BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 17, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #1,651 of 5,353
So fiio q1 mk2 for your ears seems as a good combo? I now have more desktop dac, their newest fiio k3. Nice combination, difference is realy noticable when going from phone. Havent tested balanced output yet as i think it will be even beter. But also will need portable solution so still havent decided to go separate player or better dac/amp+ phone. Zishan was one of my options but as you said it has too high impedance and this ruins sound with dm6 . It should be way lower. But still i think dm6 deserves good source
Totally, to my ears DM6 & Q1 is a great sounding combo - however, I am new to the hobby and my gear portfolio is pretty small meaning i don´t have much to compare it with. I´d love to compare it to one of those sexy Sony & else DAPs but up until now I am super happy with what I have.

Yes, Zishan & DM6 works but is not the best combo due to the mentioned reasons. However with my Overear Headphones with higher Impedance and lower sensitivity it sounds beautiful.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,652 of 5,353
Totally, to my ears DM6 & Q1 is a great sounding combo - however, I am new to the hobby and my gear portfolio is pretty small meaning i don´t have much to compare it with. I´d love to compare it to one of those sexy Sony & else DAPs but up until now I am super happy with what I have.

Yes, Zishan & DM6 works but is not the best combo due to the mentioned reasons. However with my Overear Headphones with higher Impedance and lower sensitivity it sounds beautiful.

Same here, I have only heard the DM6 with a handful of gear. It is yet to be determined what it has ultimate synergy with.

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,653 of 5,353
..It is yet to be determined what it has ultimate synergy with.

I’m guessing with DM6 being all BA, anything that warms its signature up makes it sound easier on the ears and hence the synergy with copper cable and the inhouse Sony sound that I have always considered relatively warm sounding.
Also notice people are gravitating towards using eartips that improve the low-mid end.

And of course for those that prefer a very analytical sound will want the opposite setup.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,654 of 5,353
I’m guessing with DM6 being all BA, anything that warms it signature up makes it sound easier on the ears and hence the synergy with copper cable and the inhouse Sony sound that I have always considered relatively warm sounding.
Also notice people are gravitating towards using eartips that improve the low-mid end.

And of course for those that prefer a very analytical sound will want the opposite.
Exactly, a little bit more warmth for dm6 should make them easier for ears and more relaxed. I feel so. BA makes them a little bit hot on treble. For my ears when using default cable so copper is the best way to give themtmore warmth. Also warmer source. Sony for me also associates with more warmth than other sources. Ofcourse it's not alway the rule. But someone said hiby r3 also good combo. As r3 is more darker warmer sounding. So this signature goes well for dm6

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,655 of 5,353
I've been very pleased using my DM6 single-ended out of an Apple USB-C DAC dongle from a Pixel 3 XL (irrelevant, because it's just a straight-up digital source, just like any iPhone sending out digital audio over Lightning), with 320kbps MP3s and FLACs where I have them.

Couple reasons:

* I don't want to carry a lot of stuff. I don't even carry a bag or backpack; I have a laptop in a sleeve and my phone in my pocket. I have two keys on my keyring and a Slimmy X wallet. I really want not to drag a bunch of stuff around.

* Streaming is just too convenient. Especially because tmobile doesn't count data used in music apps against your data allowance, so I can just download any of the god-knows-how-many albums Google Play Music has access to in 320 quality no matter where I am.

* The DM6 are incredibly sensitive. They don't need a lot of power to drive, and they're not going to play nice with additional noise added by adding more links in the chain, as it were. They also have low impedance (not unrelatedly, but still), so I don't have to worry about doing fancy impedance matching.

* I already have the 3XL and have it with me basically 24/7. The Apple dongle is literally $9 shipped straight from Apple and has better measurements in terms of output than pretty much any consumer product of this sort at even >10x the price--except for the power output, which, as discussed, doesn't really matter here.

I'm fairly content :)

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,656 of 5,353
I’ve spent at least the same cost on tips as I have done on the DM6.

For my ears the following fit the best:

Earsonics large silicone tips:
http://www.earsonics.com/store/produit/tips-silicone-mono-flange/
Final Audio Edge Style Serieos Type E (size LL) are also great.
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fin...ype-e-black-assorted-ss-s-m-l-ll-5-pairs.html
Equally well fitting are the Symbio W (large), however, for me, these also reduce the treble a touch and the mids:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/mandarines-symbio-eartips-w-widebore.html

Stock tips are great as well.

