are incredibly powerful and have a very clean sound. They'll drive just about anything. Good thing about the older Sansui's is that they have two phono connections: mm and mc (not sure about the later series, although I wouldn't be surprised if they had that as well).

Then again, if you're going vintage, there's so much to chose from! I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. I've always wanted to try a good quality Luxman vintage set-up btw.

EDIT: McIntosh of course! Vintage tube stuff with preamp and power amp!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
So what do you all suggest I use for a turntable/speaker only setup??  Don't need the tuner part of things so would think I'd be searching for an integrated amp.  Ideas??

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #208 of 19,145
I can't afford $550 at this point in my life. Grrr. I think I will build a pair of Fostex FE126's in BR cabinets and get an active sub to compensate for the lack of bass. There are numerous vintage speakers "in my area" but at not so great prices and too far away.

Is a Garrard Synchrolab 95B worth $40 in working order? I found one. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #209 of 19,145

look for some at local goodwill. you be surprise what you find there especially if your goodwill is near a high income area(those rich people throw about anything away or donate it) i found all my speakers at goodwill for like 20 bucks most i spent. my main speakers are a pair of vintage Technics Sb-2845. wonderful huge floor speakers. only thing i had to do tho was replace the tweeters but i had spare speakers around my house. massive soundstage,natural sound and hard hitting 12'' woofers. other wonderful speakers i scored was a pair of vintage pioneer cs-77a floor speakers. very heavy around 40lbs each cause of the beautiful cabnients and the woofers and midrange was made out of CLOTH. had some nice tweeter horns as well. i'm thinking of stealing them back from my brothers cause i'm letting them use it for now with my sansui 5000x.

if you want floor speakers with killer woofers vintage sony and technics made insane hard hitting monsters where no dedicated subwoofer is needed when you crank up the bass/super bass knobs  on your amp. thing tho you might have to worry about when finding these. not all of them is in perfect condition  and you can't test them out there cause there is no available speaker wire usually and might not have any amps or receivers sitting around to plug in. can also have the possibility of foam surrounds decay cause some speakers used cheap surrounds and have to replace the surrounds or once of the speakers can be dead or possible it is the cross-over caps.

Quote:
I can't afford $550 at this point in my life. Grrr. I think I will build a pair of Fostex FE126's in BR cabinets and get an active sub to compensate for the lack of bass. There are numerous vintage speakers "in my area" but at not so great prices and too far away.

Is a Garrard Synchrolab 95B worth $40 in working order? I found one. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #210 of 19,145
EPI speakers are great as well, TT depends if you want belt or DD.  Recevier/amplifiers doesn't matter imo, unless you want to save space.

Some speakers that might be cheaper than the more known ones are General Sound (Satelitte + passive sub), EPI/Genesis, Boston Acoustic, and Magnat are some.  Axiom, PSB, Energy are some Canadian brands.  There are so many great speakers out there, you just have to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back