Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #170 of 19,143

Eltax monitor III. They are incredibly good for the money and very sensitive (sensitive enough to run with a small t-amp and still get enough volume).
Quote:
Thanks!

What pair of high efficiency speakers can I get for under $150? I may build a pair myself if I don't find anything. Also this will be powered by the aforementioned 2220B.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #173 of 19,143
hey Rex dont fret it, impedance impudance if it sounds good to your ears, that what counts. btw one can power any headphones directly of home amp speaker taps even if the amps rated at 1000w rms. only issue is u woudnt have much if any volume headroom to play with - a case of all or nothing if i ever heard (pardon da pun) one. ofcos if u crank it up im sure driver coils wont be the only things gettin blown 
basshead.gif

btw before we pan our vintage amps, have we ever wondered that its....well vintage? most are 30-40yrs old & then some. besides wear & tear, there are other factors such as corrosion, solder oxidation, cap leakage, etc etc that can & will affect sonics. unless one has done a full refurb or a service + cap/resistor replacement, i'll venture to say that alot of the amps arent sounding optimal or atleast not as when it was new - jus sayin.

have we also wondered that the headouts of these amps were designed in the era of when headphone were mainly 300-600ohms? indeed studio cans were mainly in the 600 range. its not only until quite recent (everyone scream...ipod!) that low Z cans started coming on song so is it a wonder that some cans wont sound great offa these vintages? - jus sayin.

also isnt amp-headphone synergy a large factor with dedicated headamps as well? does every headamp drive every cans superbly? wouldnt there be just one brand & one model left on the market if just one headamp is best & drove everything well? if dedicated headamps cant do it, can we ask it of our vintage amps? - jus sayin.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #174 of 19,143
Spent some time listening to the Kenwood KA-2600 today.  Pretty nice amp for $50.  Used it with the D7000.  I can hear a tiny but of hiss, but not bad.  Has silly amounts of power.  Sound was surprisingly smooth.  Not the last word in transparency, but ridiculously good for a $50 headphone amp.  Not bad looking, either:

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #175 of 19,143

Quote:
Spent some time listening to the Kenwood KA-2600 today.  Pretty nice amp for $50.  Used it with the D7000.  I can hear a tiny but of hiss, but not bad.  Has silly amounts of power.  Sound was surprisingly smooth.  Not the last word in transparency, but ridiculously good for a $50 headphone amp.  Not bad looking, either:

nice catch for $50. as far as my experiences go, Yamaha & Technics are the ones to tryout if clarity is what ya after. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneers & Kennies too are known to lean more toward the warmer side of neutrality.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #176 of 19,143
nice catch for $50. as far as my experiences go, Yamaha & Technics are the ones to tryout if clarity is what ya after. Marantz, Sansui, Pioneers & Kennies too are known to lean more toward the warmer side of neutrality.

Thanks! Yeah I prefer to lean a little toward warm, if I lean one way :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #178 of 19,143
@scottiebabie

true enough. my bad for rambling over and over again about the same thing but your right. also 600ohm headsets been around since the 60's i believe for radio telecasters. they actually used copper wire from telephone wire for the headset 1/4 phono jack i believe. my grandfather in the military always fixed up old tube radios and made his own voice coils all the time. i still have his old work table i'm using now and some of his realistic tape decks. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #179 of 19,143

Quote:
The typical impedance mismatch with the Denons must warm them up even more.  It does a nice job with my vintage Beyers.

I'm going to try the T1's tomorrow.  But are you saying it's likely that the headphone out has a high output impedance, even though this is a solid state amp?

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #180 of 19,143

Quote:
I'm going to try the T1's tomorrow.  But are you saying it's likely that the headphone out has a high output impedance, even though this is a solid state amp?

yup if u open her up, u'd prolly find a pair of resistor in series to the headout prolly 330ohm or even 470ohms. so in theory & I stress THEORY, your denons are quite possibly under damped resulting in a bit of flubby bottom hence "warmer" than usual. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back