Broke my Etymotics...didn't care for them anyways. Need new CHEAP IEM's. help!
Nov 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
I've had these Etymotic ER-4's for something like 7 years now. The little plastic shaft on one of the earpieces snapped. It was my fault, not the headphones. I'm not that bummed out about it, because the sound signature never really appealed to me. They always felt super dry, analytical and...i hate to use the expression, but "less than musical".

I'm looking for a budget pair of IEM's for use at work. The greater value the better. Nothing over 100 bucks (the cheaper the better). They'll be powered by a FiiO E7 DAC/Amp.

Other headphones I own and like: HD600, SR-125. REALLY like the Sennheisers. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm just surprised you went so long with something you didn't like. My vote is for some rezeros or re0s. Probably doesnt fit what yyou're looking for thougg

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 10
The JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, Yamaha EPH100, RE0, JVC FX3X and Turbine are great sounding pair of IEMs with good punchy bass and fairly wide soundstage (few) and they all are musical (litle warm, few).

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm just surprised you went so long with something you didn't like. My vote is for some rezeros or re0s. Probably doesnt fit what yyou're looking for thougg

Long story short: they were purchased by my employer and were technically their property. They've since become "mine". Never thought of moving them on for something I like better.

The JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, Yamaha EPH100, RE0, JVC FX3X and Turbine are great sounding pair of IEMs with good punchy bass and fairly wide soundstage (few) and they all are musical (litle warm, few).

excellent. will look into all of them. thank you!

Dont waste it.. Get it serviced for $85
http://www.etymotic.com/cs/er4service.html

Interesting. I suppose I'd still be stuck with an IEM I don't particularly care for. Maybe I could move them on after repair.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Sony MH1c's. I don't listen to my ETY er4p's since I got mine. Love them.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 10
If you want something quick and easy, find someplace local who carries the Philips SHE3590 (or buy from Amazon.com).  I listen to them almost 1/2 the time with my ER-4P -- it is a fuller, more musical sound, but still has some of the detail and clarity of the ER-4P, just more balanced all the way around.  $15-20.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
If you want something quick and easy, find someplace local who carries the Philips SHE3590 (or buy from Amazon.com).  I listen to them almost 1/2 the time with my ER-4P -- it is a fuller, more musical sound, but still has some of the detail and clarity of the ER-4P, just more balanced all the way around.  $15-20.

For 15 dollars shipped to my door, they're certainly worth the shot.

Thanks for the replies...I'll check these Philips out and then work around the other suggestions.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

For 15 dollars shipped to my door, they're certainly worth the shot.

Thanks for the replies...I'll check these Philips out and then work around the other suggestions.

Thanks for the recommendation. For 15 bucks, these will do. Certainly not an amazing headphone, but I think for work purposes, what they lack might actually be an attribute. I don't think they'll be fatiguing with hyper detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back