Buying gaming headset
Sep 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #46 of 77

Quote:

The HD600 is more of a music phone, rather than a gaming phone.

Get the AD700 these are the best headphones available right now for gaming.

Why?

AD700 is loved the world over for gaming. Get them already.

The AD700 became popular because it is good for gaming, and is cheap.
But if you want something really great for gaming, the K701 is better than the AD700 in all ways except price.

There are lots of cans that are great for gaming as well, don't limit yourself to the AD700, but if you're just starting out then it's a safe buy to get.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #47 of 77
Quote:
The AD700 became popular because it is good for gaming, and is cheap.
But if you want something really great for gaming, the K701 is better than the AD700 in all ways except price.

There are lots of cans that are great for gaming as well, don't limit yourself to the AD700, but if you're just starting out then it's a safe buy to get.

Oh Ho Ho! Don't get these kids started on the K701, the soundstage might be larger but thats not all that is important. The K701's soundstage sounds retardily huge, much more then anyone pair of headphones should. It's main focus is for classical and Jazz music everything else on it and you might as well get different cans.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #48 of 77
I tried K701 for gaming, I still prefer my AD700 overall. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #49 of 77

Quote:
Yoga Flame
I need a credit card :p, I'm no 18 years old yet. Look these are my options, enter this site;
http://eshops.mercadolibre.com.ar/dmx+srl/listado/_CategID_3697_DisplayType_L_OrderId_CAROS
That store is the biggest in my province and that's what they have, you'll notice that everything is more expensive than your country, taxes...

Those prices look insanely high to me. Can you use Paypal? If so, you can buy used headphones from the For Sale forum on head-fi. A much better deal and certainly within your US$260 budget.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:
I tried K701 for gaming, I still prefer my AD700 overall. 

Same.

Though the k701 is a notch, and sounded like an upgraded version of the ad700 during music, it just isn't the same for gaming.

ad700 ftw..

just that i wish the pads of the ad700 has more depth, so it wont be pressing on the edge of my ears when i am using it, causing some discomfort when i take off the headphone.
I can live with that though

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #52 of 77
Well different strokes, I personally loved the K701 for gaming. The imaging and sense of space was better for me over the AD700, I am suspecting most people don't like how far the K701 throws sounds away compared to the AD700. I also liked the bass much more. 

Another can which I found to be really good for gaming is the Sony XB700, surprisingly. It had far better 3D imaging than any Grado I tried for gaming, has a huge sense of space, and even beat out the Senn HD650. 

I'm also starting to think that what soundcard you use has synergy with certain types of headphones. For the record I use an Auzentech Prelude and have CMSS-3D Headphone enabled. This works really well with the XB700 and the K701, among other cans.

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #53 of 77
Yep.. my AB the k701 and ad700 for gaming with soundblaster x-fi with only cmss-3d on.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Another can which I found to be really good for gaming is the Sony XB700, surprisingly. It had far better 3D imaging than any Grado I tried for gaming, has a huge sense of space, and even beat out the Senn HD650. 

Isn't comparing any headphone to a low-end Grado kind of unfair in terms of soundstaging? Sure the Grados are open, but they're not exactly known for being wide and airy. Beating the 650 is more of an achievement. :p

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #55 of 77
Who said anything about low-end Grados? The XB700 beats the MS2 for gaming. Though yeah I think you are thinking GS1000 or HP1000 level here. I wish I could sneak an MS Pro from my friends to try them too. :)  But take note the XB700  also beats the MS1000-like distancered, bageled and woodied Grado SR80 easily, which surprised me, and not just in terms of wideness and airiness but also in positioning. This surprised me because my modded SR80 has a very airy soundstage, larger than the AD700, almost comparable to the K701. But it was beat out in positioning easily by the XB700.

