Burson HA160 / Meier corda concerto / Graham slee SRG II / Lehman BCL / Beta22 2or3 Channel???
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #31 of 53
Well, I can not say for all of them but I have compare my HA160 to Graham slee SRG II & Lehman BCL and the HA160 is miles ahead in terms of resolution and texture. 

I think this review is fairly down to earth: http://www.headphonista.com/burson-ha-160/

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #32 of 53
Guys, its not only the burson HA160 and the beta22 3 channel, how about meier corda concerto?graham slee srgII and lehhman BCL? anyone know about the sound and any impression especiallly with HD650? im really interested the dynalo, any impression? and how about the dynalo vs beta22 3 channel with DAC19 DSP? i think beta22 4 channel fully balance its very2 good amp but for now im not going with balance system for now, because i dont have enough money for going balance DAC and amp :) Thanks

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #33 of 53
I would not bother with the GS Solo SRG II with the HD650's.
My old SRG I was far to dark and boomy and the SRG II is supposed to have even more bass. The older 2007 model was better with the Senn's.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #35 of 53
How are the $670 Concerto and $1700 b22.3 even being considered together?  Also isn't the b22 3 channel an active, not balanced ground?

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #36 of 53
Well I have seen a number of B22 sell for under $1000 here. It really depends on the quality of components you are going to use for it.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #38 of 53
This...

Which is a large part of why I never heard/understood the advantage of an active flat line err ground :wink:

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #39 of 53
Nice graphic Solude - but what does it mean and why should we care (meant in a nice way)

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #40 of 53
Just means that in my experience paying for an active ground, ie a flat line with 0mV on it is pointless for you.  Great for the one selling you parts though :wink:

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #41 of 53

Quote:
Just means that in my experience paying for an active ground, ie a flat line with 0mV on it is pointless for you.  Great for the one selling you parts though :wink:

your graphs are misleading.

from the AMB website:  This is the recommended configuration for standard 3-wire headphones, and offers improved performance by having an active ground channel amplifier for the headphone's shared "ground return" wire. The ground channel amplifier sources or sinks the return current from the transducers, which would otherwise have been dumped into signal ground or power supply ground. This shifts responsibility for the high current reactive load of the headphones from signal ground to the tightly regulated power supply rails, thus removing the primary source of signal ground contamination. The headphone transducer "sees" symmetrical output buffers with equal impedance and transfer characteristics on both sides, rather than an amplifier on one side and a capacitor bank of the power supply ground on the other. This results in lower output impedance, greater linearity and reduced stereo crosstalk.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #42 of 53
All true yet... other amps don't use one so I chalk it up to overkill.  Keep in mind its says signal ground not signal output.  But its your money.  If nothing else a three board config puts you closer to the 4 board upgrade which actually sends something :wink:

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #43 of 53

Quote:
All true yet... other amps don't use one so I chalk it up to overkill.  Keep in mind its says signal ground not signal output.  But its your money.  If nothing else a three board config puts you closer to the 4 board upgrade which actually sends something :wink:

your charts don't make any sense and i don't think you understand the topology of active ground.  "sends something" means nothing.

a balanced signal, in one channel, has 2 input signals, both out of phase with one another.  only the differences between the signals are amplified.  noise on one signal will be on another and will cancel each other out.  there's no ground noise contamination.

with an active ground, the modulation of noise on the ground channel is no longer left to be "regulated" by the return in the PS capacitor bank as in a passive ground, instead the active ground channel essentially creates a noiseless signal by regulating ground noise contamination to a true 0V, as seen by the transducers.

overkill, maybe, but balanced would be even more so.  yes, there are many fine 2 channel passive amps.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #44 of 53
My point was that someone earlier said the b22 had a balanced ground, which it doesn't, its only active.  The graph I posted was to illustrate the difference.  The b22 3 channel will scope like the left side, balanced ground amps will scope like the right and be like a balanced system in that the voltages cancel each other out.  Thats it.  Still my opinion that a 3rd channel is not good value but its your money, have at it.  I do think a b22 is among the top amps though.  The other side of this coin is that on a 3 channel the PS now powers 3 boards instead of 2 so... meh.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 53

Quote:
  The other side of this coin is that on a 3 channel the PS now powers 3 boards instead of 2 so... meh.

The S22 could power 4-channel without any issue. The problem to care here is heat dissipation, not performance.
Meh this or meh that is ok, as long as I know what you're saying....

Quote:

your charts don't make any sense and i don't think you understand the topology of active ground. 

Exactly what I thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back