For that amount you could of got a set of impressions done and gone custom :)

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,657 of 5,353
- post removed for convenience -

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,658 of 5,353
Yeah, that DSP technology I spoke about here, is pretty much what makes even compressed music sound good. The same thing on my axon 7, and it's the same thing on the 1Z and so on, What it does, it tries to "reconstruct" the compressed/clipped harmonics, using various tricks in the pipeline (SoX algorythm upsampling > a sophisticated EQ at the right fundamental/harmonic notes> randomizing quantization error - dither, and then applying a roll-off filter).

Basically, even my sub 320kbps mp3's sounded good. Still fuzzy compared to my lossless library, but well... You can't beat the actual information, with a "reconstruction".

- - -

And now, a small talk about balanced outputs again (plus a fun experiment), if you feel like having fun with me. :darthsmile:

So, most of you already know, that balanced pretty much allows more power WITHOUT LEAKAGE, which basically sacrifices "dynamics" (just to clarify - leakage sacrifices dynamics/stereo). But, as I've said in my post here, balanced for most DAPs means - more noise. It's basically choosing one at the expense of the other (more noise - less resolution, with better dynamics and stereo separation - balanced, vs. less noise and more channel leakage/less dynamics - single end).

In theory, a source with very low internal impedance from a good single end should be better than a high power balanced output with the DM6 (but still, dynamics should be a bit better with balanced every time, just because there is nothing that can cause leakage, even if we are talking about very low-power signal).

If those Sony DAPs sound better in balanced with the DM6 (which doesn't require a lot of juice, so low-powered sources should be fine driving it properly), it's most likely because the single end output is not very good. But I can't say for sure, because I don't have one at hand, and probably never will (these things cost more than my life :ksc75smile:). So, take this as a "theory". Or, the DM6 is really showing the breaking point of sensitivity (which we kinda know already LOLz), and every bit you can squeeze of your source in terms of channel separation noticeably helps it and it's dynamics.

The ultimate practical test everyone here can do to understand what channel leakage does, something that pretty much every smart phone suffers from (including the LGs), aside from the Axon phones per my experience, is that channel leakage, or stereo crosstalk test. To understand what I'm trying to say, here's the following experiment you can try.

Get foobar2000 for your phone (or if you have an Android based DAP), and turn on the "Meier Crossfeed" DSP (for those that don't know what crossfeed is, check this post). Here's some instruction pictures:

Yeah, once you've activated the "Meier Crossfeed" DSP, play with the setting while listening to music (less crossfade means stereo, higher means mono). Now, the amp leakage is a amp deficiency/flaw of course, and the crossfade DSP is a "feature" that aims to correct the biggest problem that exists with Headphones/earphones/IEMs, which is STEREO (most music is recorded with speakers in mind, where both of your ears hear both channels, with lets say your right ear hearing the left channel slightly out of phase, or we should say phase delay, which gives us humans our directional hearing :wink:).

What we are doing here, is for you guys to experience what happens when there is channel leakage (or the exaggerated difference in "dynamics" between single-end and balanced outputs). And I will let you hear for yourselves without spoiling the answer, but if you really want to cut down to the chase, the answer is in the spoilers:

DYNAMICS, from which the soundstage gets congested and narrow, the more you go up the crossfade levels. It's exactly what happens with bad single ends with lots for leakage, and why DAPs exist, to correct a flaw that pretty much every phone has.

BTW, you can use my test song from this link if you want. I use it to test bass, and channel separation (stereo).

(can't embed it here for some reason)

There are several repeating very fast channel sweeps on this song (from the sample, its's at these marks - 00:41-00:45, 00:48-00:52; 00:57-01:00, 01:04-01:08).

You can make an experiment for me, and compare the difference you can hear between your single-end outputs, and your balanced outputs. The balanced output should make you completely "blind" at these marks, completely not able to hear what is being played. You can try the song on speakers, or down-mix it to mono to see what is actually there.