I'm also of the opinion that closed cans are generally superior to open cans when it comes to positioning for gaming. I don't know why. I'm just reporting my observations. The XB700 and the DT770 have better imaging and positioning than the AD700. The AD700 has a wider soundstage but these two are better at positioning. The HD650, by the way, was not that good at imaging for games. This surprised me. K701 though I find is still the best at this.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #56 of 77
Okay, now that's more interesting. I thought we were comparing to a stock SR60/80 here. Maybe the XB700 is just the gaming gem that people haven't got around to discovering?

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #57 of 77
Grado's, most if not all of them have nearly 0 soundstage.

The Xtra Bass series from Sony has to much bass to be considered a gaming can. It might sound nice when the bombs go off but if it drowns out the footsteps behind you then it is no gaming can.

Mochan I'm starting to wonder if you even know what soundstage is, from what I've heard with my own ears has been exactly opposite from the things you have posted. It almost seems like your intentionally misleading people.

EDIT: I need to put this in because it's relevant.

I understand there is a level of subjectiveness from person to person. Our Adjectives have different meaning from person to person. Our thoughts on certain things will very. We all have personal preferences, which makes my previous statement kind of bold for me to make. I'm the first person on this forum to say "Try things before you buy," because I understand what's right for me isn't always whats best for you or the OP. But when you are posting something in this stark of contradiction to the things I've personally heard( IE. K701 being better for gaming then AD700, Grado's having lots of airy soundstage, XB700's being great for games) with my own ears, then I am forced to wonder if either your lying or I've considerably miss-judged a whole ton of headphones, spanning from Grado's to AKG's.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #58 of 77

Quote:

The Xtra Bass series from Sony has to much bass to be considered a gaming can. It might sound nice when the bombs go off but if it drowns out the footsteps behind you then it is no gaming can.

Mochan I'm starting to wonder if you even know what soundstage is, from what I've heard have been exactly opposite from the things you have posted. It almost seems like your intentionally misleading people.

I agree

Buy a pair of ATH-AD700 for gaming...

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #59 of 77

Quote:
Okay, now that's more interesting. I thought we were comparing to a stock SR60/80 here. Maybe the XB700 is just the gaming gem that people haven't got around to discovering?

Well, Mad Lust Envy is the one who sort of prodded me in this direction. He already noted the XB700's gaming prowess sometime back.  He prefers the DT770 Pro though all things considered. But they XB700 really does have surprisingly good positioning capabilities. I was quite surprised how well they did, actually. I honestly was not expecting much.

Mind you that the XB700 will, naturally, only be a can of choice for those that like bass in their gaming headphones. Some people rather have lean bass for gaming.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #60 of 77

Hey chill, people do hear and perceive things differently.  I certainly don't need someone who thinks all Grados have no soundstage to accuse me of trolling! You should note that the Grado I am talking about is modded in like manner to the MS1000 mod. The MS1000 is widely regarded to have a wide, airy soundstage. Let's try to understand what the other person is saying before we go mouthing off, deal?

I'll write off the XB700 thing (I have no problem hearing sounds behind me with the XB700) and the K701 vs. AD700 thing as a matter of difference in needs and taste, but please do try to understand what I am saying a little better, especially regarding the Grados. 

Quote:

Mochan I'm starting to wonder if you even know what soundstage is, from what I've heard with my own ears has been exactly opposite from the things you have posted. It almost seems like your intentionally misleading people.

EDIT: I need to put this in because it's relevant.

I understand there is a level of subjectiveness from person to person. Our Adjectives have different meaning from person to person. Our thoughts on certain things will very. We all have personal preferences, which makes my previous statement kind of bold for me to make. I'm the first person on this forum to say "Try things before you buy," because I understand what's right for me isn't always whats best for you or the OP. But when you are posting something in this stark of contradiction to the things I've personally heard( IE. K701 being better for gaming then AD700, Grado's having lots of airy soundstage, XB700's being great for games) with my own ears, then I am forced to wonder if either your lying or I've considerably miss-judged a whole ton of headphones, spanning from Grado's to AKG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back