Buying gaming headset
Sep 4, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #31 of 77
if you want a good cheap set of gaming headphones, get the Razer Barracuda's, they are awesome for their price.  They don't make them anymore in stores, but you can find them online at eBay and such.  but if you want a set of sennheiser gaming headphones, get the 350 i think they are called, they have good reviews and I am sure they are just fine being sennheiser headphones and all.  good luck!

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #32 of 77

Quote:
if you want a good cheap set of gaming headphones, get the Razer Barracuda's, they are awesome for their price.  They don't make them anymore in stores, but you can find them online at eBay and such.  but if you want a set of sennheiser gaming headphones, get the 350 i think they are called, they have good reviews and I am sure they are just fine being sennheiser headphones and all.  good luck!

You must be new here.

I'll just leave this and this here for you to look into.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #33 of 77
good recommendation SoSpecial, but I recommend the HD-555 over those audio techna's.  just because i had them and they are awesome.  that is what i am using for my gaming is the hd-555 and the zalman mic.  just need to do a little more modding.  the audio techna's sound like the hd-555 im sure, maybe even better i dont know, but the hd-555 look way better.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #34 of 77

Quote:
good recommendation SoSpecial, but I recommend the HD-555 over those audio techna's.  just because i had them and they are awesome.  that is what i am using for my gaming is the hd-555 and the zalman mic.  just need to do a little more modding.  the audio techna's sound like the hd-555 im sure, maybe even better i dont know, but the hd-555 look way better.

I think you are taking this as fact when it is most definitely opinion.

Most Audio equipment is subjected to opinions. Some prefer one thing other another. HD555's aren't really Better, but they are slightly different. AD700 are more analytical and in a game that;s pretty important to accurately perceive every sound with an amazing ( and usually larger then the HD 555) soundstage which is also very important.

Both are competent gaming cans that much is true, and both will serve you well. Both have strengths in certain areas then the other.

So it's hard to definitively say one is better then the other, and that's true of all audio equipment.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #35 of 77
AD700 trounces HD555 for gaming ime and also the DT880 (I use 600ohm). AD700 just have much better pin point accuracy and a much larger soundstage. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 77
AD700 have larger, unnatural soundstage. Shell casings should fall at my feet, not 20 feet away. They do pinpoint better when there is a lot of action going on, at the expense of zero bass impact.

Quote:
AD700 trounces HD555 for gaming ime and also the DT880 (I use 600ohm). AD700 just have much better pin point accuracy and a much larger soundstage. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #37 of 77

Quote:

I had two of these sets over a 1 1/2 years and I can attest that these headphones are junk when it comes to durability. On one set, the small screws would periodically come out (until a few were lost) and the 2nd set after 6 months, the left side will randomly go out - I looked rather silly at a lan party slapping the side of my cans while playing to get them to work correctly. Sure, I can fix them but I shouldn't have to.

I was on this quest earlier this month and settled on quite a good setup - but a bit expensive. I first went with the incredible sound card from asus, the ASUS Xonar Essence STX - it has a built in amp and x-fi quality surround sound (this card was made for HF headphones). Then for the mic, the Zalman clipon. The icing on the cake was the Sennheiser 650. Music, movies, Games... whatever I throw at them. The virtual 3d effects of the games from the card (I play mostly FPSers) paired with these cans are fantastic and I hear footsteps when I need to.

Sure, the setup is quite a bit more expensive, but I have sound now that makes anything I have ever used sound like tin cans with some string attached. The quality is amazing and they are universal with any media - unlike the razor lineup which is horrible in music and movies. There are not a whole lot of options for gaming headsets that have it all in one package yet, so this stategy like I took can work the best if you can afford it.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #40 of 77

Quote:
AD700 have larger, unnatural soundstage. Shell casings should fall at my feet, not 20 feet away. They do pinpoint better when there is a lot of action going on, at the expense of zero bass impact.

Train your ears. It's what I did and everything sounded amazing. Anyway, who needs bass for gaming. Gaming is about owning nubs and getting an awesome K:D ratio for FPS games. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:
Train your ears. It's what I did and everything sounded amazing. Anyway, who needs bass for gaming. Gaming is about owning nubs and getting an awesome K:D ratio for FPS games. 

I find that two heavy of bass is distracting, or it's drowning out the "important," sounds such as feet and grenade clanking across the ground. Just my 2cents.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #42 of 77
Just to be clear, DT880 does not have heavy bass. But neither is it weak. It has a neutral bass that you can hear clearly, but does not overpower the other parts of the sound.

Something like the M50 or DT770/80Ω or DT990 has heavy bass.

AD700 has light bass.

All of the above are good headphones that have their use and purpose.

shur1keN: That sucks that your local headphone shop is out of stock. Have you considered buying online?

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #43 of 77
to the person who said he had 2 sets of Razer Barracuda's, did you slam them on the desk whenever you lost a big hand in poker or something?  i had AA in middle position and a guy in late position had AK, guess who won.  3 kings came up on the board and i lost all my money.  sure it was a freeroll tournament, but it was the farthest i ever got and i thought i could double my already huge stack, i was so mad.  anyways, they did feel a little cheap, but they worked just fine for me because i take care of my stuff.  but if i had to do it again i would definately buy the hd-555 because they are awesome at everything.  and i just caught a glimpse of that asus soundcard it looks awesome with the built in amp on it.  if i had the money i would get that card.

also, i see the sennheiser 650 has the dual cord on each cup, how do i do this mod to my hd-555?  i know it can be done.  i think someone has a how-to somewhere here on the forum but i can't find it!

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #45 of 77

I live in a Developing Nation, too -- Philippines. It's a little harder to get gear here but I managed just the same (see my sig below)

For abuse... try the Senn HD25-II. Actually the PX200-II isn't half bad at withstanding abuse either.

Quote:
Thank you man, the problem is that those brands are not in Argentina, we are a third world country xD (crap).
To be precise I'm looking for a headset made of steel :p something like the HD800, a robust and durable headset. To lan party abuse 
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back