[Buying Advice] Desktop BT DAC/AMP for AA The Composer (max. USD 1.000)

Best device meeting the requirements up to around USD 1.000

• Aune S9c Pro BT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IFI NEO iDSD 2

• Topping DX7 Pro+

• SMSL M500 MKIII

• xDuoo XA-10

• Other device

• Total voters
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JetPistol

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I will need a USB Desktop DAC/AMP to pair with a Austrian Audio The Composer soon. For now I got a Grado RS2e running on my Asus Xonar Essence STX II. The problem however is that my GPU induces hiss under load which I cannot get rid of (both cards are two PCIe slots apart). My plan is to entirely replace the STX II with an USB DAC/AMP to avoid these problems.

Requirements
- Around USD 1.000 at max.
- Powerful enough to drive even demanding headphones (The Composer is not but who knows)
- XLR or 4.4 mm out on the front (fully balanced circuitry)
- Well built, non-crackling analogue volume knob, preferably matte black design
- Bluetooth receiver with latest codecs (aptX HD/Lossless, LDAC)
- Bluetooth transmitting option would be nice to have
- No preference on DAC chip (AKM, ESS, Cirrus Logic; these are all transparent anyways)

I compiled a list of devices but request your input and experience with devices in this price range.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 7
I would get Violectric V226, If you want AIO Solution, no bt tough.
If combos are ok, in that price range I would buy V800 dac and V202 amp.
Also consider Schiit Midgard + Bifrost 2

From your solutions I have heard RME, and it is good also. Excellent DAC, ok AMP.

I like slightly softer sound, and these pairigs would do so, with good power.
Also I am a Violectric fan, so bias is here.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 7
- No preference on DAC chip (AKM, ESS, Cirrus Logic; these are all transparent anyways)
No, they are not "transparent anyways". Nothing is "transparent".
Who told you that? Audio "science" review?

And to save you some money get the Nitsch/Schiit Pietus Maximus and a Modius E.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 7
I pretty much think that almost everybody that would A-B-X test two different higher-end DAC chips integrated into the (else) same circuit would have a very, very hard time to consistently separate these. :slight_smile: All these DACs in the price range I mentioned easily provide a 99+ % accurate interpretation of the digital input. However, I do not intend to discuss this matter here. I just seek input and your experience on the devices I mentioned in terms of sound, function and quality.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I pretty much think that almost everybody that would A-B-X test two different higher-end DAC chips integrated into the (else) same circuit would have a very, very hard time to consistently separate these. :slight_smile: All these DACs in the price range I mentioned easily provide a 99+ % accurate interpretation of the digital input. However, I do not intend to discuss this matter here. I just seek input and your experience on the devices I mentioned in terms of sound, function and quality.
No they would not have a hard time as shown and proven many times.
In the end your own experience (and fine-tuned ears) will prove it to you, wish you a happy journey! :)

Edit: I insist simply because the right/wrong DAC with the right/wrong AMP can make all the difference - or vice versa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back