Yeah, these are two fun experiments you guys can do. Have fun, and don't forget to get back and share your results. :wink:

I have the Fiio X7mk2 paired with the cayin c5 amp and in balanced out on the Fiio, I can't for the life of me convince myself it sounds better. I've done the listening over and over and always revert back to unbalanced end where it sounds best. The dm6 with the stock large gray tips and the **** copper wire is giving exceptional sound. Amazing. If I want a warmer sound I turn to my Sony Walkman ZX2 dap. But I have gotten used to the gorgeous sounding mids on the Fiio. This is where the sony sounds warmer because sony has a dip between the 2-4khz making them warmer sounding but losing a hint of more instrument detail. So for those with treble sensitivity, the Sony walkman is it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,659 of 5,353
Yeah, that DSP technology I spoke about here, is pretty much what makes even compressed music sound good. The same thing on my axon 7, and it's the same thing on the 1Z and so on, What it does, it tries to "reconstruct" the compressed/clipped harmonics, using various tricks in the pipeline (SoX algorythm upsampling > a sophisticated EQ at the right fundamental/harmonic notes> randomizing quantization error - dither, and then applying a roll-off filter).

Basically, even my sub 320kbps mp3's sounded good. Still fuzzy compared to my lossless library, but well... You can't beat the actual information, with a "reconstruction".

- - -

And now, a small talk about balanced outputs again (plus a fun experiment), if you feel like having fun with me. :darthsmile:

So, most of you already know, that balanced pretty much allows more power WITHOUT LEAKAGE, which basically sacrifices "dynamics" (just to clarify - leakage sacrifices dynamics/stereo). But, as I've said in my post here, balanced for most DAPs means - more noise. It's basically choosing one at the expense of the other (more noise - less resolution, with better dynamics and stereo separation - balanced, vs. less noise and more channel leakage/less dynamics - single end).

In theory, a source with very low internal impedance from a good single end should be better than a high power balanced output with the DM6 (but still, dynamics should be a bit better with balanced every time, just because there is nothing that can cause leakage, even if we are talking about very low-power signal).

If those Sony DAPs sound better in balanced with the DM6 (which doesn't require a lot of juice, so low-powered sources should be fine driving it properly), it's most likely because the single end output is not very good. But I can't say for sure, because I don't have one at hand, and probably never will (these things cost more than my life :ksc75smile:). So, take this as a "theory". Or, the DM6 is really showing the breaking point of sensitivity (which we kinda know already LOLz), and every bit you can squeeze of your source in terms of channel separation noticeably helps it and it's dynamics.

The ultimate practical test everyone here can do to understand what channel leakage does, something that pretty much every smart phone suffers from (including the LGs), aside from the Axon phones per my experience, is that channel leakage, or stereo crosstalk test. To understand what I'm trying to say, here's the following experiment you can try.

Get foobar2000 for your phone (or if you have an Android based DAP), and turn on the "Meier Crossfeed" DSP (for those that don't know what crossfeed is, check this post). Here's some instruction pictures:

Yeah, once you've activated the "Meier Crossfeed" DSP, play with the setting while listening to music (less crossfade means stereo, higher means mono). Now, the amp leakage is a amp deficiency/flaw of course, and the crossfade DSP is a "feature" that aims to correct the biggest problem that exists with Headphones/earphones/IEMs, which is STEREO (most music is recorded with speakers in mind, where both of your ears hear both channels, with lets say your right ear hearing the left channel slightly out of phase, or we should say phase delay, which gives us humans our directional hearing :wink:).

What we are doing here, is for you guys to experience what happens when there is channel leakage (or the exaggerated difference in "dynamics" between single-end and balanced outputs). And I will let you hear for yourselves without spoiling the answer, but if you really want to cut down to the chase, the answer is in the spoilers:

DYNAMICS, from which the soundstage gets congested and narrow, the more you go up the crossfade levels. It's exactly what happens with bad single ends with lots for leakage, and why DAPs exist, to correct a flaw that pretty much every phone has.

BTW, you can use my test song from this link if you want. I use it to test bass, and channel separation (stereo).

(can't embed it here for some reason)

There are several repeating very fast channel sweeps on this song (from the sample, its's at these marks - 00:41-00:45, 00:48-00:52; 00:57-01:00, 01:04-01:08).

