Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #181 of 19,143

Quote:
@mythless

headphone outs on these older amps were never an afterthought really. music listening was much more cherished and cared for during the 70's and 80's untill the HT became mainstream. they just ensured that headphones don't fry by putting a dropping resistor for both the left and right channel between the power amp section and headphone out. these older amps have more then enough juice to power about any headphone you stick in the the headphone socket.

I'm in agreement with you.  Even the Bottlehead is probably similar in design.  It has two 120ohm resistors on the headphone jack, when you remove it you do get more "volume" and more attenuation but a lot more hiss and hum.  Sounds much better with the resistors in.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #182 of 19,143
Interesting, will open it up and look, but I will try the T1 and the HD800 tomorrow just for grins. Also going to try the HE-6 for grins as well, to really torture the poor thing.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #183 of 19,143

Quote:
Interesting, will open it up and look, but I will try the T1 and the HD800 tomorrow just for grins. Also going to try the HE-6 for grins as well, to really torture the poor thing.

me thinks your T1 will sound great as my DT880-600 does. cant say much about the HD800 but my buddys HD650 rocks on it too. that said, not all vintage amps sound the same even with the same make & made in the same period. the reason i've been indulging myself with amps/receivers of late is cos its fun discovering each make & models siggy.

my fav amp, a Sansui AU-517 has good bass, clarity & resolution without being cold. i can say the same for Technics, Marantz & Sony i have of the same period as they have a treble bite that the 517 dont. my other 'Suis sound even warmer & tube-like than the rest of em. all this thru the headouts as i find it much harder to discern differences thru speakers.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #184 of 19,143

i always saw 220-330-680ohm resistors in these amps. 470ohms seem unusal for me...but then again not. i only ever opened up a few in my life so far and my kenwood kr-720 receiver uses a 560ohm 1/2w resistor for both left and right channel. my 5000x uses the highest value of my amps of 680ohm 1/2w resistor for both left and right channel of the headphone out.
Quote:
yup if u open her up, u'd prolly find a pair of resistor in series to the headout prolly 330ohm or even 470ohms. so in theory & I stress THEORY, your denons are quite possibly under damped resulting in a bit of flubby bottom hence "warmer" than usual. LOL

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #185 of 19,143
i kinda had the opposite. but then again i only own a pair of akg 240s so that's why maybe but out of my kenwood kr-720,sasnui au-d7 and sansui 5000x it sounded pretty much the same in both extensions and had perfect transparency and detail. i know people will pick on me cause the price of the headphone and be ''lol 99 bucks ain't hi-fi'' :p

really great headphone and very close to natural sounding as my speakers. i guess there were a reason the 240 model is akg's longest lasting model. speakers tho i was able to tell a difference in both extensions of my amps but then again all my amps are different wpc(even tho watts don't have much to do with overall amp qaulity and built)

also who knows all this can be psychological effects of the brain messing with me or not. the brain does weird things with your senses especially if it's psychological.

Quote:
l this thru the headouts as i find it much harder to discern differences thru speakers.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #186 of 19,143
that is very interesting to me. thank you for sharing this info. i'm curious tho do headamp makers ever produce the schematics of their products? or is it always shh-shh about it? i never once saw headamp schematic before. i'm curious what these guys really use in their product.

Quote:
I'm in agreement with you.  Even the Bottlehead is probably similar in design.  It has two 120ohm resistors on the headphone jack, when you remove it you do get more "volume" and more attenuation but a lot more hiss and hum.  Sounds much better with the resistors in.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #188 of 19,143
Not sure. I tend to think about stuff from the mid 80s and earlier as vintage, but that's a highly subjective standard! You could make a case for the early 90s to be considered vintage, it's been two decades after all. I guess vintage is the product of (distance in time) * (changes in technology).

Quote:
How "old" does a reveiver need to be, to be considered as vintage?
70s? 80s? What about 90s?

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #189 of 19,143
I don't think 90's can be considered vintage.  Mid-80's and earlier sounds about right to me.

I'm going to also try my K340's with the Kenwwod...and connect my 80's Denon DP59L turntable since the Kenwood has a phono stage...that would be an all-vintage rig!

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #190 of 19,143

Quote:
I'm going to also try my K340's with the Kenwwod...and connect my 80's Denon DP59L turntable since the Kenwood has a phono stage...that would be an all-vintage rig!

That would be truly vintage indeed! Do you think the Kenwood will be able to drive the k340s?

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #191 of 19,143

Quote:
That would be truly vintage indeed! Do you think the Kenwood will be able to drive the k340s?

I will know in about an hour :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #192 of 19,143
anyone using 1950s or 1960s tube Macintosh stuff??  Separate amp and preamp and tuner combos??  Ungodly priced but glorious sound

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #193 of 19,143
So actually, the KA-2600 drives the K340 VERY well.  I'm impressed.  The Kenwood has PLENTY of oooomph for the K340.  Much better sound than with the Denon, too - so you guys mush have been right about the big ole resistor on the headphone out.

For $50, this is silly-good sound from a headphone amp.

One more fresh pic
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #195 of 19,143
NIce picture. I'll keep an eye open for a KA-2600 :). Sounds like a winner!

Quote:
So actually, the KA-2600 drives the K340 VERY well.  I'm impressed.  The Kenwood has PLENTY of oooomph for the K340.  Much better sound than with the Denon, too - so you guys mush have been right about the big ole resistor on the headphone out.

For $50, this is silly-good sound from a headphone amp.

One more fresh pic
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back