Burson HA160 / Meier corda concerto / Graham slee SRG II / Lehman BCL / Beta22 2or3 Channel???
Jul 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 53
Ive just decided to just buy the Meier Concerto. Ive been on the same boat as you, i think ahh little too long. So im just deciding to buy the Concerto. And when i get more money i can use the HD800, Edition 8, PS100, etc etc with it. Trust me dont wast your time and energy stressing over finding a good amp just buy the Concerto. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 53

Quote:
Ive just decided to just buy the Meier Concerto. Ive been on the same boat as you, i think ahh little too long. So im just deciding to buy the Concerto. And when i get more money i can use the HD800, Edition 8, PS100, etc etc with it. Trust me dont wast your time and energy stressing over finding a good amp just buy the Concerto. 

any reason and impression?

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 53
No, i just know that insted of buying an amp that is really advertised such as the Burson amp, i thought this is very comparable and is a little easier to understand, and they have DAC's etc, that i can buy from one company. And Meier is a very respected company.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 53
The best solid state amp I've listened to aside from the Dynamight is the Beta22. I'd go with a three channel version - it gives you most of the benefit of being balanced without the hassle. Another benefit is that the Beta22 is an open project. If you ever need repairs or modification, all the information is out there. I haven't gotten around to building mine yet, but it is a wonderful amp and one of the few solid state designs I want.

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 53
You're comparing 4 mid-level commercial amps to one of the best amps available at any price (Beta22). This is a no-brainer.

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 53
Wow, it's that big of a difference.
atsmile.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 53
I read the Headphonia posts.  He built his own 2-channel.  Likely the possibly more coloured Burson (it is based, as far as I can see, on the design of a coloured amp) mates better with his HD-800s.  There is a tendency for people to build Beta 22s balanced as their final amplifier and less often single-ended or even 3-channel.  

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 53
I think the burson is good for headphones which need a little help coming to life but it might make some other headphones sound a bit to lively/bright/forward. At least thats the impression I get from it.  It makes my HD600 and DT880 sound much more punchy and vibrant. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 53

Quote:
headfonia recently did a comparison of beta22 vs the burson... was not nearly as 1 sided as you would think.

I rolled my eyes when I read B22 is bright and light in bass and lack in imaging.

seems like anyone can be a 'reviewer'.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 53
yeh, I've talked about that with Mike before. I'm sticking by my impression that the Burson is warmer than neutral. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 53
I guess it depends on what you think is neutral.  I don't find the burson to have a warm sound but then again my bias is towards warm sounding so that means I would probably perceive a neutral amp to sound slightly bright/analytical
With that bias in mind I find the burson to be neutral/transparent although it could easily be warm to some and even cold/analytical to others all depending on tastes and experience/exposure to various equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back