Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #226 of 19,145
All I want is a decent TT for under $50 then I will get a decent cart for $50. Then it will sit on my Marantz and play with my future Fostex cubes. I will have a cute little setup then. I saw a Pro-Ject Debut III (in white!) at Best Buy for $250, open box. I was tempted but I resisted since I read that many vintage TT's sound better for the price. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #227 of 19,145
I've seen and heard the pro-ject debut and the turntables that I have can run circles around it.  If you want new go with P2/P3 rega. 

Keep looking for vintage, let me name a few that generally go for cheap:
Realistic LAB-400/420 (though prices are getting higher) LAB-500 even the LAB-440 is pretty good
Taya DP-550 or other Taya
Sanyo Q60/Q50/Q40 and other "Plus Series"
Fisher tables with the S-Shaped arm (MT-6225 or higher)
Pioneer PL-518
Technics SL1xxx but be careful of the mk2 line
Hitachi - any S-shaped
Dual - idler,belt and DD were pretty good
Lenco
Akai - any S-Shaped arm
JVC - I had a QL-F4 great table but many JVC tables fly under the radar and can be bought for cheap.

Hrmm that should do lol I can probably name some more but I think you'd get the picture.  Don't be misled by brand names, especially Japanese that includes Marantz.  Many tables were made by CEC who OEM tables for Taya, Realistic, Marantz, and many others.  Generally speaking, any Japanese tables made in the 70s are pretty good tables.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #230 of 19,145
That is gorgeous! How many layers of varnish did you apply?

Quote:
These are just some preliminary pics. I'm still not quite finished. I still have to bolt the fisher to the case, and I still need to polish/buff the amp chassis. The brass knobs have become a little tarnished. I also have some matching speaker spikes on the way that are suppose to be here tomorrow. The speakers were a light  oak finish to begin with, but they were scratched up. So I wanted them to match my fisher along with the rest of the furniture in my office. It's been a long week. I started this process on Monday. I am an amature so please don't judge my work too harshly.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #231 of 19,145
Thanks REB! On the fisher cabinet, I used 2 layers of varnish and 4 layers of polyurethane. On these speakers, I used 3 layers of varnish and 2 layers of polyurethane. I don't know what kind of wood the speakers used, but they didn't soak in the varnish as well as the fisher cabinet did. But on the other hand, I didn't have to apply as many coats for poly urethane either.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #232 of 19,145
Feb 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #233 of 19,145
I own a NAD 3020 "i"-version. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #234 of 19,145

Quote:
Thanks REB! On the fisher cabinet, I used 2 layers of varnish and 4 layers of polyurethane. On these speakers, I used 3 layers of varnish and 2 layers of polyurethane. I don't know what kind of wood the speakers used, but they didn't soak in the varnish as well as the fisher cabinet did. But on the other hand, I didn't have to apply as many coats for poly urethane either.

O WOW I'm amazed you could mix the polyurethane with the layers of varnish.  ON my antique boats I either use one or the other, but never a combination on top of each other.  Varnish needs to "breathe" and poly might seal it.  Also did you use 0000 wet steel wool or ultra=smooth wet sanding between varnish coats?  THat would give the previous layer some "tooth" for the next layer to bebetter attached

Please don't take any of this as criticism and don't forget I'm doing boats subjected to water and weather, not indoor stuff.  And my usual coats are 12-14 layers deep.  Still, it's a beautiful projedt and you should be proud of the results

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #237 of 19,145
Feb 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #238 of 19,145

Quote:
Philips also made good turn tables. It still amazes me how underestimated that manufacturer has become...

Yes, they made very good tables and also amplifiers too.  I've been on the look out for some of their gear.

Quote:
I just won the Akai AP-D2 for $16 +$20 shipping. Good working condition but the cover is a bit scratched up. Good buy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150563423371&si=rJHfqMyJCfTbe13lsR21QzyAuWs%253D&viewitem=#ht_526wt_1139

Also what instruction should I give on shipping, if I recall correctly there was a specific way to ship a TT?
What cart to get?

Akai made decent tables, should be a nice starter.  Err look on audiokarma on packing instructions....how much you want to spend on a cartridge?  But, you should just wait and see what it comes with.

Quote:

Wow that is very cool looking!  How's the headphone out?

Pretty good  can drive just about anything but it's not the best signal ever.  Lots of background noise.  But, sounds ok, haha I just tend to use the tape out with my Kicas.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #240 of 19,145
Is there some kind of website where you can look up how much receivers, speakers, etc cost in the past and what the actual value of them is now?
I think I saw something like that once but I can't seem to find it anymore via Google.
It would be very handy to judge second hand offers, that's why I'm asking. (Pair of B&W DM14 for 50$, ao )
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back