BLOX TM5 - top earbud, competing with PK1 and OK1
Jul 13, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #122 of 159
Quote:
kostalex, I think it's best for you to add a recommended burn-in time, otherwise people will not be able to fully enjoy the sound quality, a potentail problem for all reviews and headphone owners.

Edited, now it looks like "Burn-in time is no less than 100 hrs; bass may hit too hard before this mark.Vendor recommends 250 - 300 hrs of burn-in time.

Quote:
I recently heard a fully burnt in tm5 and feel i am right by what I said earlier.  its not as good as my mx980 ;P

i stand firmly by my estimation 

Stop teasing me, I am eager to hear this mx980, but it is not available here in Russia yet. I asked Sennheiser US rep here at head-fi and he refused to provide me with a sample, because I am from RU. He recommended me to ask Sennheiser Russian office for the sample. I already know they are not responsive to the reviewers, so I even would not try to contact them.

I will get mx980 as soon as it become available in RU and will compare it to TM5. 

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #123 of 159
Well, here is the thing.  The tm5 and pk1 are very engaging in my opinion.  They've a hefty amount of coloration and are much more forward and box sounding.  Meaning its both tall and wide sounding, but not VERY wide or VERY tall.  The best way to describe them is "boxed" sounding.  They also feel like cheap junk compared to the 980s.

however, the MX980 is very neutral.  Its not as colored as the others.  It is immensely wider sounding than the pk1 and the tm5.  It also has a bass experience that makes the others sound like junk.  The downside to the mx980 is they are very large, the buds themselves do not fit in your ear, half of them do.  Anyone with a giant head, or huge ears will go nuts for the 980s lol.  When i press them into my ears ( dont recommend it lol ) they are like..WHATTTTTTT THE..OHH MYY GODDD THATS AMAZING

just an fyi, I game every day with the mx980 in MW2.  They are incredibly accurate for gaming and pinpointing sounds.  Not so great for music accuracy in that respect, but sounds appear near identical to the radar both behind and in front.  

Now dont get me wrong here, the tm5 are great as are the pk1.  If you want fun and engaging sound, get one of those.  If you want neutral audiophile grade sound and powerful bass, get the 980.  Heh, the topic is accurately titled.  "competing with the ok1 and pk1"

dont include the  mx980 in a tm5 or pk1 comparison because they are in another league completely heheh.  Kind of like comparing a grado sr80 to a shure 840 or something...meaning colored vs neutral, not wide and tall vs very wide sound

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #125 of 159
I couldn't resist... I bought a pair of Sennheiser MX 980. 
I own both Yuin OK1 and Blox TM5 and I was dying to compare them with it. So I plug my iBasso D2 and listen to a couple of FLAC and I was SHOCKED!!!! Soundstage, highs, mids, vocals and instruments separation are terrfic!!! Default sound signature is really balanced and doesn't emphasizes bass frequency, so with flat sources It seems not to have a good kick as Blox TM5. But listening to a warm source or equalizing the sound reveals the true nature of the Sennheiser MX980. They have a bass with the deepest frequency , the higher quality and they really remind me HD650. Blox TM5 can't do that. So what swbf2cheater is saying is true.  

Using Kostalex syntax...  
wink.gif

MX980 >> TM5 >= OK1

Cheers!!!

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #126 of 159
bs, now I have to get mx980?

mx980 beat both in soundstage and seperation without burn-in? Can you make a more detailed comparison?

How big is mx980 compared to tm5? are they not comfortable?

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #127 of 159

Quote:
I couldn't resist... I bought a pair of Sennheiser MX 980. 
I own both Yuin OK1 and Blox TM5 and I was dying to compare them with it. So I plug my iBasso D2 and listen to a couple of FLAC and I was SHOCKED!!!! Soundstage, highs, mids, vocals and instruments separation are terrfic!!! Default sound signature is really balanced and doesn't emphasizes bass frequency, so with flat sources It seems not to have a good kick as Blox TM5. But listening to a warm source or equalizing the sound reveals the true nature of the Sennheiser MX980. They have a bass with the deepest frequency , the higher quality and they really remind me HD650. Blox TM5 can't do that. So what swbf2cheater is saying is true.  

Using Kostalex syntax...  
wink.gif

MX980 >> TM5 >= OK1

Cheers!!!

welcome to the club!
they are indeed the best earbuds i ever owned
the better the amp the better it will sound

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #128 of 159
Quote:
bs, now I have to get mx980?

mx980 beat both in soundstage and seperation without burn-in? Can you make a more detailed comparison?

How big is mx980 compared to tm5? are they not comfortable?

Out of the box soundstage and separation are better than TM5. They are more comfortable than TM5 for me because they are a bit thicker and stay well in my ears. After the burn-in I'll make a full comparison .

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #130 of 159

Quote:
Quote:

welcome to the club!
they are indeed the best earbuds i ever owned
the better the amp the better it will sound

Thanks 2rooi123!

After the burn-in I want to try them with a powerful AMP...

be sure to give it around 200 hours of burn in
afterwards you will smile like the chesire cat from alice and the wonderland 
cool.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #132 of 159
IMHO, MX980 SQ is comparable to that of CM700; however, sound signatures are completely different. Personally i like CM700 sound signature more.
Also, MX980 usability is worst. They are huge, cable is heavy, and it seems that engineers tried to create the most unconvenient earbud design. Going back to CM700 from MX980 is like to reach the heaven.
That to say, MX980 cable and plug are really durable. But for 2x the price of CM700...
BTW, i've used MX980 for two months, so they were burned-in.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #133 of 159
Hmm. Looks like it's settled then. My TM5s are going up FS next week so anyone interested be sure to keep an eye out. The only question is MX980, DBA-02, or a full sized headphone?

Edit: They are up now.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #134 of 159
I heard from the makers that they are going back on sale in a couple of weeks. I recently tried semi custom earpiece adapters called yurbuds on a yuin PK3 which turned those Yuin's into amazing sounding earbuds, truly night and day they sound like full sized headphones now. Given the massive improvement yurbuds made to the pretty inexpensive Yuin's I'm going to try them on a more high end pair of earbuds and I have my eye on the TM5's as I like the idea that they put out a lot of bass.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #135 of 159
Yurbuds?  Can you provide some more information on what they are?

I feel there is too much Yuin and Senn hype on these forums, very little mention of CM700 and E888 for example, and no mention of E931, they are popular, so there must be something special about them.

The review method of Blox TM5 was teriffic though, and reading this thread I feel like if they are truly transparent perhaps some users are listening to their source more than the Blox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back