Buying gaming headset
Aug 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

shur1keN

New Head-Fier

Hi everybody, I start introducing myself cause It's the first time I post something in this forum.

My name is Gabriel, I'm from Argentina and I'm about to buy  a new headset/headphone.

I'm looking for a Gaming headset/headphone.

I want you to tell me the most durable headset/headphone (no matter the audio quality) from this brands; Sennheiser - Steelseries.

Money to spend: 260U$S.

Thanks !!!

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 77
Hi Gabriel, and welcome to Head-Fi!

Most of us here see audio quality as the most important thing. So it may be hard to come across someone who can answer your question well. There's an online catalog of Sennheiser's gaming headphones: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_pc_pro-gaming

I do not know much about the durability of Sennheiser or Steelseries headphones. I saw your other post, and no one has replied to that one either. So just to get things going, here are some suggestions for durable headphones from other brands that I am more familiar with.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro / 80 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro / 250 ohms (you will need an amp for this)

Keep bumping this thread once a day and I'm sure a Sennheiser expert will come along eventually.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 77
Thank you man, the problem is that those brands are not in Argentina, we are a third world country xD (crap).
To be precise I'm looking for a headset made of steel :p something like the HD800, a robust and durable headset. To lan party abuse 
duggehsmile.png

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 77
If you can't find what you need in your area, there's always online shopping. There are also people selling them right here on head-fi if you don't mind getting a used pair. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/10

Here is a DT-770 Pro for sale at a very nice price:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509189/fs-beyerdynamic-dt770-80ohm-closed-headphones

And here are a couple DT-880 250ohms for sale:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500544/fs-dt880pro-250
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508318/beyerdynamic-dt880-250-near-mint-condition-175

The DT-880s have quite a lot of metal in them. :)

Come on Sennheiser fans, won't somebody help this guy out?

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 77
just FYI, those headphones doesn't come with a mic..

when i started off gaming, I picked the sennheiser PC160, a decent headset mic with superb build quality and mic to boot.

But if are not restricting yourself to these 2 brands.. you might consider getting an audio technica AD700 with a boom mic mod.
currently using it and its great.

btw, remember to upgrade your sound care if you really do mind about the sound quality, like the direction of the bullets etc.
Get a creative sound blaster x-fi, not those creative sound blaster usb dongle or anything

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 77
Let's get it clear, I want:

+ Positional audio
+ Best build quality
+ Closed desing

thats all, I was thinking about: PC350. (but I saw the headband is too thin =S).

Thanks !

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 77
Do you need a microphone built in?

Headphones with the best positional audio are usually ones with open design. Like DT-880 or ATH-AD700. People talk about these as having very good soundstage. I have the DT-880 and I very much agree.

For closed headphones, ATH-M50 and DT-770 still have pretty good soundstage, but certainly not as good as the open ones. But I guess in a LAN party situation, that is better than hearing all the outside noise from other people. Denon and Ultrasone make good closed headphones, but I have no experience with them. But you can't beat the M50 or DT770Pro when it comes to durability.

You can also enhance positional audio by using a special soundcard or DAC. Something like X-Fi CMSS-3D, or Astro Mixamp.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 77
I started off looking at a cheap gaming headset and somehow ended up as a budding audiophile with a tube amp and a pair of HD595... It's a slippery slope.
The 595s are, incidentally, fantastic for gaming. They do positional sound and footsteps and the like fantastically... but they're completely open and not very durable. Oh, and they do music too :p

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 77
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser PC360
Steelseries 7H

I can get them. Mic is not important.
If you say that, positional audio is better at open headphones, I'd rather choose an open headphone, for me is more important know where the enemy is than do not hear people in lan parties.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 77
Quote:
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser PC360
Steelseries 7H

I can get them. Mic is not important.
If you say that, positional audio is better at open headphones, I'd rather choose an open headphone, for me is more important know where the enemy is than do not hear people in lan parties.

Whilst the closed-ness of closed headphones is great for situations with outside noise, or where you don't want to annoy others, open headphones will almost always have a superior soundstage and positioning simply because of the extra space they get to work with. If you don't mind going open, I've read that the DT880s are some of the best for gaming, and they're only semi-open. Might be a good compromise for you if you can find some way to obtain them where you are. I'd try to avoid the HD595 on durability grounds, as they really aren't up to that much punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back