You can make an experiment for me, and compare the difference you can hear between your single-end outputs, and your balanced outputs. The balanced output should make you completely "blind" at these marks, completely not able to hear what is being played. You can try the song on speakers, or down-mix it to mono to see what is actually there.

Yeah, these are two fun experiments you guys can do. Have fun, and don't forget to get back and share your results. :wink:

Actually I don’t use any of the low file quality upscaling the Sony DAPs otter; I use them in “direct mode”. I have a belief that a better reproduction system will by default make lower quality files sound better. Though there is no way to repair anything lower than 320kbps; so I avoid it. Balanced is noted uniformly to help with imaging and increased soundstage, and it continues to provide that in this situation. Single ended is fabulous too. But I have very little experience with DAPs. I have heard the whole FiiO line as well as regular IPods and phones. Of course much of this is purely subjective, though. I would guess folks are not quite as picky choosing DAPs as headphones?

It seems the DM6 is fairly sensitive so getting the blackest background is important and noticeable. But I think the most surprising thing is how much the sound of the DM6 changes with cable change-outs and DAP switches. Tip choice and fit are also top of list helping the DM6 get to the desired sound. It seems the DM6 has the ability to morph into many sound signatures depending on what is upstream. There does not seem to be any reasonable explanation for this as most other IEMs both less expensive and more expensive fail to adjust in such manner?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,660 of 5,353
Here are measurements for the Apple USB C adapter, by the way. You can compare to their lightning adapter, too.

index.php

The latter review is more detailed than the former, but I'm assuming that Apple didn't downgrade their internals for this adapter, as they have a tendency to only strictly improve the internals of their devices. I dunno, I just can't physically see why anything would do better than this—but I'll see how my new cable sounds when it comes some time in the next week, so maybe there's something to it anyway!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,663 of 5,353
After almost 2.5 months, they finally arived.

Firstly i surprised how big they are against my previous earphones, but more comfortable than all.

I listen with stock cable and tips, mids and highs was too sharp and light on bass for my taste. Then i immediately changed cable to Nicehck 8 Core Copper Cable (i already bought it according to your suggestions, also angled jack no go for me) and after some tip rolling, settled on large KZ tips. They become warmer and bass has more weight now. I was a little sceptic about it but apparently cables and tips really do change the sound, you guys are right.

Only IEM i have right now is Vsonic Gr07 BE. I didn't have much time for comparison but first thing i noticed DM6 is so much louder. I will do some comparisons with them when i got time.

For now, i liked DM6 very much, really happy with them.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #1,664 of 5,353
After almost 2.5 months, they finally arived.

Firstly i surprised how big they are against my previous earphones, but more comfortable than all.

I listen with stock cable and tips, mids and highs was too sharp and light on bass for my taste. Then i immediately changed cable to Nicehck 8 Core Copper Cable (i already bought it according to your suggestions, also angled jack no go for me) and after some tip rolling, settled on large KZ tips. They become warmer and bass has more weight now. I was a little sceptic about it but apparently cables and tips really do change the sound, you guys are right.

Only IEM i have right now is Vsonic Gr07 BE. I didn't have much time for comparison but first thing i noticed DM6 is so much louder. I will do some comparisons with them when i got time.

For now, i liked DM6 very much, really happy with them.
KZ stars are the go to tips. Fit these perfectly.
Also the DM6 loves high quality music files. 24bit files sound really good.
The higher the quality of music you feed it, the better it does.
Copper cables are the only way to go.
Enjoy, you got a good iem :)
Pairs well with the ZX300.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,665 of 5,353
KZ stars are the go to tips. Fit these perfectly.
Also the DM6 loves high quality music files. 24bit files sound really good.
The higher the quality of music you feed it, the better it does.
Copper cables are the only way to go.
Enjoy, you got a good iem :)
Pairs well with the ZX300.
+1 this for DMG as well.

I just received some free KZ Stars, and I was curious as to what effect they would have so I plugged them on my DMGs (which usually wear Spinfits are Final E) and it'a like I'm wearing a completely different set of iems. It doesn't isolate as well as the other two, but it does reduce bass by quite a bit (the Final E seem to increase base by a lot) which makes the usual mid bass that can sometimes bleed sound so much cleaner. It seems to make it more susceptible to treble peaks but, this is pretty fun and interesting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back